Tips

alliecat1970

Not trying to get out of paying them, I like the old way better envelopes, I hand them to the staff eye contact, a thank u for how wonderful u made my cruise and how it is appreciated, this is my question can u still do it this way, I did allure in May and I went with the new way, but I didn't care for it, it's just not personal, so will carnival let me go with the old way or not?

thanks Janet rae

Yes, you can. You can have Guest Services remove them from your account and you can pay them as you see fit.

The only thing with this is there are many "behind the scenes" people that get them by paying them up front, where as you are more likely to just give them to the obvious ones, ie; room steward, waiter, etc.

Just some food for thought.

Thank u, I didn't really consider that, I guess I will stick with the new way, I do not want to short change anyone,nor would I want that done to me. thanks again janet

You could just give a few extra bucks like that explaining that they will still be getting what you've already paid on your account, but you just wanted to thank them personally. You could even just thank them personally and not give the extra money too.

Yes you can do it the old way. I like it a lot better also. Always do this.

How do you get the behind the scenes people because all of that money is split between a whole lot of different people.

Voyages departing December 1, 2011 through October 8, 2014; the total amount is $11.50 per guest, per day and breakdown as follows:

• Stateroom service team $3.70 per day

• Dining room service team $5.80 per day

• Alternative services team* $2.00 per day

(*galley, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members)

Voyages departing October 9, 2014 onward; the total amount is $12.00 per guest, per day and breakdown as follows:

• Stateroom service team $3.90 per day

• Dining room service team $6.10 per day

• Alternative services team* $2.00 per day

(*galley, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members)

Edited by Rh2458

Alliecat1970, You might like to do what DH and I do. We leave our automatic tips in place and still do the old envelope system at the end of the cruise with a little extra for each of the people we choose to "thank personally".:)

We bring tiny envelopes on which I have stamped "Thank You for Everything", and place the last night's (extra) tip amount in these, writing the crew member's name on the back of each envelope to make it easy to hand out.

We find this system works the best for us. We, too, like the "old way", but also appreciate the convenience of the automatic gratuity that gets to everyone it should.

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise!:)

Thank u, I didn't really consider that, I guess I will stick with the new way, I do not want to short change anyone,nor would I want that done to me. thanks again janet

Good idea. It works best that way. There are many threads on tipping here, with many reasons given for removing some or all the tips for the sign and sail account. If you are so inclined, go down to the main lobby and hang around guest services. Very saddening and somewhat entertaining to hear all the "made up" reasons people are giving for removing tips.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Good idea. It works best that way. There are many threads on tipping here, with many reasons given for removing some or all the tips for the sign and sail account. If you are so inclined, go down to the main lobby and hang around guest services. Very saddening and somewhat entertaining to hear all the "made up" reasons people are giving for removing tips.

very true

You hang around guest services to listen to peoples conversations? Very saddening indeed. The cruise line gives people the option of what to do; there is no problem with people making use of any of the options. Who are you to say what is best? What you feel is best is what is best for YOU. Carnival offers choices to people; all we can do here is let others know what those choices are

If I have an issue with service either on a cruise or a restaurant, I don't reflect my complaint in the tip. That doesn't improve service. I will ask to speak to the manager relaying my complaints. Workers in the service industry won't change their mediocre work ethics from not receiving a tip, but they will if a manager addresses the issue with them.

You hang around guest services to listen to peoples conversations? Very saddening indeed. The cruise line gives people the option of what to do; there is no problem with people making use of any of the options. Who are you to say what is best? What you feel is best is what is best for YOU. Carnival offers choices to people; all we can do here is let others know what those choices are

Kind of a snarky comment, no? I didn't take the Op's statement about listening as something that they do on a regular basis, just that if you're by guest services it's upsetting to hear some of the "reasons' people use to be cheap. Do I think there's a time when a certain one person shouldn't be tipped, yes, but I also think those are few and far between. It seems like it's a pretty common occurrence among some that travel on Carnival of the OP has heard excuses before.

Originally Posted by LMaxwell viewpost.gif

Kind of a snarky comment, no? I didn't take the Op's statement about listening as something that they do on a regular basis, just that if you're by guest services it's upsetting to hear some of the "reasons' people use to be cheap. Do I think there's a time when a certain one person shouldn't be tipped, yes, but I also think those are few and far between. It seems like it's a pretty common occurrence among some that travel on Carnival of the OP has heard excuses before.

RH2458,

I totally agree with you on all points.

Jeeez....calm down and have some coffee. I read no ill intent on the part of the poster. Quit trying to be the morale police.

In response to the original question yes you can do that. My wife and I will just do the auto tips and usually the very first time we meet our cabin steward will give him or her some money from the start thanking them for all the work they do and taking care of us for this upcoming cruise. And then at the end give them a little more if they have done a good job. It seems as though we have received the best service and our room had been extra clean/straightened up/extra ice/ whatever during the time of the cruise. We also give extra to others at the end as we see fit.

Carnival Pride 7 day Mexican Riviera: September 2008

Carnival Inspiration 4 day Mexican Riviera: September 2013

Carnival Miracle 15 day Hawaii: coming October 2015

Edited by losijon

Sorry, I'm a realist. Have been cruising for over 20 years. In the old system, there were those who did not tip. It's probably the same type of folks who remove the auto tips. While I believe there are people who remove auto tips and DO tip, I think there are still non-tippers out there. For good or bad, here in the US, the system is based on tipping. I consider the auto tips as part of the fare. We do tip for extra service. I am going to start throwing a couple dollars on the laundry bag (we are platinum) as it makes more work for our steward. We always tip for room service (love that coffee in the a.m.)

Sorry, I'm a realist. Have been cruising for over 20 years. In the old system, there were those who did not tip. It's probably the same type of folks who remove the auto tips. While I believe there are people who remove auto tips and DO tip, I think there are still non-tippers out there. For good or bad, here in the US, the system is based on tipping. I consider the auto tips as part of the fare. We do tip for extra service. I am going to start throwing a couple dollars on the laundry bag (we are platinum) as it makes more work for our steward. We always tip for room service (love that coffee in the a.m.)

+1

Room service ALWAYS gets a generous tip from us as well. All of these people work their tails off and we try to show our appreciation.

Carnival Pride 7 day Mexican Riviera: September 2008

Carnival Inspiration 4 day Mexican Riviera: September 2013

Carnival Miracle 15 day Hawaii: coming October 2015

I'm so happy to read a thread with so many comments about the importance of tipping and the great service that supports our desire to tip well. We have had some amazing experiences with our cruises and happily auto pay and tip extra as the need arises. It is really increasing the anticipation of our next cruise this winter.

Not trying to get out of paying them, I like the old way better envelopes, I hand them to the staff eye contact, a thank u for how wonderful u made my cruise and how it is appreciated, this is my question can u still do it this way, I did allure in May and I went with the new way, but I didn't care for it, it's just not personal, so will carnival let me go with the old way or not?

thanks Janet rae

Absolutely. It's one of the three options they avail you, and a recent poll on John Healds page asking such showed there are many that still tip in cash.

It's what we do as well.