Which day for beach vs. snorkel?

Tggrtoes

Hi there - posting this is St. Thomas and St. Martin threads. I want to have a family beach day either in St. Thomas or St. Marting with DH and DS. Then, on the other day, DH and I want to go out snorkeling with DS staying on ship with grandparents. I am considering Capt Bob in St. Martin, which would leave the beach day for St. Thomas. (Perhaps Megans Bay?) But have not yet made up my mind.

If you've been to both locations, where would you choose to have your beach day with the family - and where would you choose to do the snorkeling? (Recommend tour if you have one).

We aren't serious snorkelers but enjoy it - and I might have a drink but we're not big drinkers. We are fine doing our own thing (non ship).

Thoughts?

Why not include ds in snorkeling? St Thomas has very good snorkeling from the beach and you can see fish in some shallow waters. Calm enough most times for all ages.

St Thomas for snorkeling. St Martin for beach.

You might consider doing your snorkeling on your port stop in St. Thomas and going to St. John. Great snorkeling at Trunk Bay in St. John. Lots better snorkeling than St. Maarten.

St. Maarten makes a wonderful Beach Day. Orient Beach is lovely. :)

LuLu

Although you can find decent snorkeling around St Martin, St Thomas is typically more preferred as a snorkeling destination than St Maarten, whether off the beach or off the boat. We would choose one of the 3 excellent snorkeling beaches on St Thomas for off-the-beach snorkeling. Coki, Sapphire, or Secret Harbor are the most popular, all with amenities. For a daysail there are some excellent operators like High Pockets and Yacht Nightwind out of the East End. But if you decide on a beach day on St Thomas I'd highly recommend Sapphire Beach. Lots of natural shade, gorgeous beach and water and island views, and a couple food and drink options to choose from. ANd you can also skorkel there if you get the urge.

St Maartin and St Martin have some very nice beaches for a family day. Depending on the vibe you want Baie Rouge and Friar's Bay are beautiful; the north end of Orient Bay has several beach shacks if you want something more like on the ship.

An excellent daysail from near where you dock at Philipsburg is the Golden Eagle (sailing sxm dot com). One of our favorite ever excursions, we've taken their 1/2 day sail when cruising to SXM and their full-day Farewell tour when staying on SXM. Whether you snorkel nro not, just a great day on the water with an excellent crew and a fabulous lunch.

Whatever your choices have a great cruise! :)

Thanks everyone for the very helpful advice! Based on the consistent feedback, we will definitely make St. Thomas (or St. John) our snorkel day. Now, just have to figure out where to go and/or what tour to book. :D

Still am considering whether we do something low key so that DS can join us, but he's scared to do anything more than waist deep (even though he can swim fine being from AZ! ;)) and DH and I want to get out a bit more from shore. Could certainly adjust that, but I'm thinking DH and I will be happy to have the grown up time and DS will have more fun doing something fun with grandma/grandpa - since they don't really care to do anything in port having done this itinerary over 10 times already. (Crazy! :eek:) Will talk to DS again and get his input - it's his vacation too!

Thanks again!!!!

An option would be for you and your husband to do a snorkel trip while your parents take your DS to Coral World on St. Thomas.

There are lots of things geared for children to see and some hands-on exhibits your DS would probably enjoy.