Post Your Cabin Temperature

BigEasyCC

I have to believe that the temperature in our staterooms has been below 75 degrees every time we have sailed. I was too cold for it not to have been. From the posts I've been reading this "warm" room issue must not be consistent across the cruiseline. To be quite honest I've never noticed a difference between NCL, CCL, or Princess, inside room or balcony. DH always has the rooms pretty chilly to the point where I need to head outside to warm up or hide under the covers. DH seems to have had the "choice".

I've mostly been reading that this is an issue on the Dream. I just hope my two balcony cabins aren't affected.:(

I've mostly been reading that this is an issue on the Dream. I just hope my two balcony cabins aren't affected.:(

Hopefully it won't be an issue. If you are going in the next month or so and are in an aft balcony cabin, you may want to bring a small fan to be on the safe side.

I found on RCCL once we left our curtains open to the balcony while we were in port in Jamaica and it took until late that night to get even a little cooler. But that was my fault, not the ships...

Weeeeeeeelllllllll we are leaving saturday on our cruise and my thermometer is already packed. Been reading about poor a/c and other bad things so we will see saturday night.

and i will be a CS desk until something is done, my miss part of my cruise but they will get tired of me at the desk.

I think people are missing the whole point here. It's not about who likes it cold and who likes it hot. It's about being able to have the "choice" to adjust the temperature in your own cabin.

The folks that like it warm in their cabin certainly have that option as it stands today. However, the people who prefer a colder environment DON'T have the option of keeping it cool. We are being told it can't dip below 75 degrees (WAY too hot for most of us).

We deserve to have the "choice" just like everyone else on board.

I understand completely. Having an exact and absolute numerical temperature is important to show that there is indeed a problem, not simply "I'm hot" or "I'm cold." Being able to prove a definitive number is the only way to show the cruise line that there is indeed a problem-or not.

I would like to think that the cruise lines have a range of temperatures possible to keep all guests comfortable. What those temperatures actually are would be anyone's guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

how many people leave the balcony doors open so they can hear the ocean? if all of them shut the doors that would help alot. i talked with one man that was complaining about the tempature in his room but he left door open, he told me it should be able to cool it with it open, even if he had to put something in door to make ac run. dont know how they expect it too keep up.

Exactly. I would venture a guess that the ship uses large chillers for space cooling. People leaving balcony doors open in the hot and humid Caribbean will increase the return air temperature and humidity, thus causing the chiller to lose efficiency. With a home AC system, it should be able to maintain a temperature drop of about 20 degrees colder than the return air temperature at 50% humidity or lower. Once you begin introducing warmer air and higher humidity, that temperature difference may drop considerably.

For those that think the AC will maintain temp with the balcony door open, try leaving your front door wide open on your house for 8 hours on humid weather and see just how well it works--not very.

So, if there are let's day 20 cabins in one zone, 10 of them are balcony cabins and a few people leave their balcony doors open, that will bring in warm, humid air, and affect ALL cabins on that zone. Most likely, the thermostat controls a volume air damper that simply opens and closes to adjust the VOLUME of airflow. Your thermostat at home does not control the temperature of the air coming from the vents. The temperature of air is determined by return air temperature, proper refrigerant charge, airflow, ductwork, etc. By people leaving their doors open, they are creating a higher return air temperature which in turn causes a higher supply air temp

Weeeeeeeelllllllll we are leaving saturday on our cruise and my thermometer is already packed. Been reading about poor a/c and other bad things so we will see saturday night.

and i will be a CS desk until something is done, my miss part of my cruise but they will get tired of me at the desk.

Please report back to us! Enjoy your cruise!

According to the many technicians who came to my cabin on the Dream the week of 8/17/14 - 8/ 24/14, Carnival's standard for acceptable temperature measured directly in the vent is 70 - 75 degrees. Please see my Dream review of today. My cabin temperature was always above standard. We sweated through our clothes every night.:

According to the many technicians who came to my cabin on the Dream the week of 8/17/14 - 8/ 24/14, Carnival's standard for acceptable temperature measured directly in the vent is 70 - 75 degrees. Please see my Dream review of today. My cabin temperature was always above standard. We sweated through our clothes every night.:

Well a 75 degree supply temp will not cool very well. I would expect the temp to be more in the mid 50 to 60 range. They need to do some refrigeration work then or change their standards.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Forums mobile app

Just got off the Dream 2 weeks ago. Room was very hot to me with balcony doors and curtain closed. Maintence was called and we told 76 degrees is considered the right room temperature. With 2 fans running we were able to sleep.

If you saw my pic a couple of pages back, you'll see that our cabin on the Fantasy was 77 a couple of years ago. We threatened to take our pillows and blanket and sleep in the atrium lobby. The public areas are always very cool and I love that. We like our room cold to sleep (68 degrees), and we couldn't sleep in the 77 degrees...and as the night went on, it got up to 82, then would drop back to 75. It went up and down like this all night.

But, it's not just Carnival, we've found this to be the norm on RCCL and Princess, too. We started noticing about five years ago that we couldn't get it cold enough for us to sleep comfortably. I think it's the cruise lines' way of cost cutting.

I can't find your Dream review? Can't wait to read it!

Exactly. I would venture a guess that the ship uses large chillers for space cooling. People leaving balcony doors open in the hot and humid Caribbean will increase the return air temperature and humidity, thus causing the chiller to lose efficiency. With a home AC system, it should be able to maintain a temperature drop of about 20 degrees colder than the return air temperature at 50% humidity or lower. Once you begin introducing warmer air and higher humidity, that temperature difference may drop considerably.

For those that think the AC will maintain temp with the balcony door open, try leaving your front door wide open on your house for 8 hours on humid weather and see just how well it works--not very.

So, if there are let's day 20 cabins in one zone, 10 of them are balcony cabins and a few people leave their balcony doors open, that will bring in warm, humid air, and affect ALL cabins on that zone. Most likely, the thermostat controls a volume air damper that simply opens and closes to adjust the VOLUME of airflow. Your thermostat at home does not control the temperature of the air coming from the vents. The temperature of air is determined by return air temperature, proper refrigerant charge, airflow, ductwork, etc. By people leaving their doors open, they are creating a higher return air temperature which in turn causes a higher supply air temp

I think you hit the nail on the head with this. It seems like a couple of cabins with balcony doors open can kill the a/c for everyone around them. So lets bring those thermometers, take those pictures and see if we can't get someone's attention!

I hope all goes well in the a/c department for you! I like the person on here who said they said they would take their pillow and blanket to the Atrium to sleep in the nice cold space there. Slumber party in the Atrium Lobby!

If you saw my pic a couple of pages back, you'll see that our cabin on the Fantasy was 77 a couple of years ago. We threatened to take our pillows and blanket and sleep in the atrium lobby. The public areas are always very cool and I love that. We like our room cold to sleep (68 degrees), and we couldn't sleep in the 77 degrees...and as the night went on, it got up to 82, then would drop back to 75. It went up and down like this all night.

But, it's not just Carnival, we've found this to be the norm on RCCL and Princess, too. We started noticing about five years ago that we couldn't get it cold enough for us to sleep comfortably. I think it's the cruise lines' way of cost cutting.

I personally would also find 76-78 degrees too warm as well. If that's what Carnivore is saying is an acceptable range, I think they need to rethink those specs

I'd rather have the option of sleeping under a blanket because it's cold in the room.......instead of sweating with no chance of any air....or sleep for that matter!

I definitely agree with you. If you are too cold you can put on more clothes and blankets and adjust your a/c. Being hot, with no cool air is horrible. It happened to us in May on the Liberty. There was no air coming out of the vent. Our room never got cool even with the vent cover off. They gave us a fan and said the temp was within Carnival's guidelines. The room temp was in the mid 70's according to them. It felt like 80's to us. Our hallway by our cabin was freezing. lol

My review is posted on Cruise Critic under ship reviews,Carnival , Dream. It is the most current review.

I just read it....oh my!! What's worse is that my two cabins are on the same deck directly across from where your cabin was. So depressing. ...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Are they across the hall from 8447 or on the opposite side of the ship? We stayed on deck 8 at the end of May in 8272 with a connecting cabin with our son and both of those cabins were fine.

Yes, we are port side in aft connecting cabins 8436-8440. Unfortunately, cabin 8272 is much farther forward. I have been reading that the problem is usually from midship back. Ugh.....!

Edited by ciship

Just got off the Dream 2 weeks ago. Room was very hot to me with balcony doors and curtain closed. Maintence was called and we told 76 degrees is considered the right room temperature. With 2 fans running we were able to sleep.

Well, if Carnival is going to take our air conditioning away from us so they can save money, they should start installing at least two large fans in every cabin.

.......and why in the world would someone have their balcony door open in the summer months? Good GRAVY!! People, if you want to experience the ocean, by all means step out on that balcony of yours......but SHUT the DOOR please!:eek:

I personally would also find 76-78 degrees too warm as well. If that's what Carnivore is saying is an acceptable range, I think they need to rethink those specs

Agree! We didn't sleep much until they brought us a fan. On RCCl's Serenade of the Seas, our cabin steward found us big box fan. It took up a lot of space but it was worth walking around it to be able to sleep at night.

Agree! We didn't sleep much until they brought us a fan. On RCCl's Serenade of the Seas, our cabin steward found us big box fan. It took up a lot of space but it was worth walking around it to be able to sleep at night.

It's all about saving money since they get are getting smaller per diems than most other lines on most sailings.

Bill