How Cool is Richard Fain

This article really explains how involved Richard Fain is and how he loves to push the envelope on technology and to push his employees to make things the best that they can be:http://cruise-week.com/cw082514final.pdf

I think Harri Kulovaara is quite the amazing man also, as he is the one that develops the designs for Royal's ships. I like his inflection in his voice when he talks, I wonder what nationality he is?

Keith

This article really explains how involved Richard Fain is and how he loves to push the envelope on technology and to push his employees to make things the best that they can be:http://cruise-week.com/cw082514final.pdf

I think Harri Kulovaara is quite the amazing man also, as he is the one that develops the designs for Royal's ships. I like his inflection in his voice when he talks, I wonder what nationality he is?

Keith

Harri's nationality is Finnish

Tried to log on= but couldn't

The link RCI sent me didn't work. I had to find it a different way. So much for technology when they can't email us all a working link.

I personally, wasn't impressed with the "reveal". It was a lot of stuff we knew about already. I prefer real bartenders. And I thought the guy interviewing Richard Fain was overly silly and not funny. I also realized Richard Fain doesn't have any idea of the dates the ship is beginning her voyages as he was unable to state a single one.

We already know enough about bumper cars, i-Fly, northstar and the flow rider. Why waste our time revealing what has already been revealed?

He said internet access will be faster and cheaper than ever. Let's hear a price. Now that it's 75 cents a minute on most ships, is 65 cents a minute considered cheaper? Will there be unlimited package prices? How many people can skype or facetime at once before bandwidth is compromised?

And then they let the first guy who asked questions about technology ask questions that were already answered. The first question asked on line was a stupid non-question.

I'd like to see completed deckplans actually. I felt the reveal was a waste of time. The only thing really interesting was that we can use a selfie for our seapass. And that was stated in the first 60 seconds.

Gina

Just watching the latest info release on The Quantum, how cool is RF his presentation style is relaxed and yet very knowledgeable, so much better than previous presentations done by others.:D

This for me was the best reveal because it was "real" for want of a better word...not all "false" like the Entertainment reveal.

This reveal did make me excited again about the actual ship.

I actually enjoyed the banter between Richard and David, not quite sure Richard did though :eek:

At least Richard remembered there is a Transatlantic with paying passengers...which is more than can be said for some others at RCCL.

LOL I knew I could count on you for the answer :p

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

LOL I am actually now counting down the days until I get on this ship, I have had real serious doubts about Quantum and although I am still a bit nervous about it..I am more excited than I have been recently.

Next question. When do we get the deck plans? :) That's really what I wish someone had asked. Maybe they'll give us the deck plans when we board the ship. ;)

Gina

Full deck plans LOL LOL you are kidding right Gina...hmm..let me think...oh yes 31st October when they have the first Pre-Inaugural that is probably when we will get them.

Oh now hold on, they haven't revealed the stores either have they...or told us the rest of the bars..maybe just maybe after they have announced them we will get deck plans...or maybe not. :rolleyes:

And then there are people like me who really do not care what the stores are, will there be some YES, will they sell stuff I cannot get anywhere else NO, well maybe with the exception of Q Logo stuff and they will sell that.

As for the bars, I know there will be many options, there is a Piano in 270, a Robot Served bar, Pool bars, an English Pub and various other bars or drink service in the many other venues like Music hall etc.

None of us booked for a specific bar or store, we booked early to be part of a brand that we have faith in. I am convinced that any offering will not be down market or shoddy, and that Royal will continue to provide us all with an amazing cruise experience. Sure some may not be attracted by the technology or the new offerings that have been revealed, and will continue to enjoy earlier ships or other cruise lines, I for one am happy to have booked several cruises on The Quantum and also The Anthem. Bring it On :eek:

Full deck plans LOL LOL you are kidding right Gina...hmm..let me think...oh yes 31st October when they have the first Pre-Inaugural that is probably when we will get them.

Oh now hold on, they haven't revealed the stores either have they...or told us the rest of the bars..maybe just maybe after they have announced them we will get deck plans...or maybe not. :rolleyes:

And then there are people like me who really do not care what the stores are, will there be some YES, will they sell stuff I cannot get anywhere else NO, well maybe with the exception of Q Logo stuff and they will sell that.

As for the bars, I know there will be many options, there is a Piano in 270, a Robot Served bar, Pool bars, an English Pub and various other bars or drink service in the many other venues like Music hall etc.

None of us booked for a specific bar or store, we booked early to be part of a brand that we have faith in. I am convinced that any offering will not be down market or shoddy, and that Royal will continue to provide us all with an amazing cruise experience. Sure some may not be attracted by the technology or the new offerings that have been revealed, and will continue to enjoy earlier ships or other cruise lines, I for one am happy to have booked several cruises on The Quantum and also The Anthem. Bring it On :eek:

Well said!

:)

Eric

I agree. Not sure how people can say the brand is going down, I see it going both ways. They have more kid and family friendly activities but at the same time these new pictures show a ship much more inline with the upscale Celebrity experience than traditional Royal. Which essentially means that combines they still meet in the middle where Royal has always been.

I do have to admit though, that while I do not care about the shops except for Quantum logo stuff like you, I am a bit concerned. When we sailed the Independence of the Seas her logo store was replaced by a weird holiday store. They still had some logo stuff but nowhere near the selection normally available and no ship models. Royal claims it is because that is not as popular with the British market and Quantum will not be going to England but who knows if it's popular with the China market. From what I've heard it's not so hopefully they don't take it away from us early.

I actually liked the reveal (more-so the pictures that are coming out as people visit the ship!), and Richard was cool as a cucumber - yeah I said it! He was typical executive, appearing knowledgeable and making everyone feel comfortable.

Onto the content - I am on the maiden voyage, and I too am getting frustrated with the overall lack of information. Even when they announce new information, they don't really announce new information.

We all knew about the faster internet (assuming you read the article about O3B months ago), but we still don't know the cost. That seems like quite a big omission in a "big" reveal dedicated to technology. Before you have a press conference, you should know all the details about a given thing. Look at Apple announcements (which, if you are worth anything in PR, you should be looking up to), they ALWAYS have details. You know the cost, the technology, and release date.

Richard said this ship would make Millennials happy - news flash, we care about specifics, and we want them now - if you can't give us details now, just keep your mouth shut until you can. Going general on a big release and not providing details on cost and timing was stupid.

For an event where you have a global audience tuning in to a livestream, you need to make it worth people's time. I shouldn't be able to go to your website five minutes after and learn more than I learned by tuning in - I shouldn't have more questions than I did before - I shouldn't feel like I wasted my time. But somehow, I can, I did, and I do.

Richard did a good job, but the PR people behind him didn't. Poor decisions throughout. Pick up the slack Royal Caribbean - those Millennials you are eager to please won't wait around forever.

Just watching the latest info release on The Quantum, how cool is RF his presentation style is relaxed and yet very knowledgeable, so much better than previous presentations done by others.:D

I have to totally agree with you, and he appears very likable. I was just discussing the reveal with a friend of mine today, remarking that I've always liked RF, and admired the innovative work he's done over his decades with Royal Caribbean. To me, the Two70 lounge is reminiscent of his diligence that went into the Voyager's Studio B ice rink to make that happen. He seems to take an intense interest in everything RCI, in a relaxed, casual manner: http://www.cruiselawnews.com/uploads/image/FAIN-3-REUTERS-JOESKIPPER.jpg. :D:cool:

I wonder how much of the reason that Royal is dripping information on the Quantum is because of NCL, and they are trying to become more trendy on their new ships and Royal not wanting to give up too much of their new ideas too early to where NCL could incorporate them on their new ships coming out soon? What do you think?

Keith

Some of the current Senior Executives now with NCL are past Royal Executives, and already have some knowledge of original designs of The Q, however they are equally capable of developing their own ideas for future NCL ships. The cruise industry is blessed with many capable people, and whilst I accept that some companies do borrow ideas, I doubt that is the reason for holding back any info. Royal are without doubt creators of many good ideas, but have also followed other companies at times :eek:

I actually liked the reveal (more-so the pictures that are coming out as people visit the ship!), and Richard was cool as a cucumber - yeah I said it! He was typical executive, appearing knowledgeable and making everyone feel comfortable.

Onto the content - I am on the maiden voyage, and I too am getting frustrated with the overall lack of information. Even when they announce new information, they don't really announce new information.

We all knew about the faster internet (assuming you read the article about O3B months ago), but we still don't know the cost. That seems like quite a big omission in a "big" reveal dedicated to technology. Before you have a press conference, you should know all the details about a given thing. Look at Apple announcements (which, if you are worth anything in PR, you should be looking up to), they ALWAYS have details. You know the cost, the technology, and release date.

Richard said this ship would make Millennials happy - news flash, we care about specifics, and we want them now - if you can't give us details now, just keep your mouth shut until you can. Going general on a big release and not providing details on cost and timing was stupid.

For an event where you have a global audience tuning in to a livestream, you need to make it worth people's time. I shouldn't be able to go to your website five minutes after and learn more than I learned by tuning in - I shouldn't have more questions than I did before - I shouldn't feel like I wasted my time. But somehow, I can, I did, and I do.

Richard did a good job, but the PR people behind him didn't. Poor decisions throughout. Pick up the slack Royal Caribbean - those Millennials you are eager to please won't wait around forever.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner here!

Apple has raised the bar on how to not only entice people but deliver an experience second to none.

It's great to know to know about the innovative features but what is the cost?

Please don't give us half a story. Personally, I am the type that wants a disconnect from the every day, Ie: Facebook, news, Internet. However, my 2 adult sons are VERY INTERESTED.

Let your passengers know upfront so they can budget accordingly or opt out.

I was not able to watch the reveal live, but have watched it since and I loved the way the reveal was done. It was engaging, fun and full of information and pictures.

I would like to have more information, but I am happy to get more info in the weeks to come or even when I get on board.

We are counting the days until we sail and will book the Anthem as soon as her 2016 dates for spring and summer are available.

Not a reveal at all just a vessel update, like myself I imagine most learnt nothing of any significance & still seek basic vessel information.

This style of RCI media update with its spectacular lack of media interest clearly defines the difference in marketing techniques demanded by the US market & the rest of the world, its just boring trivia. Such insignificant news barely justifies a minor press release, quite why so many seemingly anticipate & hold onto every word is a complete mystery.

Most have no interest in absurd artwork displays & the connectivity options they don't understand, Most cruise to escape, not to be surrounded by media, communication & connectivity. ask yourself who it genuinely interested in your day by day news, it's about the journey relaying the experience comes later.

To conclude quite what an angular magenta bear is doing on the upper deck & how long will it survive, its seemingly occupying precious deck space which makes it's placement ridiculous & confusing. I imagine the skipper is equally confused & embarrassed, hopefully he will promptly cut it free & ditch it over the side.

Time RCI became more tuned into what the worlds cruising community expects from its vessels. Stop being so called creative & become more attentive.

Not a reveal at all just a vessel update, like myself I imagine most learnt nothing of any significance & still seek basic vessel information.

This style of RCI media update with its spectacular lack of media interest clearly defines the difference in marketing techniques demanded by the US market & the rest of the world, its just boring trivia. Such insignificant news barely justifies a minor press release, quite why so many seemingly anticipate & hold onto every word is a complete mystery.

Most have no interest in absurd artwork displays & the connectivity options they don't understand, Most cruise to escape, not to be surrounded by media, communication & connectivity. ask yourself who it genuinely interested in your day by day news, it's about the journey relaying the experience comes later.

To conclude quite what an angular magenta bear is doing on the upper deck & how long will it survive, its seemingly occupying precious deck space which makes it's placement ridiculous & confusing. I imagine the skipper is equally confused & embarrassed, hopefully he will promptly cut it free & ditch it over the side.

Time RCI became more tuned into what the worlds cruising community expects from its vessels. Stop being so called creative & become more attentive.

You sound like a real upbeat individual.