Question re servers on the equinox.we

Us Two

We will be on the oct 2nd sailing of the equinox in the Med. My question is, does anyone have experience with. a good server in select dining . Would like to be able to sit in a nice area , being served by a friendly person with sense of humour.

Does anyone have any suggestions who to ask for? Thanks for your help. Sailing with some newbies and Iwant their dining experience to be a good one.

Have never had a "bad" server. Have had mostly excellent servers. Some have a better sense of humor than others. Some speak better English than others. Gee, almost like going to a restaurant on shore.

Far as I could tell, servers are assigned areas almost at random, so the server at table 10 this trip may be somewhere else next trip. Even the waiter and assistant don't always work together.

We will be on the oct 2nd sailing of the equinox in the Med. My question is, does anyone have experience with. a good server in select dining . Would like to be able to sit in a nice area , being served by a friendly person with sense of humour.

Does anyone have any suggestions who to ask for? Thanks for your help. Sailing with some newbies and Iwant their dining experience to be a good one.

Impossible to recommend since we have no idea whose on the ship. There are lots of staff changes in the month prior to a TA. Even the Waiters don't know for certain where they will be. They can request a ship and may or may not get it. However, several Maître 'Ds have told me that they try to get their best waiters in Select since the work is more demanding. They may have three turnarounds rather than 2. They also have the potential to earn more in tips than waiters in Traditional. You really have a better chance of getting a top rated waiter in Select. I'd just go in the first night and try to get a table location you like. If you like the servers just request the table for the remainder of the cruise. Hint: Waiters with the highest ratings are given the first choice of table location. The tables closest to the Galley are the top choice since waiters do less walking and they get fewer "cold food" complaints.

Edited by Orator

• 2 weeks later...

We have had both good and not so good waiters on all the ships. We were on Equinox in February and May, and had good servers the whole time. We like sitting right by the rail and people watching.

Of the 5 cruises on S - class ships in the last 3 years, all in Select dining, I believe we only had one waiter we did not care for. If you have a good one the first night, just ask to keep him/her. If you don't like who you have the first night, ask for someone else the second night.

My experience has been that if you are pleasant and friendly plus not ridiculously demanding the staff are exceptional and friendly back.

100% Agree

Is true when dealing with everyone in my experience (Celebrity or otherwise)

ORATOR is right there is no way to be able to tell ahead of time who will be aboard (Crew Contracts all renew at various times etc)

As well, often crew is moved around the ship on as needed basis... This is especially so for Wait Staff who work 12 or more hours a day... They go where they are told to go.

Also, Select doesn't guarantee you are going to sit in the same area of the MDR every night... As it operates more like a Restaurant... You will sit at whatever table as they become available

You can certainly ask on future nights if you had a good Server... But no guarantees that a table will be available when you arrive, or that the Server will be there / in the same section etc

Hope that helps (somewhat)

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

We were served by Germaine,in select last year,great sense of humour,always telling jokes,but most of all he will remember you and your likes and dislikes.and do everything he can to make your dining experience outstanding.I will be looking for him on our next cruise

In June next year.

Hope you have a great time.