The sanctuary

MrsForsyth

Hi,

I will be cruising on Sea Princess next month and was wondering if anyone can tell me how much it costs to use the sanctuary and if it is worth it? Also, are there any hidden costs in using the sanctuary?

Sent from my iPhone

Hi,

I will be cruising on Sea Princess next month and was wondering if anyone can tell me how much it costs to use the sanctuary and if it is worth it? Also, are there any hidden costs in using the sanctuary?

Sent from my iPhone

I recently saw it on Emerald.I too would like to know if it's worth it and what is there.

I recently saw it on Emerald.I too would like to know if it's worth it and what is there.

It's a separate area at the bow of the ship with reserved seating. The lounges are very soft & comfortable with some in the shade & some in the sun. You can arrive at any time & you selected seat will be waiting for you without having to worry if someone else will steal it while your gone.

It is nice but not for a additional charge of $20 per half day, but that's just me.

It's good I always buy it (except ever again as I'm not going princess again), however I'm on regal now and I'd say there are no more than 10 people in here and I'm here most of the day. So that's 10 beds occupied out of a possible 40-50

This itinerary is port intensive though so a lot goes on shore excursions, for this type of cruise if princess lowered the cost they'd bring in more money. However it should stay the same on Caribbean cruise where it's almost nearly full every time of not full.

It's good I always buy it (except ever again as I'm not going princess again), however I'm on regal now and I'd say there are no more than 10 people in here and I'm here most of the day. So that's 10 beds occupied out of a possible 40-50

Why not?

I'm new to Princess as well and trying to figure out what exactly the Sanctuary is and what it provides other than what appears to be a "guaranteed" lounger when you want it. (Albeit, one with a nicer cushion/pad on the lounger)

I'm sailing on the Grand next April - Pacific Coastal and wonder if it will be warm enough to even want to be out in this sanctuary area. It appears to be mostly an outdoor area near a pool that I think anyone can use, with a fence/partition to reduce traffic through that area, but it's still a public area. Is that right?

Is there anything else that you would benefit from reserving in this area? Thanks for the help! :)

On the Grand you only enter the sanctuary by going up stairs and through a gate. It is not a public area, only paying sanctuary guests are allowed in. The pool below it is for anyone, used to be adults only but recent posts I have read seem to be saying children are allowed in. The chair you book will be the same for the cruises you cant chop and change....or I don't think you can!

On the Grand you only enter the sanctuary by going up stairs and through a gate. It is not a public area, only paying sanctuary guests are allowed in. The pool below it is for anyone, used to be adults only but recent posts I have read seem to be saying children are allowed in. The chair you book will be the same for the cruises you cant chop and change....or I don't think you can!

I see! That helps me to visualize a bit better. I finally found the top deck plan that shows the area - it really is out in the open on the highest deck. Well - it's certainly an option I guess...

I finally found the top deck plan that shows the area - it really is out in the open on the highest deck.

We used the Sanctuary on CB (before the price doubled) and booked for the entire week. Was a great experience but cost prohibitive now.

The space appears to be open but (on CB at least) there are fabric panels for shade and glass panels along the front of the area to block most of the wind. They provide blankets if it is cold and cover the chairs with nice towels. When we used the Sanctuary they also brought afternoon tea around in the pm. Hours are 8 to 5 I believe.

The space appears to be open but (on CB at least) there are fabric panels for shade and glass panels along the front of the area to block most of the wind. They provide blankets if it is cold and cover the chairs with nice towels. When we used the Sanctuary they also brought afternoon tea around in the pm. Hours are 8 to 5 I believe.

I wondered about that. The deck plans don't show these features. I wonder if the Grand has the glass panels or not? You would almost have to have something at the stern of the ship otherwise you woud be fighting the wind (at least on sea days anyway).

Too expensive now - shame as we really liked our quiet time in the Sanctuary on various cruises but I am not willing to pay $40 a day in addition to the ever-increasing cruise fares. I will just make sure we book balconies, which we do anyway 😄

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just curious, if one has a vista suite on the Coral, would you need to go to the Sanctuary or would the veranda in the suite work just as well. Thanks, Bob from TX

You are already paying top cabin price. I would use my own private balcony and not pay for sanctuary.

We typically book obstructed view or even inside cabins, and at least until now the Sanctuary has been cheaper than difference to the lowest balcony cabins.

I've seen the Sanctuary booked full (summer Med cruise) and been one of only six full cruise bookers (Christmas Hawai'i) cruise. I'm puzzled by the price increase - it probably will chase some like me into more expensive cabins - but who's going to replace us in the Sanctuary?

We do enjoy the bit of extra service up there. Blankets, nice lounges, very attentive (at times too attentive) staff. We like afternoon tea and do make at least some use of the food delivery albeit at a small ($3.00) charge.

As to Grand, I can confirm it has the wind deflectors all around and the fabric cover overhead. A very nice area. Be aware that the wind deflectors won't protect from very high wind or rain which find their way through. Your up high on the ship and if the wind is on the bow wind speed can be 30 or 40 mph (including ships motion). I've seen the Sanctuary closed once for high winds - the day's use was refunded.

I've seen the Sanctuary booked full (summer Med cruise) and been one of only six full cruise bookers (Christmas Hawai'i) cruise. I'm puzzled by the price increase - it probably will chase some like me into more expensive cabins - but who's going to replace us in the Sanctuary?

I would guess that there is enough overall demand across the fleet to sustain the higher fees.

If the demand is not there, the prices would drop.

Since the inception of the Sanctuary, I have never seen it full. Granted, I haven't been on any Caribbean cruises, but I've been to Mexico more than once, a TA in the late summer, through the Panama canal, and more than one trip to Alaska during nice weather. May it's just me. I know that people who book it really enjoy it, and for some people it makes financial sense if that is their access to an open deck experience. The huge price increase surprised me, though. What are they doing? Trying to control the crowds I have never seen? (For my Sanctuary-loving friends, I beg forgiveness for my complete inability to see the appeal.):)

Yep the grand is also covered at the bow and sides . The loungers in the sun are nearest the entrance.

Thanks! and yes meant to say "bow" of the ship not "stern" as I wrote in my previous post (excuse the brain cramp - I meant to type bow! :D)