Princess getting more like Carnival

jkocpa

We're veteran cruisers (Elite, Diamond on RCI) and our last Princess sailing aboard the Caribbean out of Houston was pleasant, if not outstanding. We heard several passenger complaints, largely over maintenance (or lack thereof) issues ... toilets not functioning for days, wet hallways (we observed a few of those high-speed floor fans), as well as an overall decline in the experience ... we noticed it, too. It's one of those "can't put my finger on it, but things have changed" feelings. It just wasn't the same Princess cruise as we'd come to know and love.

Our three previous Alaska adventures were all on Princess ... Star and Golden (twice). When it came time to book our fourth, something in the back of my mind prompted me to read the CC reviews, which I rarely do (other than for amusement ... how can two people on the same voyage have such diametrically opposed opinions?). I looked at comments about the Grand, Star and Crown, and surprisingly discovered a connecting thread amongst those who had previously cruised with Princess ... things are on the decline.

I fully understand that cutbacks are a necessary evil in the industry ... it's been discussed ad nauseum here and elsewhere. But when the actual level of service is affected, it's more significant to me than removing those puny crab legs from the menu. We ended up booking with RCI ... reviews more consistently good.

We'll likely continue to cruise with Princess, but only out of Houston (less than an hour from our home) because of the convenience. As for the more exotic itineraries (we've cruised through Europe, Asia, the Middle East and South America), we'll be looking elsewhere. Is Princess becoming more Carnivalized? Albeit more slowly, judging from the diminishing quality of the product, it's getting there.

Edited by jewopaho

Yes....Princess does go for the classy activities such as the paper airplane contest, egg drop contest, horse races, etc......:)

The difference is these and some Carnival activities (such as hairy chest) is that Princess' silly contests are not bawdy. You can take child to the egg drop challenge, but some might thing twice about subjecting a child to the nonsense on a Carnival cruise "sexy" contest.

The difference is these and some Carnival activities (such as hairy chest) is that Princess' silly contests are not bawdy. You can take child to the egg drop challenge, but some might thing twice about subjecting a child to the nonsense on a Carnival cruise "sexy" contest.

I guess a Princess sexy legs contest is considered more family friendly? :confused:

I don't think Princess is like Carnival, but some of the cut backs are influenced by Carnival management and I believe it makes Princess more like Carnival. On my last cruise, I noticed that there are no longer omelet stations where omelets are made in pans. They're now more flat and made on griddles. They no longer put out smoke salmon platters for breakfast either. You now have to ask for it. Royal Class ships have no central staircases as a means to save money. There are also cuts to live entertainment. I noticed less live entertainment in Explorers on our last cruise on a Grand Class and more recorded music on our Royal Princess cruise.

It's still a Princess product, just one a bit more influenced by Carnival's management team. We will still cruise on Princess, but are less likely to book with Princess than before. I'd like to think I'll use our two remaining Future Cruise Credits. If we don't, to some extent, the "Carnival cuts" will have some impact on that decision.

...It's still a Princess product, just one a bit more influenced by Carnival's management team. We will still cruise on Princess, but are less likely to book with Princess than before. I'd like to think I'll use our two remaining Future Cruise Credits. If we don't, to some extent, the "Carnival cuts" will have some impact on that decision.

The problems for us is that other lines in the Princess price range, such as HAL and Celebrity to name two, have made cuts also. If we move up to the luxury lines, then we cruise far less often. And we don't want to give up cruising altogether.

Edited by Ryndam2002

I guess a Princess sexy legs contest is considered more family friendly? :confused:

There was a sexy legs contest on my 4/2014 transatlantic on the Royal. These were more "mature" men, mind you, and everyone had a good time. Quite frankly, it was funny. No nudity, no improper conduct. Just a little levity during a sea day. It was family-friendly and I didn't feel the need to cover my child's eyes. Even if it had been a hairy chest contest, that would have been funny. To still have hair, for some of these folks, is a real accomplishment! :D

Head hair and body hair are different, and I do not want to see torso hair on some the torsos lying around the pool. :p

Considering many of the torsos I see lying around the pool, a covering of just about anything would be an improvement.

Hi,

I recently cruised aboard the Caribbean Princess (Aug. 28 to Sep. 1, 2014) and noted that a hairy chest contest was listed in the Princess Patter for the final sea day. I was not present at the pool at the time and have no idea if it was popular. However, I enjoyed the cruise and was pleased with the food, service and entertainment. I have done four Princess cruises in the past 12 months and still think it is a nice line.

Chuck