Chocolate Buffet

finnkle

Very recently the Chocoholic Buffet became a thing of the past, at least on most ships. They have replaced it with a night where there are several chocolate creations available in all of the restaurants for the evening meal.

Truthfully, while the chocoholic buffet was a sight to see, with many fantastic creations, the flavors were lacking in most of the "pretty" items. Yes, there were some great things, like chocolate covered strawberries, chocolate mousse, truffles, etc. But there was SO MUCH waste, as people would leave plates full of partially eaten chocolate stuff all over the ship.

I think this is a good alternative, but I do feel sorry for those who have heard about the chocoholic buffet and then never get to see or experience it.

It *could* still be on the ships that haven't gone to the new menus yet, but all of the info and reviews I have read lately have made it clear that there has been no chocoholic buffet.

Also, they often had them in the evening or even at midnight, and that's not a good time to have a sugar high!

We boarded the Jade on May 31 and the chocolate buffet was still there, later in the cruise. It was at 10 PM. So sad if it is gone. I enjoyed looking at all the chocolate sculpture!

Yes, friends of ours were on the 5/31 sailing of another NCL ship and they had the chocolate buffet. But then other friends of ours were on the same ship in early July and no chocolate buffet. And then I started reading more and more reviews where there was no chocolate buffet, and these are ships that have had the new menus.

I have mixed feelings about it being gone, but I do agree it is probably best and will save a lot of waste and clean up for the staff!

I just noticed that the OP is due to sail in February next year. In that case, it's likely they will be on the new menus then so the chocolate dessert menu linked above will be there.

I believe that this means no more chocolate buffet, as is the case on most ships now.

Edited by KeithJenner

Just got off the Dawn and they don't do the chocolate buffet anymore. They have chocolate night instead where all the deserts in all the dining rooms (including the buffet) are chocolate. It was on Wednesday night on our cruise.

Yes, that's how it is now on all the ships except for three (I believe). The Jade (which the OP asked about) is one that still has the old menus.

I'd have to agree and say its a good thing. Unfortunately most of the desserts just weren't very good, they were incredibly dry. That being said it was quite a visual display and will miss it. I'll never forget the first one I went to in Windows on the Spirit. It was an incredible site.

I was recently on the Jewel, which was the first for us cruising without the chocolate buffet. I really didn't miss it.

I'm not picky when it comes to desserts, but I can say that although the display was really pretty, the desserts really were not very good at all. I was so surprised the first time I had the chocolate buffet on ncl and it was so bad. I did try quite a few different things, and it just was not good. I sure couldn't see how ncl could go so wrong with it!

That, I think, is the reason so much of it was left on people's plates all over.

I took a lot of pictures at the chocolate buffets but found very little that tasted good. And I'm a real chocolate lover.

These new desserts sound really good and hopefully, since they are only focusing on a few, they will be tastier. One thing I wish that they would offer is a plate with small bites of several of them.

These new desserts sound really good and hopefully, since they are only focusing on a few, they will be tastier. One thing I wish that they would offer is a plate with small bites of several of them.

Oh, yes. Sounds perfect! A sampler of small bites of several of them. I would love that.

:eek:

Oh, yes. Sounds perfect! A sampler of small bites of several of them. I would love that.

I would love that too but since they are offered in the MDR's couldn't you just select a couple and share... then choose a couple more... OK, just thinking about that, I just lost my girlish figure... :p :p

I have a question regarding the availability of these lovely looking desserts... are they only available in the MDR's or can you get them in the specialty restaurants as well? I don't think when they were discussing it with frank weber... the speciality restaurants were not mentioned.

If they're not available in the specialty's I guess we'll just have to visit an MDR later in the evening. :D

Here is the dessert menu from "Chocolate Night" on the Dawn last week.

15075581785_12eb1659cb_c.jpg

Drooooooooling!

Thanks for this! I'm going on the Dawn in December and I'm super excited!

My first cruise (when I was a munchkin) was on NCL, I'm not sure the ship, but I remember the chocolate buffet as being a highlight for little me.