We won't stray again!

Kathy & George

We just got back from a HAL cruise, and we will be happy to return to Celebrity.

Our cruise was nice, but was missing a lot of the little things that we have come to love on Celebrity. The dining and cabin staff had many communication difficulties and lacked the sense of "class" in executing even the simple requests. Celebrity's Specialty Restaurants have HAL beat by Miles!!! Don't take me wrong...any cruise is a good cruise, but we wished that Celebrity had offered at least one Carribbean itinneary in the summer other than Bermuda.

We will be happy to sail this Feb. on the Millie with our friends.

welcome back - our TA tried to get us to stray to HAL some time ago. From what I am hearing from you and others for once in my life I am glad I am married to a creature of habit who finds straying (well most types of straying :D ) unattractive

Hi Lois, you were right! The staff seamed to only know one way to do things, no room for accomodations of any kind. I even heard one woman order her morning toast "dry".(no butter)..it took three asst.'s to figure out what she had requested. It's nice to be home again, thanks.

Felicia, it was the Zuiderdam, Eastern Carribbean, Aug.6th sailing.

Uktog, straying seams to be unfavorable all the way around:D. Look, but don't touch works well.

Felicia, it was the Zuiderdam, Eastern Carribbean, Aug.6th sailing.

Thanks - I wonder if it's the ship class of HAL that makes the difference. I can't recall what the name of the Z'dam ship is (Vista class?) but I get the impression the class the Z'dam is in is trying to attract a younger crowd. I really liked the Amsterdam, and if I ever sail on HAL again, it will be on her, her sister the Rotterdam, or whatever other ships are in that class.

However, it looks like my next cruise will be with Celebrity. I just loved the Century!

Felicia

Most cruisers find a cruiseline which fits them well and one that they feel "at home" on. For most on this board, that "at home feeling" is with Celebrity. For me that cruiseline is Princess. However, I'm going on The Constellation next September because the itinerary and the price was great. We went on The Millennium for its very first sailing and had a much less than perfect cruise but I am willing to back and give Celebrity another chance. I don't expect my love affair with Princess to change but its great to try other things. Everyone should have an open mind and cruise other lines from time to time as variety is the spice of life.

Remember there are die-hards on every cruiseline even on Holland America. :)

I also agree with you. Took a HAL cruise two years ago because of the convenience of leaving from Norfolk. That seemed to be the only good thing! Celebrity is, to me, much more professional, the ships are cleaner, (even the older Horizon which I was on three months ago) and everything from ship decor to appearance of crew to food preparation and presentation were far superior. I think I will stay with Celebrity.

Kathy & George, I told you Holland was good but not quite the same as Celebrity. We are traveling also on the Zuiderdam this Oct with my parents. The one thing I do love about Holland is their S Suite. We travel in these accommodations and find the room a definite step above the CC Class we travel in on Celebrity. Beds on Holland are the best but everything else on Celebrity is a step or two above. We are not willing to pay the prices for a suite on Celebrity so can't compare the Suite experience. We have two Celebrity cruises scheduled for the future. One of ours is also in Feb 2006 on Millennium. Thinking of changing our week but will still probably stay in Feb. It's great to have choices and to find the right cruise for each of us. To me, Celebrity is still number 1. Very classy for the money.

We have 6 of our 16 cruises on Celebrity, and loved them all. HAL is nice, good ships if you are one of the smaller ones, and very decent food but the dining service does not match Celebrity, and the sea day activities are way behind X.

That being said, we really enjoyed our Oceania Insignia cruise from Manaus to Barbados. Elegant ship, only 675 passengers, great food, fine service, good sea day activities. Only their shore bookings and home office response comes up short, and we book our own shore stuff even on Celebrity much of the time. Our next will be our first on Crystal, but we have booked on Oceania's Nautica and then back to Celebrity on Constellation after that.

We love Celebrity and are booked on our next cruise on the Millennium in October, but we enjoyed our first Hal cruise on the Zuiderdam last winter and would not hesitate to sail with Hal again. I agree that the service and dining room experience are better on Celebrity, but enjoyed the Hal buffet and especially liked the hot hors d'oeuvres served in the lounges before dinner. The piano bar on the Zuiderdam is also great. We'd sail on either line any time.

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl, I was also on Zuiderdam. I do agree with you about the Piano Bar. It was alot of fun and the entertainment on the ship was excellent too.

But in my opinion the service was totally lacking. I would have given up the better entertainment in exchange for better service. But I guess that is why there are so many choices!

Entertainment was good on board, but the Midnight bites on Celebrity were as welcomed as the snacks served on the Zui. We found the HAL Buffet good the first day, but repeated everyday thereafter. No daily variety within each station. The pizza and burgers on the lido paled to the Celebrity offerings.

Sandy, Make it Feb.19th and sail with us again! We'll have a great time!

Lois consider this date too..the more the merrier!

Most cruisers find a cruiseline which fits them well and one that they feel "at home" on.

Remember there are die-hards on every cruiseline even on Holland America. :)

My first cruise was with HAL, so it will always hold a special place in my heart. My 2nd was with Princess and my 3rd was with Celebrity. As you can see, I have no loyalties! <g> All 3 lines were very special & unique. I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite, but here's a hint: If all 3 offered exactly the same itinerary at the same price, I'd pick Celebrity!

Felicia

That being said, we really enjoyed our Oceania Insignia cruise from Manaus to Barbados.

Wow, I could not get them to return my phone calls or emails in order to get a quote. Too bad for them, hu?

Felicia

Don't take me wrong...any cruise is a good cruise, but we wished that Celebrity had offered at least one Carribbean itinneary in the summer other than Bermuda.

Hi Kathy & George !

Glad to hear you had a nice time on your Cruise on Zuiderdam. I do agree with you, about hoping Celebrity returns a ship to the Caribbean, in the Summer months. I hope it happens in the near future.

As Century appears to be headed back to Europe again next Summer, unless something changes.... it will probably be a while before that happens. We will just have to wait and see.

We went on the Zaandam in May of 2004. We had an S suite and our cruise was not great by any means. The first night at dinner, the waiter/asst waiter brought my husband the wrong thing for every course. We never went back to the dining room. We ordered room service on lobster night. We ordered it at 3PM to be delivered at 7. At 8, still no lobster so we called down. Somehow our order got lost. They sent up everything but the lobster. We were told that it would be up in fifteen minutes or so. After an hour, we decided to leave our suite, when voila, a knock on the door and two lobster tails arrived. Our whole trip was nothing I would like to repeat. I'm sure we should have complained, but that's not like us to do so. Instead, it will be unlikely that we will go on another HAL ship. Celebrity has better service, better everything, so we usually do them. I do have to say though, our NCL trip to Alaska was great. My husband likes the idea of not having to dress up and I like going to dinner whenever I want. I just wish Celebrity had some of that. But, overall, Celebrity meets our needs and my husband does dress up.

Fortunately, there are many lines to serve many people. Thanks goodness for being able to choose.

Katie

It is wonderful there are so many lines to choose from as we each have our favorites for various reasons. I have cruised all but one mass marketed line and find great things about each and things I do not like about each. It is good to try different things in life and then make your decision. George and Kathy I am glad you have found your nitch. Happy Celebrity cruising for you from now on out. NMNita

Wow, I could not get them to return my phone calls or emails in order to get a quote. Too bad for them, hu?

Felicia

Yes, this is a problem with Oceania - the home office. If you go through your TA, and tell him/her to be patient, you will get results. It may be aggravating, but if you check the boards you will find that most people enjoy Oceania cruises despite the home office and poor land tour arrangements.

Archived