Allure Air Condition

Ok seriously worried now. We are 5 in a Family Oceanview with Balcony (11th deck) on Allure leaving on Sunday 9/7. I am warm due to hyperthyroid condition (not 24/7 but have serious sweats at night and early AM). If it becomes a problem will they allow/provide a fan? I will report back the AC situation upon returning.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our "cold" water in our part of Florida is not cold either. Water distribution pipes run a couple of feet below the ground are not going to stay cold. So I understand that the ship will not have cold water unless they run it through a heat exchanger to cool it. It either comes from RO, storage tanks or flash evaporators that do not make water cold.

We've been travelling to Florida and the Caribbean for 25 years, and one thing I figured out a long time ago was not to expect "cold" water from the tap:D

CHENGKP75, I've not noticed if there is a return air grille in our cabins. I assume air is removed from the cabin through the toilet room exhaust and possibly under the cabin door into the corridor? On some recent cruises, I've heard the air flow sound change if the balcony door is open. Upon closing the door, and after a short delay, I hear the air picking up again as the VAV box opens.Exhaust air is through the "sanitary" exhaust fan which takes air from the bathroom. While there will be some air movement under the door, this is not really a design feature. The grille in the cabin is likely a two part duct, with both a supply and an intake half, as part of the cabin recirculation system, as described below. Many ships have a switch on the balcony door that shuts down the supply air to the cabin while the door is open.

On the NCL EPIC, and Celebrity Silhouette, I know the air shut down to minimum when we left the cabin because the cabin would warm up in our absence. Remember I have a digital thermometer on the desk. I could hear the VAV box open and air flow increase after being in the room for a minute or so.I believe, on the Epic (can't speak for Celebrity), that the A/C is controlled by the "master switch" at the door where you are to put the key card when you enter the room.

In the US it is now against Code to return air through a corridor, and I've not see big return air grilles in corridors, so I suspect there might be a return air duct system? Hard to believe they would use single pass air since that is an energy hog.

You are correct that it is not a once through system. They are the basic 20% fresh supply air, 80% recirculation, and 20% exhaust. The supply air is brought to large air handling rooms (generally those large blank spots you see on the centerline of many passenger cabin deck plans) where it is cooled and ducted to the cabins and public spaces. Public spaces will have recirculation fans that take warm air from the space, lead it to the air handler rooms where it is re-cooled and returned to the space. Cabins, these days, tend to have a small fan either under the vanity or in the toilet mechanical space that takes the cabin air, passes it through a cooler (chilled water) and returns it to the cabin. Your cabin thermostat controls this recirculation cooler.

They also use "enthalpy wheels" that take the humidity out of the fresh air and dumps it into the exhaust air, to save energy using the hotter exhaust air to pull out moisture.

Passageways tend to be positively pressurized (supply air, but no return air as you've stated), which is why you will hear the air "screaming" under cabin doors if lots of folks have their balcony doors open in a block. Passageway exhaust is generally through public spaces or crew areas (pantries, etc).

Y Cabins, these days, tend to have a small fan either under the vanity or in the toilet mechanical space that takes the cabin air, passes it through a cooler (chilled water) and returns it to the cabin. Your cabin thermostat controls this recirculation cooler.

They also use "enthalpy wheels" that take the humidity out of the fresh air and dumps it into the exhaust air, to save energy using the hotter exhaust air to pull out moisture.

That sounds like what I would call an active chilled beam system or old fashioned unit ventilator. It is easier and cheaper to run chilled water pipes to cabins than huge air ducts. So smaller size air ducts provide the make-up ventilation air which I would call "neutral" air that has been dehumidified but not very cooled. So if the room cooling system is backed down, neutral air will determine the room temperature, which isn't very cold. Sounds like the toilet exhaust is balanced to match the make-up air and/or air pulled under the cabin door from the corridor.

I would expect such a system to be stable but have a long time constant to change the cabin temperature once the occupancy sensor or main power switch indicates occupancy or demand.

If this is what newer ships have, then it seems to me what the cabin next door does has no impact on my cabin since I have my own self-contained system. I would also expect the ganged toilet exhaust system to have an ERV.

On the EPIC we never had to insert our room key to operate the room systems.

Edited by cruzincurt

That sounds like what I would call an active chilled beam system or old fashioned unit ventilator. It is easier and cheaper to run chilled water pipes to cabins than huge air ducts. So smaller size air ducts provide the make-up ventilation air which I would call "neutral" air that has been dehumidified but not very cooled. So if the room cooling system is backed down, neutral air will determine the room temperature, which isn't very cold. Sounds like the toilet exhaust is balanced to match the make-up air and/or air pulled under the cabin door from the corridor.

I would expect such a system to be stable but have a long time constant to change the cabin temperature once the occupancy sensor or main power switch indicates occupancy or demand.

If this is what newer ships have, then it seems to me what the cabin next door does has no impact on my cabin since I have my own self-contained system. I would also expect the ganged toilet exhaust system to have an ERV.

On the EPIC we never had to insert our room key to operate the room systems.

The chilled water loops for the supply air handlers and cabin chillers are the same, so same temperature. Supply air is kept around 58*. What will happen is that by dropping the pressure in the passageway because of open balcony doors, the supply air will tend to go to the passageways and not to the cabins. You will also notice air passing out under your door faster because of the drop in pressure in the passageway.

Yes, the toilet exhaust has an ERV (the enthalpy wheel I mentioned).

Just off the Allure yesterday. We were in a Boardwalk balcony cabin. Our cabin was always nice and cold. I actually never checked the thermostat to see the temperature setting because our cabin temperature was fine. We were in the next to the last cabin closest to the Aqua Theater on deck 11, starboard side.

On our last Allure cruise, my brother and sil had a Central Park balcony cabin. They did have to call maintenance. Their cabin was extremely hot. Once adjusted, they were fine.