PVP or TA

English-Greg

After reading other posts I am now thinking it may be better to go with a PVP? I have always gone with a travel agent as I still pay the same price but I get someone in my corner if there is an issue! Has anyone got any recommendations on which way is best? I am starting to think I will not get up sold as Carnival cannot contact me without going through my TA. Not so sure that is such a great thing?

My vote is for a PVP (provided you get a good one). Last year I cruised with a group that used a TA. I wanted to make changes with cabins (trying to keep my family close together) and I called Carnival directly. Unfortunately, I was told that I had to go through my TA. I talked to the TA (who was less than helpful) who said that it wasn't possible. When I checked with Carnival, they confirmed that cabins were available, but the switches needed to be requested by the TA.

I'm using a PVP for my next cruise and so far am satisfied.

After reading other posts I am now thinking it may be better to go with a PVP? I have always gone with a travel agent as I still pay the same price but I get someone in my corner if there is an issue! Has anyone got any recommendations on which way is best? I am starting to think I will not get up sold as Carnival cannot contact me without going through my TA. Not so sure that is such a great thing?

In the past I would have said TA. At the present time I would say book directly with the cruise line.

In my opinion, the internet has killed the travel agency business and now it just adds another layer to your booking which serves as a disadvantage as opposed to an advantage.

Just my opinion.

If your TA cannot provide you with something a PVP cannot, than PVP. However, sometimes TA's book blocks of rooms cheaper than you doing it yourself, so you can get in on these deals. The only problem is if you have a TA, you cannot do anything with carnival but ask general questions. the TA has complete control over your booking, and depending on how they're paid commission may or may not want to help you if it will hurt them.

For example, price drops, with a TA, you cannot submit one, you have to wait for the TA to do it, and many many price drops happen at night and are gone by morning, so you'd be out of luck. if you have a PVP, you can submit the form, and call anyone if it's denied 24/7, even if your PVP is off duty to have it fixed.

If your TA cannot provide you with something a PVP cannot, than PVP. However, sometimes TA's book blocks of rooms cheaper than you doing it yourself, so you can get in on these deals. The only problem is if you have a TA, you cannot do anything with carnival but ask general questions. the TA has complete control over your booking, and depending on how they're paid commission may or may not want to help you if it will hurt them.

For example, price drops, with a TA, you cannot submit one, you have to wait for the TA to do it, and many many price drops happen at night and are gone by morning, so you'd be out of luck. if you have a PVP, you can submit the form, and call anyone if it's denied 24/7, even if your PVP is off duty to have it fixed.

Or you get an awesome TA like us that always checks on price drops for us without us having to ask her and I never have to check myself. Last cruise in July, we had almost $900 OBC due to our TA checking and getting us our price drops. :):):)

Or you get an awesome TA like us that always checks on price drops for us without us having to ask her and I never have to check myself. Last cruise in July, we had almost $900 OBC due to our TA checking and getting us our price drops. :):):)

That right there is a perfect example of something a TA can do that a PVP cannot do for you! Keep that TA lol.

Both TA /PVP options have pros and cons depending on what you are trying to accomplish. But in the case of booking Carnival I feel that a good PVP is the way to go. There are over 500 PVPs, so if you know someone that has what they consider a good one from a customer service standpoint, ask for a recommendation.

As for upsells and the benefit of booking direct, the odds of you getting an upsell call are always slim, but much better than getting the call if booked with a T/A which is nil.

My vote is neither, unless you just need a middleman.

I handle all my bookings, I handle all my air reservations, I handle all my excursion bookings and I handle all my hotel reservations.

When something goes wrong, I also accept the blame.

That right there is a perfect example of something a TA can do that a PVP cannot do for you! Keep that TA lol.

Except..a PVP can do that...and a good one will. The last time I used a PVP, we were in an ov cabin... on Sensation... and 3 days before we were underway... our pvp called me and asked if I would like to be in suite. Of course, but did not have the money to pay the difference at that time... she said... oh, no money... its free! Unfortuneatly, she left Carnival due to family matters. The most recent PVP, who was automatically assigned to me after visiting the website logged in.. has called me a few times.. and emailed me. I told her I basically do all my bookings myself. She asked me to give her a chance and she would take good care of me. She would watch for deals and let me know... and 3 weeks after I have been offered 3 free cruises in the My cruise offers" on the ccl site... i have not heard from her to inform me of these. So needless to say... she is not and will not be my pvp. She told me she could monitor my sailing and see if anyone was attempting to call me with upgrades... so I considered it... well ain't gonna happen now.

Except..a PVP can do that...and a good one will. The last time I used a PVP, we were in an ov cabin... on Sensation... and 3 days before we were underway... our pvp called me and asked if I would like to be in suite. Of course, but did not have the money to pay the difference at that time... she said... oh, no money... its free! Unfortuneatly, she left Carnival due to family matters. The most recent PVP, who was automatically assigned to me after visiting the website logged in.. has called me a few times.. and emailed me. I told her I basically do all my bookings myself. She asked me to give her a chance and she would take good care of me. She would watch for deals and let me know... and 3 weeks after I have been offered 3 free cruises in the My cruise offers" on the ccl site... i have not heard from her to inform me of these. So needless to say... she is not and will not be my pvp. She told me she could monitor my sailing and see if anyone was attempting to call me with upgrades... so I considered it... well ain't gonna happen now.

A pvp won't do your price adjustments unless you ask though. The call from the other pvp was essentially the upgrade fairy, and she called you first. I'd be willing to bet that you would have been called anyway.

I handle all my bookings, I handle all my air reservations, I handle all my excursion bookings and I handle all my hotel reservations.

A PVP technically is not a middleman since they are Carnival employees. :)

In my opinion, it does not hurt to plan it all out yourself and then call the PVP to officially book it. (or do the courtesy hold and then completing via a PVP)

I prefer to book myself, online. We used a TA this time because I won a prize package from them, and now I know that I hate having to go through someone else to do everything. I don't use a PVP either, because it honestly seems like they don't know which way is up most times when there is a problem that they are typically responsible for creating. Ha!

Cruises are the easiest vacation there is to plan, book, and pay for all by yourself. With a little internet research you can really do a lot in your embarkation city and ports for very little money too. :)

I agree with this 100%. With all the information avail on the internet these days I (my opinion) see no use for a T/A whatsoever. I go online and book the cruise I want, cabin i want, fights that work best for me, hotels if needed etc etc. Plus I always get my FF points or hotel points for use later. This all being said, I am not like some on here, who obsess over saving or spending a few dollars more here or there.

I guess the main reason I use a TA is because they are friends. They make a little something on my booking and I pay no extra. I am the driving force behind the booking and the TA only books what I tell them. I have run into the price problem as its not always easy to get hold of the TA but they have got it resolved to my satisfaction. If Carnival gave me an incentive to book all myself, then I would. However they do not so I would rather a friend make something as well!

Nothing wrong with either option. It’s really a personal preference. In the past I’ve used a TA and had no problems with anything I needed them to do. Very accommodating and available 24/7. This last cruise, I booked on my own through the website and liked it better. Just the idea of being able to see your booking and make payments without having to pick up the phone was great for me. Now for my next trip (which is yet to be booked), I’ve taken the recommendation of a PVP. So far he’s been great and I will probably book through him. Regardless, I will watch out for my own price drops as I enjoy chasing them down. I would never leave that totally in the hands of a PVP or TA. Sure you can do it on your own, but a lot of people don’t have time or choose not to. And the point is there are options. Your way is your choice. Doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with the way another person does it.

In my opinion, it does not hurt to plan it all out yourself and then call the PVP to officially book it. (or do the courtesy hold and then completing via a PVP)

Sure, it doesn't hurt, but does it help?

I hate talking on the phone. I tried to contact my PVP via email, but never heard from her, so I gave up and booked myself. For all the emails she has sent me, you think an email to her would not have been a problem.

I have a good TA, but it took a few tries to find one. I always get the same price as what I see directly from Carnival, plus some stuff. My TA pays for my travel insurance for cruises (usually about $120 through Carnival), provides free drink coupons, and provides some inexpensive stuff like travel cooler, backpack, etc. He gets me price drops and has been very available if I need anything.

My upcoming cruise I used a PVP just because I had no intention to take a cruise and he called me right when I had cruising on my mind...kinda like Carnival put a mind reading device in the food, or because I kept looking a cruises on the website and not booking. The one thing he was able to do that I wasn't was see cabins that were available that didn't show on the website. I don't know if a TA can see those also.