How to survive the long flight to Australia?

I am a contrarian in that as soon as I get to my destination, I usually take a nap for an hour or so and then if possible, get out in the daylight (with sunblock, of course). It then takes me about a day to adjust.

This works very well for us too. We live just north of Chicago, and whether we travel to Europe or to Israel, this strategy works: take a one-hour nap, then get up and walk. Eat dinner, stay up at least until 10 PM, than sleep. Set the alarm for a normal wake up time and start enjoying your trip.

We're flying to your part of the world in January, first to Papeete then meandering gradually through Polynesia to Australia and then on to New Zealand. We're flying from Milwaukee to California and overnighting there (trying to outwit any possible snowstorms), then flying via Air Tahiti Nui the following day. We return from Auckland via Air New Zealand. We're biting the bullet and have bought business class seats. We have noise-cancelling headphones, are loading our tablets with movies and- I haven't seen this one yet- may use our CPAP machines on board. There are outlets, so it's possible. I suppose it's not the most stylish look, but we both sleep better (and much more quietly!) using them.

This thread makes very interesting reading. Thanks, everyone, for the great insights!

If you're willing to try something to avoid jet lag, an over the counter tablet popped every 2-3 hours before, during and after the flight really helped me.

The product is Jet-Ease (it's name in Australia). I'm giving it a thumbs up.

In the states it's called No-Jet-Lag and it's available on-line or at some specialty stores. We have used it and it works if you follow the directions. We also do not sleep when we arrive and try to adjust to local time. I read that pilots and flight crews use this product, so it does work :).

Kathy