How to survive the long flight to Australia?

We were fortunate to get first class to Hawaii on American using miles. From Honolulu to Sydney flying Hawaii Airlines Economy Plus. My husband is tall so hope the extra legroom helps! Thanks for all the great advice!

Those seats will certainly help make it more comfortable. Enjoy your flight.:D

It doesn't help sleep. It's a homeopathic remedy for jet lag. I've used it a couple of times and it does seem to help with jet lag on the outward journey but somehow doesn't seem as effective on the homeward journey. Of course that just may be because I'm revved up to sightsee and have fun after the outward journey, and coming home after a great holiday is always a downer. :confused:

The last couple of trips I have done from Europe, I haven't had any jet lag once home but as I had a stop over in Japan, we slept the whole time there (16 hours - overnight) to get over it. Japan is only one hour difference to Australia's eastern standard time zone.

The last couple of trips I have done from Europe, I haven't had any jet lag once home but as I had a stop over in Japan, we slept the whole time there (16 hours - overnight) to get over it. Japan is only one hour difference to Australia's eastern standard time zone.

I get shocking jet lag after returning from Europe. It knocks me around for almost a week after arriving home. I feel like I'm drunk for the first couple of days, it's so bad.

I take a couple of 500+ page books and make the best of it. I take my own packaged snacks and avoid caffeine. I drink lots of water and apply moisturizer and lip balm often.

I am a contrarian in that as soon as I get to my destination, I usually take a nap for an hour or so and then if possible, get out in the daylight (with sunblock, of course). It then takes me about a day to adjust.

I take a couple of 500+ page books and make the best of it. I take my own packaged snacks and avoid caffeine. I drink lots of water and apply moisturizer and lip balm often.

I am a contrarian in that as soon as I get to my destination, I usually take a nap for an hour or so and then if possible, get out in the daylight (with sunblock, of course). It then takes me about a day to adjust.

That's similar to what we do --we try to have a nap in the afternoon (if we can make it that long) and then have dinner at the correct time for the zone we are in.

It doesn't help sleep. It's a homeopathic remedy for jet lag. I've used it a couple of times and it does seem to help with jet lag on the outward journey but somehow doesn't seem as effective on the homeward journey. Of course that just may be because I'm revved up to sightsee and have fun after the outward journey, and coming home after a great holiday is always a downer. :confused:

It worked both westbound to Europe and return for me. DH didn't choose to join me in the trial and suffered for 3 weeks once home. I think I have convinced him to partake next time :).

It worked both westbound to Europe and return for me. DH didn't choose to join me in the trial and suffered for 3 weeks once home. I think I have convinced him to partake next time :).

WoW, jet lag for three weeks :eek: that is enough to put me onto almost anything.:rolleyes:

I have never suffered jet lag going ON a trip. The getting straight into the time rhythem and having a big first day (I believe) stops this).

It's when I get home that I feel it. (Probably as I have lots of TV recordings to catch up on - so when I wake up I let myself watch a bit).:mad:

Raina

I have never suffered jet lag going ON a trip. The getting straight into the time rhythem and having a big first day (I believe) stops this).

It's when I get home that I feel it. (Probably as I have lots of TV recordings to catch up on - so when I wake up I let myself watch a bit).:mad:

Raina

To avoid the jet lag, you need to do the same things when you come home, as you did when you go away. Look after yourself , adjust to times early and put in the big long first day if required.:D

Any hints on how to prepare for the long flight to Australia? Luckily stopping in Hawaii for a couple of days!

YES, we did the Hawaii stop-over. Day and a half for Oahu going down and four days coming back on the Big Island for our return. Worked super well. As noted in the live/blog below, we got off of the Solstice in February. Check out these postings for more info/background on our various pre-cruise and the many port stops in both great countries.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 75,936 views for this fun posting.

Here’s the first view from the balcony of our Aston Circle Waikiki Hotel room. Not a new or fancy hotel, but a great location in the heart of this famed beach area. The pink building shown under the mega high-rise is the Royal Hawaiian Hotel built in 1927 as the second destination resort on this island.:

NikonCamerasNew6_zps539d222a.jpg

Great picture Terry.:D

Appreciate your kind comment on that one Hawaii picture. Yes, those islands make a photographer look very, very good and talented. So much great "eye candy" there to catch and experience. Below are two more to help build the case for stopping over in Hawaii. Lots more on the full blog, both for Oahu and the Big Island.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 76,063 views for this fun posting.

Here are just two samples (from many more good ones that I could share) of the beaches and sights on the North Shore and then along the super scenic eastern side of Oahu. Look nice? We super enjoyed our four days on the Big Island after finishing the cruise and time in Auckland.:

NikonCamerasNew3_zps85cd9707.jpg

NikonCamerasNew_zps9bfcd016.jpg