How to survive the long flight to Australia?

Any hints on how to prepare for the long flight to Australia?

LOL. We see a flight to US as a quick flight! It takes us 25 hr to get to most places in Europe so 14hs is lovely.

Nothing is close for us.

But what I do to cope.....

Change my watch to local time for arrival, as soon as I get onto the plane.

Drink water between each beverage. (this also makes me get up more often for toilet breaks and thus helps with DVT and stiffness).

Embrace the fact that I will be there for xx hours and don't fight it. Drink, eat, watch a movie, doze for 7 minutes (as I cannot sleep well on the plane) and repeat.

Fight the urge to have a nap when you arrive at your accommodation. Go for a walk, dinner then bed.

I also try to arrive in the morning so that I can then spend the day touristing. The have an early night.

I have never suffered jet lag going on a trip. (I do suffer tiredness at the end of the trip and that messes my times up.)

Enjoy your trip.

Any hints on how to prepare for the long flight to Australia? Luckily stopping in Hawaii for a couple of days!

We take our tablets with us and download the inflight movies etc.

I am a shocking long haul tragic, I get bored so easy, the tablets seem to work for me.

Enjoy your journey and be safe.

Cheers

As mentioned already by AussieVisi2r, we do most of those things.

In addition,

• limit alcohol to a little with meals or none;
  • drink lots of water and moisturise hands and face;
  • brush teeth after meals, it is refreshing;
  • travel socks/stockings as well as stretching regularly;
  • earplugs and mask for the dozing/naps; and
  • noise cancelling head phones, cuts out the drone of the plane so that movies are more enjoyable, and makes sleeping easier, also cuts down on jet lag.

:D

But then you would have to keep taking long boring flights to make living in New Zealand "seem" OK:D:D:D

from where?

The longest flight is Dunedin to Auckland about 90 minutes and 3 1/2 hours across the ditch

Really look at your choice of flight times. What time of day are you departing or transferring flights.

With small kids best to fly over night with no transfers at body time of 3am ect.

Try and make sure you are comfortable and relaxed.

Comfy clothes that are layered. It might be snowing where you live but 35 degrees at your destination.

The airplane is not the place to try new foods. Protect your tummy and don't go a chicken curry. Your seat mates won't appreciate you if you do.

On arrival at destination try and go straight into their time zone. Don't sleep the day away.

With online seat allocation you can work out how full the airplane is and try and get a spare seat next to you by moving around prior to departure.

The front of the aircraft is the busiest so book seats towards the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There is something about long flights I actually enjoy! Sad I know :)

I agree with all of the above. Relax - get into the mindset of being on the plane for a while. Take advantage of the entertainment or download whatever you are into to your tablet. I also change my watch straight away and never sleep as soon as I arrive.

Happy travels!

If you can afford it go Premium Economy or Business Class. We have done the USA West Coast - Sydney flight a few times, can handle that. The European ones are testing, we have a couple of nights stop over and in May travelled Premium Economy on Qantas, LHR to Sydney, a little easier with the extra room but still a nightmare. I am saving up and looking for cheap business class fares to and from London next year.

If you can afford it go Premium Economy or Business Class. We have done the USA West Coast - Sydney flight a few times, can handle that. The European ones are testing, we have a couple of nights stop over and in May travelled Premium Economy on Qantas, LHR to Sydney, a little easier with the extra room but still a nightmare. I am saving up and looking for cheap business class fares to and from London next year.

If you can or want to afford the business class flights, that is surely the way to go. :D

Personally, I would go business every time but I don't always get the upgrade I deserve. I buy economy tickets and spend those dollars saved on other aspects of my holiday. :D

Some good advice in here.

Remember, flying is dehydrating -- as is alcohol and the impact of coffee. Moderate intake. Drink water.

Those neck pillows can make life and sleeping more comfortable.

Noise canceling earphones are a boon..

Loose, comfortable clothes.

Consider those special socks to counter foot swelling, and also protect against DVD.

Walk around the aeroplane as much as you can.

Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any premium economy seats between Hawaii and Australia. Or the ones that are offered include flights to LA and then back to Honolulu.

We have found that Premium Economy between Sydney and Abu Dhabi offers good value (cost is about $1400 compared to $900 for economy).

I can recommend some noise cancelling headphones to you. Look for Audio Technica ATH-ANC7b headphones. These can be bought for $114 AU and are extremely effective. An Australian consumer affairs magazine ranked them second behind another product that costs 4 times as much. My workmates are certainly intending to buy them because I have been blocking out all their chat with these headphones for a few years now!

Other than that, I would suggest doctor prescribed sleeping tablets. Unwise to use the over-the-counter doxylamine because it makes you drowsy for many hours afterwards.

If you're willing to try something to avoid jet lag, an over the counter tablet popped every 2-3 hours before, during and after the flight really helped me.

The product is Jet-Ease (it's name in Australia). I'm giving it a thumbs up.

Edited by Kinkacruiser

If you're willing to try something to avoid jet lag, an over the counter tablet popped every 2-3 hours before, during and after the flight really helped me.

The product is Jet-Ease (it's name in Australia). I'm giving it a thumbs up.

I might even look at that one

Heard if it but not anything about it. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your idea of stopping over in Hawaii for a day or two each way is the best way. The stopover costs would probably be less than the difference between economy and business class airfares.

We fly from Seattle to Sydney on Hawaiian Airlines and the overnight stopover in Hawaii is included as there is no connecting flights the same day.

Your idea of stopping over in Hawaii for a day or two each way is the best way. The stopover costs would probably be less than the difference between economy and business class airfares.

We fly from Seattle to Sydney on Hawaiian Airlines and the overnight stopover in Hawaii is included as there is no connecting flights the same day.

Now there is a great idea to get the airline to pay the overnight (built into the price I suspect) costs.:D

Never heard of Jet-Ease, will need to research this pill. I haven't really needed any medication due to all the precautions and actions taken through the flight, but this may be a great addition, especially if it helps sleep. :D

It doesn't help sleep. It's a homeopathic remedy for jet lag. I've used it a couple of times and it does seem to help with jet lag on the outward journey but somehow doesn't seem as effective on the homeward journey. Of course that just may be because I'm revved up to sightsee and have fun after the outward journey, and coming home after a great holiday is always a downer. :confused: