Stateroom phone charges?

DorothyB

It's $7.99 per minute. I actually dialed the number that is listed for people to call the ship from shore, and the recorded message said it's $7.99 per minute. That sparked my memory of having been told that was the amount to call ship to shore when I asked on my Dawn cruise in April.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't each carrier different? What about roaming charges? And charges for every time you get a voice mail? Just asking because I honestly don't know how it works in the middle of the ocean.

Cruise ships provide cell service through a third party provider...it is via satellite. That provider passes along the charge to your wireless carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sprint is $2.99 per minute and its considered International Roaming. It shows up on your next bill!

Edited by TinCan782
added info

Sprint is $2.99 per minute and its considered International Roaming. It shows up on your next bill!

That's interesting Buckeye...I added (via edit) the bit about third party provider via satellite and it showed up as part of your original post instead of along with my Sprint info!

Isn't each carrier different? What about roaming charges? And charges for every time you get a voice mail? Just asking because I honestly don't know how it works in the middle of the ocean.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You do not get charged if someone calls your phone, gets your voicemail and leaves you a message. You'll only get charged if you actually call your voicemail to listen to the message.

You can always google "cellular at sea" and the name of your carrier to see what kind of rates they offer if you use your cellphone on a cruise ship.

Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T are about $2.49-2.99/minute for roaming from a cruise ship. T-Mobile is the outlier of the major US cellular companies. They charge $5.99/minute (found toward the bottom of this page where it says "Going on a cruise?").

Edited by Daghis

You actually CAN get charged if someone leaves you a voicemail.

It depends if your phone is on at the time.

If your phone is off (or in airplane mode), you will not get charged.

However, if your phone RINGS, you ignore it, and then the person leaves you voicemail, you get billed for the number of minutes that they spend leaving you the voicemail!

Awful, right?

You can sometimes talk the phone company into giving you a credit for that, but it's best to leave your cell in airplane mode (or off) while onboard at sea or in a foreign country.

Also, make sure to turn off "data roaming", as AT&T charges about $20 per megabyte (!!)