Great Stirrup Cay, last week

Giantfan13

to OP, or anyone who knows the answer...;);)

We've rented a large cabana for our family for our upcoming November NCL cruise. Does anyone know how far from the large cabanas is this lagoon? It really looks like where we want to be - away from the crowds. Will we have to traverse rocky ground to get there?? :D

Thanks in advance.

attachment.php?attachmentid=324089&d=1409704026

to OP, or anyone who knows the answer...;);)

We've rented a large cabana for our family for our upcoming November NCL cruise. Does anyone know how far from the large cabanas is this lagoon? It really looks like where we want to be - away from the crowds. Will we have to traverse rocky ground to get there?? :D

Thanks in advance.

It's only about a 5 minute walk -- see pic above cabanna's are up on the ridge, near the main road/path about in the middle of the picture. The lagoon is at the bottom of pic. The tender launch.dock is at the top.

Edited by amflor

Deb

I don't know what you mean by 'better' food. A BBQ is the same where ever it is done. Myself, like Maureen, were on the MSC Divina and they sort of rent this island from NCL for their day there. I really don't know how NCL works their food on GSC, but it was the same at the lagoon as was at the main beach area, where most of the people stayed.

If you stay there, you have 2000 or so people, at the lagoon, maybe a couple of hundred. There is no middle ground.

As I said originally, we were in no rush to get to GSC. We got to the main beach area about 11 and there wasn't a spot to be had. Going over to the Lagoon, you have your choice of hundreds of chairs, spots, whatever you want. The choice is yours to make.

Cheers

Len

Deb

I don't know what you mean by 'better' food. A BBQ is the same where ever it is done. Myself, like Maureen, were on the MSC Divina and they sort of rent this island from NCL for their day there. I really don't know how NCL works their food on GSC, but it was the same at the lagoon as was at the main beach area, where most of the people stayed.

If you stay there, you have 2000 or so people, at the lagoon, maybe a couple of hundred. There is no middle ground.

As I said originally, we were in no rush to get to GSC. We got to the main beach area about 11 and there wasn't a spot to be had. Going over to the Lagoon, you have your choice of hundreds of chairs, spots, whatever you want. The choice is yours to make.

Cheers

Len

You've sold me Len, I'm really looking forward to GSC more now than I ever was. Now let's just hope the weather cooperates. Thanks for this thread. Bob

Deb

Cheers

Len

From a previous post (maybe on a different thread, I can't remember), I thought it said they only served hamburgers and hot dogs near the lagoon. Neither one of those appeal to me. So is that the case on the whole island? if so, then no big deal. I thought that maybe there were better choices at different areas. For example, on RCI's islands, the suite guests and Diamond + members get access to a private beach where they serve a better buffet lunch such as shrimp kabobs etc. whereas the regular buffets serve hamburgers, hotdogs, chicken, ribs and all of the fixings.

And is there a full bar near the lagoon or is it limited?

Thanks in advance.

Again Deb, I'm only saying what I know from MSC cruises. NCL may be an entirely different scenario.

At the Lagoon they had Burgers, Dogs, some other stuff (Corn on the cob etc. ), desserts, and water and Lemonade. I really can't say for sure if they had more or less at the main area, or if they had a special section for their Yacht Club people. We don't eat meat, so we really didn't partake too much at the BBQ.

Cheers

Len

Is there any reason why you can't just walk to the lagoon, instead of taking the tram?

Are there any nature trails on the island? When I was there earlier this year it looked like they were planning some for the future.

You can absolutely walk. it will take about 15 minutes or so. Don't know about the nature trails though.

When we were there it was HOT, and riding was better than walking. :D:D:D:D

Cheers

Len

Can this walk be done along the beach? Or does it get too rocky or anything in order to not be able to follow the beach down to the lagoon area?

mitsugirly, found the link under forms private islands great stirrup cay

Little Stirrup Cay review with slideshow link (Multi-page thread 1 2)

Just so you know, little stirrup cay and great stirrup cay is NOT the same place. NCL owns Great Stirrup Cay and I believe Royal Caribbean owns Little Stirrup Cay. ;)

Can this walk be done along the beach? Or does it get too rocky or anything in order to not be able to follow the beach down to the lagoon area?

That is a good question and I have no answer for you on that.

Sorry

Cheers

Len

mitsu, perhaps these pictures will help you out;

10157267_680184382040184_1087855967436703380_n.jpg?oh=b4b3baecc94746f31fd2f5dfd4af640b&oe=54BDF3DB&__gda__=1422834157_bd437090f25c6ad8714b1e758e044744

GSC seen from the tender harbor.

1534472_680184422040180_3899796684238597691_n.jpg?oh=45973637c8e935598ba044d9b92a1944&oe=54C8553E

10157411_680184338706855_3749542156833084114_n.jpg?oh=c897826ef3b831b056bc07f596bcf95b&oe=54CC6115&__gda__=1422394239_14818798a6350da556556963c785d304

A close up of the Bacardi bar. Paths/roads are seen.

From what I've seen it's a walkable curved stroll, haven't been there yet myself. Didn't recall if you prefer (or don't) the tram/transport offered on the island.

Be aware many say it's an hot climate with lots of sun. Enjoy!

mitsu, perhaps these pictures will help you out;

GSC seen from the tender harbor.

A close up of the Bacardi bar. Paths/roads are seen.

From what I've seen it's a walkable curved stroll, haven't been there yet myself. Didn't recall if you prefer (or don't) the tram/transport offered on the island.

Be aware many say it's an hot climate with lots of sun. Enjoy!

Yea, I have all these pictures already saved on my computer. But since they are all aerial photos, it's really hard to know the terrain if you were down on the ground trying to walk along the edge of the water/beach area to know if you can do that or not. I was just wondering if anyone here had tried it and if it's doable instead of taking the tram. If you are walking along the water, it's easy to dip in when/if you get hot while walking. :)