changed us from liberty to valor

Big Bang fan

My fiancée and I are going on a cruise from port canaveral April 25. We had this booked for a few months now and they just changed our ship from the Liberty to Valor. I called both carnival and ************ and they won't give me anything to make up for the change. Is anybody else experiencing this?

Also, how is the Valor?

Go to entries from earlier today. There was a group discussing the cancellation of the Liberty and substitution of Valor. An earlier poster on our own roll call (we're on the Liberty in January) mentioned that we'd "dodged a bullet", as the Valor had not had the Funship 2.0 upgrades done yet. It's an interesting thread...pop on down and read. I think the thread listing was "trip cancellation" or some such thing.

We are booked on the same cruise in April. Our roll call is going strong. We have been booked for about a 1 1/2 years and first they changed our port and now the whole ship. None of us are to happy but are dealing with it since there are so many of us going together. I hope Carnival doesn't do anymore changes. The Valor is a nice ship. Come join our roll call.

Sandra

they won't give me anything to make up for the change.

Buried somewhere in that Ticket Contract that you read and agreed to before you confirmed your cruise, there's a clause that states that Carnival has the right to change vessels without compensation to you. So yes, they won't give you anything to make up for the change. Thankfully, you're switching from one Conquest class ship to another class ship. They are sister ships, although Liberty has some new bars and restaurants. At least they didn't swap you to an old Fantasy class ship! :eek:

I've been on the Valor out of Miami 3 times. It's actually one of my favorite ships next to the Legend. Although I haven't been on any of the ships that have the 2.0 upgrades, I still like the Valor and the decor of the ship. I really don't think you'll be uphappy!

Buried somewhere in that Ticket Contract that you read and agreed to before you confirmed your cruise, there's a clause that states that Carnival has the right to change vessels without compensation to you. So yes, they won't give you anything to make up for the change. Thankfully, you're switching from one Conquest class ship to another class ship. They are sister ships, although Liberty has some new bars and restaurants. At least they didn't swap you to an old Fantasy class ship! :eek:

Bingo. Compensation will be an uphill battle. I've been on Valor though and had no complaints. If it really is that big of a deal, perhaps cancel or change cruises? I know it sucks for you, but unfortunately I agree that compensation isn't owed. This is one of the risks we have to take. Hope you enjoy it either way though :cool:

If you book a cruise for the ports the ship not having the 2.0 upgrades probably won't be an issue. If you book based on the ship, which is what my group did, then it matters. We moved our booking to the Glory so we could have a 2.0 ship. A little more inconvenient to have to get to Miami instead of Port Canaveral but I'm willing to do that.

I know someone else already mentioned the other thread where someone else who was scheduled to sail on Liberty was also switched to Valor. I responded since I had recently been on both Valor (May 2013) and Liberty (April 2014) with Liberty being our first experience on a ship with the 2.0 upgrades. I copied and pasted my response (in red) to them here for your convenience. Hope this helps.

We were on Valor in May 2013 on the southern Caribbean cruise out of San Juan. Although Valor did not have the upgrades yet, we really enjoyed her, beautiful ship and wonderful staff. Our first experience on a ship with the 2.0 upgrades was this past April (2014) on Liberty for a western Caribbean out of Miami (I think two weeks before she was moved to Port Canaveral). These are just my honest thoughts about the 2.0 upgrades. We loved Guy's Burgers, so we were very happy about that. What we didn't really like were the locations of the two new bars, the Red Frog Rum Bar and the Blue Iguana Cantina. We liked the bars themselves but where the are located is right along Lido Deck 9 by the main pool that is mid-ship. They are smack in the middle, so many of the tables and chairs under the covered decks were eliminated to make room for the bars. On sea days, there was just so much overcrowding on the Lido Deck by the main pool. It was so crowded that at times we couldn't get through and had to go up the stairs to Panorama Deck 10 to get around the crowds. There were no changes to the adult only aft pool at the back of the ship. We loved Liberty too, but I think the only thing we might miss would be the Guy Burgers. We never got a chance to eat at the Blue Iguana since it's only open for a limited time in the morning and again at lunch, while Guy Burgers was open for most of the day. Valor also seemed to have more staff. At the pool bars on Lido Deck, there were always at least three bartenders and on sea days, there were four or five and again late in the afternoon after leaving a port, there was enough staff at the bars. On Liberty, I think there may have been three at the Red Frog Rum bar, but we never saw any more than that. During times where it wasn't as busy, there were only one or two bartenders, which created long lines that backed up to the pool deck. The Blue Iguana Tequila bar wasn't always open, so that would also add to the crowd at Red Frog. On Valor, they had bar staff constantly making the rounds, which we didn't see much of on Liberty.

I'm not going to attach any pictures but I have a lot of pictures, of both Valor and Liberty, in the reviews I did for each cruise. The links to those are in my signature. They are pretty much the same in layout except for the Lido Deck, where Valor seemed to be more open and free flowing since both bars (port and starboard) are still in the original locations, which are just outside the interior and near the stairs that lead to Panorama Deck 10.

I will note that while many do say Liberty is one of their favorite ships and Liberty IS a nice ship, but Valor is currently on the southern itinerary out of San Juan, which is one of the most spectacular itineraries scenery wise and very port heavy (5 ports of call), poor Valor isn't the "star" of that itinerary - the scenery is. But we loved the Valor and would not hesitate to sail on her again, even without the upgrades. She is probably my favorite ship as it stands right now. I hope this helps and I hope you have a wonderful cruise on Valor.

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell me the difference between the two ships. I feel so much better now! I know will have a good cruise now. Thanks again!

We are booked on the same cruise in April. Our roll call is going strong. We have been booked for about a 1 1/2 years and first they changed our port and now the whole ship. None of us are to happy but are dealing with it since there are so many of us going together. I hope Carnival doesn't do anymore changes. The Valor is a nice ship. Come join our roll call.

Sandra

Hi Sandra, What is a roll call? We booked our honeymoon cruise in February and had it picked out way back in November and it had the same ports that it is going to now. Where was it going before? I hope the ports don't change again. I like these ports. It's so neat we can talk to people that are going on our ship!

The Valor is one of our favorite CCL ships. Actually going back on her in January. As for the 2.0 upgrades....to be honest we don't even like them. Guys Burgers and the Blue Iguana are OK....but the shows are far superior with a real orchestra and full dancing cast....you can get hamburgers at the grill in the aft part of the lido and they are yummy. I think CCL was selling "swampland" when they introduced their big 2.0 upgrades and then removed a ton of far better stuff all over the ship....a downgrade to us. I am sure you will like the Valor, she is a beautiful ship....have a fun time!!

Hi Sandra, What is a roll call? We booked our honeymoon cruise in February and had it picked out way back in November and it had the same ports that it is going to now. Where was it going before? I hope the ports don't change again. I like these ports. It's so neat we can talk to people that are going on our ship!

Hi Big Bang fan, Go to the top of this page and look for Cruise Critic Message Boards Forums click on that scroll down then in Roll Calls click on Carnival Roll Calls then select the ship you are going on and then the Date. You will be able to chat with fellow cruisers before you Board and usually will have different things planned to get together to meet everyone once on Board.

Hi Sandra, can't believe we will miss the Buddy Bears :eek: we will be on the Valor on May 8th.... DANG.. So close but so FAR away!!! LOL...;)

Big Bang Fan, go to the top of this page and look for Cruise Critic Board Forums click on that then scroll down to Roll Calls.. click on Carnival Roll Calls then select your ship and then date you will be cruising. Love to chat with and get to know my fellow cruisers before we board the Ship. Have sat at my computer many night before a cruise totally holding my sides and having tears running down my face from LMAO. But BEWARE... it is addictive! :eek:;)

Hey Sandra, we will be sailing the Valor May 8th... can't believe i'm missing the Buddy Bears cruise!!!:eek: Tell everyone "Margarita" says Hello!! I know there will be a "PARTAY" at the TIKI Bar..:D

Edited by Hmdecor
Woops.. Sorry Double Post