Celebrity Century being sold elsewhere.

You can change your flights to whatever (and whenever) flight that particular airline allows for a fee which is what is compensated for. definitely a hassle and certainly not ideal but it is compensating people for those fees which are generally between $150-$300.

They can be changed, but given you will likely have two one way flights, and that they'll then have to link up for another purpose and may well have been different airlines, plus will quite likely have changed in availability so you'll have to pay extra costs especially if travel is further, it will be quite complicated and most likely going to cost substantially more than that to change to somewhere else.

e.g. Say you have an Emirates flight to Dubai. As that is a single flight and hub, going anywhere else is likely going to be a lot more expensive to change. You may then have a one way from Rome to Sydney, which could be via a number of carriers. Finding a common location they all serve will likely be a hassle. And all up, the cost of changing is very unlikely to be under $300 for both.

Best to just work with what you have. Offering a "change fee" is pretty much useless in this context, unlike domestic US where they originated and is more about people changing to another date when they can take another replacement cruise, which is much more straightforward.

When your holiday plans are disrupted on a one-way international like this, changing is pretty difficult and an impractical suggestion. You either build off and substitute it, or cancel.

Probably worth considering if you ever look at a last cruise a company is doing before selling a ship. Everyone knew they were selling the ship, but I do think that it is very rude. You hear a few threads about people being bumped for charters etc. Travel industry is not very nice sometimes to those that save up for trips of a lifetime. Just $$$$$$$$$$$ to the company.

It is to cover the air change fees or the insurance access, not the whole flight cost. Still it is a big hassle and depending on people's plans wouldn't go far.

My insurance will not cover this. I am disgusted that I will loose well over a thousand pounds in airfares. Celebrity should look after their customers this would of been my 16th cruise with them.

My insurance will not cover this. I am disgusted that I will loose well over a thousand pounds in airfares. Celebrity should look after their customers this would of been my 16th cruise with them.

I feel bad for you.:(

I agree that they should look after their customers but as evident by your situation they tend to pick a line that suits most passengers but not all. I take it you cannot change your flights to suit another cruise or holiday. I suggest you contact them personally and see what can be done to salvage what you can.

Edited by MicCanberra

I am sure some people's plans are totally ruined while other's will have minimal inconvenience. :(

It may even be easier for some people now that it is going to Singapore.:D

For new people booking, it could be an interesting B2B if you have the time - and if the ports are different. Makes the international flight easier.

For existing pax though, just offering change fees is insulting and unreasonable. Just because some can work around it doesn't make it a reasonable offer.

As said, the new cruise line Portuscale is showing how it's done, accounting for the cost of cancellations.

I agree that they should look after their customers but as evident by your situation they tend to pick a line that suits most passengers but not all.

Offering change fees alone will definitely not suit most customers, given the nature of the trip.

Having an open jaw flights is for one-off situations for most people, as you need to get some form of transport for the middle leg.

Since the cruise no longer exists, there is nothing to replace except to book a new flight. As said, that is the most suitable solution to salvage, but may not suit many travellers given it was for holiday purposes.

Offering change fees alone will definitely not suit most customers, given the nature of the trip.

Having an open jaw flights is for one-off situations for most people, as you need to get some form of transport for the middle leg.

Since the cruise no longer exists, there is nothing to replace except to book a new flight. As said, that is the most suitable solution to salvage, but may not suit many travellers given it was for holiday purposes.

I agree it is a bad situation for some people but the company supplies cruises and not everything else so cannot be responsible for everyones out of pocket expenses, which is why I suggest people get onto them directly and negotiate a deal that may suit them better.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

For new people booking, it could be an interesting B2B if you have the time - and if the ports are different. Makes the international flight easier.

For existing pax though, just offering change fees is insulting and unreasonable. Just because some can work around it doesn't make it a reasonable offer.

As said, the new cruise line Portuscale is showing how it's done, accounting for the cost of cancellations.

I said that 'they tend to pick a line that suits most passengers but not all.' not that it was reasonable. Portuscale is a different company still trying to forge a name and have cancelled their whole season here not just one cruise.

Edited by MicCanberra

I agree it is a bad situation for some people but the company supplies cruises and not everything else so cannot be responsible for everyones out of pocket expenses, which is why I suggest people get onto them directly and negotiate a deal that may suit them better.:D

Well, other cruise lines realise the impact their cancellation has on customers, especially when it's done for commercial reasons, and at such a late time.

Cruise lines are in the business of experiences, that's all their business is, so customer satisfaction is everything. Doing things for their profit, without recognising the customer's losses in unique situations, is taking advantage of customer's financial situation for their own pockets.

I said that 'they tend to pick a line that suits most passengers but not all.' not that it was reasonable. Portuscale is a different company still trying to forge a name and have cancelled their whole season here not just one cruise.

The issue is that that line doesn't suit most passengers either.

As for Portuscale, that response means it costs them even more! Given Celebrity only has to do it for one cruise, that is a unique one-way between distant countries and therefore there will almost certainly be single purpose travel purchased for almost all customers, they need to consider that to make customers whole from their commercial cancellation.

We here of customers being told they must have cancellation insurance if they need to cancel for any reason - it's not the cruise lines fault.

Here it's not the customer's fault the cruise line cancelled so it should pony up to make good on customer's losses.

Well, other cruise lines realise the impact their cancellation has on customers, especially when it's done for commercial reasons, and at such a late time.

I would hardly call 6 months plus, a late call. Princess were waiting (and still are) until the fortnight before to notify significant changes to their sailings after having known for months.

Cruise lines are in the business of experiences, that's all their business is, so customer satisfaction is everything. Doing things for their profit, without recognising the customer's losses in unique situations, is taking advantage of customer's financial situation for their own pockets.

X have picked a line that X feel most people will be best for them, hoping it will satisfy most of the passengers. For those passengers who are much worse off and wish to complain directly, they should do so and I am sure they will get extra compensation. And yes, companies take these lines to maintain their profits.

Edited by MicCanberra

We here of customers being told they must have cancellation insurance if they need to cancel for any reason - it's not the cruise lines fault.

Here it's not the customer's fault the cruise line cancelled so it should pony up to make good on customer's losses.

Of course it is Xs fault for changing the itinerary. I am not saying it is the customers fault for not having insurance. X is offering full refunds and for those who cannot change flights or are out of pocket much more will need to contact X directly to complain. I am sure that on a case by case basis they will make sure that customers remain their customers. It would just be too costly to have companies paying for all costs for everyone (e.g some may have been flying business class while others may have been cruising there).

Edited by MicCanberra

I would hardly call 6 months plus, a late call. Princess were waiting (and still are) until the fortnight before to notify significant changes to their sailings after having known for months.

Given the original decision was over a year out, and it's a major capital transfer, and mostly that it's a purely international cruise so air travel is required, 6 months is late in the game

Just because someone is even later doesn't justify this.

X have picked a line that X feel most people will be best for them, hoping it will satisfy most of the passengers. For those passengers who are much worse off and wish to complain directly, they should do so and I am sure they will get extra compensation. And yes, companies take these lines to maintain their profits.

Are you a rep for Celebrity? Otherwise how you can claim that they believe "will be best for most people." They haven't said that in their statements. So not sure why you're trying to fabricate that excuse.

Edited by The_Big_M

Of course it is Xs fault for changing the itinerary. I am not saying it is the customers fault for not having insurance. X is offering full refunds and for those who cannot change flights or are out of pocket much more will need to contact X directly to complain. I am sure that on a case by case basis they will make sure that customers remain their customers. It would just be too costly to have companies paying for all costs for everyone (e.g some may have been flying business class while others may have been cruising there).

Why would you be sure they would do that on a case by case basis, if they haven't said so?

They would put it in their announcement if that was their policy. You don't automatically get the $300 in change fees - you only get the amount if and for the amount you put a claim for - up to $300. They don't pay more than that. They could make a similar statement saying they would pay for air cancellation reimbursement in the same way if that was their attention. Just like Portuscale did. Based on what they have announced, that is not their intention to reimburse.

Are you a rep for Celebrity? Otherwise how you can claim that they believe "will be best for most people." They haven't said that in their statements. So not sure why you're trying to fabricate that excuse.

No I am not a rep.

Why would they make an offer that would turn most people away from ever cruising with them again, that doesn't make business sense, therefore they pick a line that will keep most people happy and handle any others on a case by case basis if the need arises.

No I am not a rep.

Why would they make an offer that would turn most people away from ever cruising with them again, that doesn't make business sense, therefore they pick a line that will keep most people happy and handle any others on a case by case basis if the need arises.

They make many decisions that turn people away. Just the pricing of some cruises turn people away. It's just financial decisions that they value dollars more than justice.

No I am not a rep.

They make many decisions that turn people away. Just the pricing of some cruises turn people away. It's just financial decisions that they value dollars more than justice.

If every business only made decisions that were fair to their customers then there would be need for regulations - or regulators!

Isn't that what most co0mpanies do.

It's a pretty rare company [especially public co.] that puts right ahead of $$$$$.

Spot on!

Cruise lines should be aware their business is purely about the customer experience, but in this instance Celebrity is lacking.

Spot on!

Cruise lines should be aware their business is purely about the customer experience, but in this instance Celebrity is lacking.

Just look at their website.

I believe that onboard they are good but clearly leave a lot to be desired in other aspects.

I said earlier I can smell litigation in the air [good to hear a story with a happy ending].:p

Just look at their website.

I believe that onboard they are good but clearly leave a lot to be desired in other aspects.

I said earlier I can smell litigation in the air [good to hear a story with a happy ending].:p

Yes, their web site has always had 'issues.' But that's a bit different from customers being disadvantaged.

Yes, their web site has always had 'issues.' But that's a bit different from customers being disadvantaged.

Personally I find the whole thing appalling, for the sake of two weeks they could have put on another cruise from Rome back to Singapore or bought her back empty.

In my opinion it was not thought through and may cause people to think twice about -X-.