Bringing sodas/water on your cruise question...

ArkTraveler82

I'm packing for our cruise and this is the first time we're bringing our own sodas on board. In the past, I've seen people standing in line with a case of soda sitting on top of their luggage but I can't remember which cruise line(s) this was. I've read in Carnival's guidelines that the sodas/water have to be in a carry-on. Is Carnival sticklers about this or do most people just carry on their beverages with no problem? Thanks so much!!!

I'm packing for our cruise and this is the first time we're bringing our own sodas on board. In the past, I've seen people standing in line with a case of soda sitting on top of their luggage but I can't remember which cruise line(s) this was. I've read in Carnival's guidelines that the sodas/water have to be in a carry-on. Is Carnival sticklers about this or do most people just carry on their beverages with no problem? Thanks so much!!!

As Carnival's policy states "On embarkation day, each guest may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages on board and only in their carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 bottles and/or cans, 20 ounces each or less." I'd read that as the beverages need to be inside a carry on of some sort. We brought ours on in our backpacks (each of us had a 12 pack of soda).

We were late boarding that day, so there weren't many people boarding at the same time as us and I wasn't aware of any out-in-the-open beverages being carried on.

Edited by Shmoo here

they ask you to carry it on so that it will not bust and ruin other luggage, sometimes they will not let it go with luggage and other times they let it go. we always carry ours on since they let us take it on. sooner or later they will stop it if they keep packing it in luggage, others dont like their clothes wet with wine and soda.

they ask you to carry it on so that it will not bust and ruin other luggage, sometimes they will not let it go with luggage and other times they let it go. we always carry ours on since they let us take it on. sooner or later they will stop it if they keep packing it in luggage, others dont like their clothes wet with wine and soda.

Exactly

I was worried about them busting too or having to bring an extra small suitcase just for 2 12-packs. Strapping them to a suitcase or the backpack ideas sounded good. Thanks for the input!

exactly +1

We bring bottled water and cans of soda on every cruise. Most of them being with Carnival. Sometimes it's in a shopping bag because we buy it right before boarding. Otherwise we just carry on the 12 packs with no problem at all. One time they did take every can out of the 12 pack to check them and then put them back in and taped the box shut. We've also taken a couple of 2 liters and a gallon jug of water before on Carnival with no issues at all.

remember you will have to carry it around until your cabin is ready. I bought (not specifically for my cruise) a small wheeled tote bag and put our soda in there. Be prepared to take the case(s) out for inspection. I had a 12 pk of soda and they opened it and checked each can.

Strap them on the top of my carry on, no problems. Run into a lot of people on the ship wishing they would have done the same.

Thank you carnival for letting your customers have this option!

I always just strap a case to the top of my pull around suitcase. Sometimes they check every bottle but that's fine, I'm not one of those alcoholics that try to smuggle. The funniest thing is when other people standing in line try to tell me or the people they're with I'm not allowed to do that! Some people know it all but it's their first cruise!:D

Can I bring bottled water and soda back on board on a port day? We are stopping in Key West and I will need to grab some for our Grand Cayman day. I will have already brought my allowed amount on during embarkation.

Yes you can, I do it on every cruise. I have to have my Pepsi, not a coke drinker.

My husband bought a cheap wheeled soft sided ice cooler. It held the cokes and bottle of wine. After the cruise it folded up inside our regular luggage. Or it could be used to store souveniors etc... They did inspect the bottles...

Today, coolers are limited to 12" X 12" X 12"