Bear cam

geocruiser

WOW, thanks for the link..\ I saw a bear sitting at the falls by the bank the other day. Just sat a caught fish. Maybe it was Otis.

With Holly, I thought on of the cubs was not hers because of the different is size between the two cubs.

Thanks

It is awesome that she has adopted the cub. BTW if you scroll down under the webcam and read the comments posted by the regulars, you'll a lot about the bears and their habits.

Here's a link to the Katmai blog.

http://www.nps.gov/katm/blogs/Katmai-Terrane-Blog.htm

Definitely read the entry about getting the snare off Divot's neck. Poor thing! And watch the video too. It is fascinating. Divot and her cub have been seen recently, so the intervention worked, apparently. At least until now, and she has a much better chance.

This year the Rangers have been doing live chats using one of the Brooks cams. Those are later posted on youtube. If you search Katmai Ranger Chat on youtube, you will get a bunch to watch.

About the bear with very blonde ears, I know the one you mean -- they are like yellow lamps on the top of her head, right? Some part of me thinks it might be Grazer, but I try to NOT pay too much attention to the bears' names. So I could easily be wrong about that name.

Yes, one of the bears with light ears. She's the one with the cubs down at the lower river right now. All the bears have numbers, and most are identified by their number, but quite a few have been christened with names now! Everyones' favourite is Otis, who sits "in his office" at the edge of the falls all day, lazily catching fish right there.

Here's a link to help identify/ http://www.nps.gov/katm/photosmultimedia/upload/Bears-of-Brooks-River_web.pdf

Thanks for the link, Lizzie.

It's terrific. :)

These are amazing links! There are bears at both right now. One is currently having a nice feast. Thank you for posting these!

I was just watching momma bear and the two cubs walking along. Wonderful web cam. Love it.

Ooops,

:o I thought they could have been mating. :D Is this mating season for bears in Alaska?

Mating Season for the Brown Bears at Katmai is late spring and into the early Summer.

What you all saw today is a rarity in the "normal" bear world. 2 totally unrelated male bears (they are known as BackPack and Chunk) play fighting. What was even more rare was to see them both playing with a 3rd male bear (unknown name or number)

The really rare events today are, as I stated above 3 male bears playing together,

Holly is a mature adult female who gave birth to at least 2 cubs in either late January or early February 2014. 1 cub survives to this date (Sept 5 2014) at Katmai National Park and Preserve.

Earlier this late spring/early summer or some unknown reason, Brooke Bear # 409, another Mature Adult Female Bear kicked her surviving Yearling cub born in either late January or early February 2013 from her side and literally abandoned him to fend for himself.

What makes this story so unusal and rare in the bear world is that 409's yearling has been adopted by Holly and while many of the experts were doubtful that we would see them late summer or early fall together, we were all so relieved and happy to not only see the 3 together, but that all 3 are so healthy:) Please watch this video and know that this is something we, the normal public do NOT get to see!!

It is all thanks to Charlie Annenberg and the Annenberg Foundation and the world they have made possible via Explore(INSERT DOT HERE) org to see live miracles happen:)

Alaska is a place of miracles, and I am so pleased, no I am ECSTATIC to be returning next May on another DAM ship:)

Joanie

In July one night I watched 11 bears all catching the jumping salmon at Brooks falls. That was GREAT gear watching.

So, everyone remember to watch next July if you want to see lots of bears.

Helen

Hi

My favorite is TED. He is a suoer star. But we have yet to see him.. He usually comes back to falls in September. Can't wait to see him

Mary

Mary' date=' Ted was sighted and confirmed to be at both Lower River (play fighting with both Backpack and Chunk,) yesterday afternoon, and at Brooks Falls last evening.

This morning even my Favorite bear, Ugly is back:) All we need now is Patches to relieve our minds:)

Joanie[/b']

Edited by IRL_Joanie

Mary, Ted was sighted and confirmed to be at both Lower River (play fighting with both Backpack and Chunk,) yesterday afternoon, and at Brooks Falls last evening.

This morning even my Favorite bear, Ugly is back:) All we need now is Patches to relieve our minds:)

Joanie

Actually - no. It was later confirmed it was not Ted but another bear with a similar scar. Ted has yet to put in an appearance.

I love the relationship that the bears have with the gulls. They live very good with each other. The gulls hang around wait for the bear to finish eating the fish and then they go for the left overs!!

I've been noticing the same thing. The bears pay them no notice. :)

Nature at its best.

I love the relationship that the bears have with the gulls. They live very good with each other. The gulls hang around wait for the bear to finish eating the fish and then they go for the left overs!!

I was chuckling today watching Lurch work his way down the river catching fish after fish, and two seagulls just bobbing along behind him picking up the leftovers. Those gulls know where the best place is to be!:D

I was just looking at the lower river cam and seems a bear is down. (s)he is just lying in the brush and I can't tell if it is moving. They zoomed the camera a bit so rangers must be aware of it.

The rangers don't operate the cams, there are volunteer cam ops -- not based in Katmai. Have overheard some radio conversations between some of the rangers, and they are in constant communication about where the bears are. But it is up to the cam ops to find and track the bears, on their own. This year's cam ops have been doing amazing work.

If you missed yesterday's impromptu Ranger live chat, you didn't see bear 410 (aka Four Ton) on the beach, looking comatose. She slept for a long long time (just hauling all that weight around must be exhausting), and finally awoke to haul herself back into the water to fish some more.

The rangers don't operate the cams, there are volunteer cam ops -- not based in Katmai. Have overheard some radio conversations between some of the rangers, and they are in constant communication about where the bears are. But it is up to the cam ops to find and track the bears, on their own. This year's cam ops have been doing amazing work.

If you missed yesterday's impromptu Ranger live chat, you didn't see bear 410 (aka Four Ton) on the beach, looking comatose. She slept for a long long time (just hauling all that weight around must be exhausting), and finally awoke to haul herself back into the water to fish some more.

I actually heard some of the Ranger chat yesterday but had to leave before it ended.