Bear cam

geocruiser

Two things.

The first one is I would like to thank Host Walt for letting us have this OT thread on the HAL board.

Second.

Does any know if the rangers have their Bios on the parks web site. I would just like to know abut their back ground and what lead them to Alaska.

Ranger Roy was just on Disqus ..... go into the basement a ways, he discusses his education and past work a bit.

Here is a bit of a bio from Ranger Mike

http://blog.explore.org/behind-the-cams-ranger-michael-fitz-at-the-katmai-national-park-bear-cam/

I'm pretty sure I've seen similar on Ranger Roy. Will look :D

Here's a link to some info on an award Ranger Roy got last year for his work with Explore and the cams

http://www.nps.gov/katm/parknews/roy-wood-is-the-2013-alaska-region-freeman-tilden-award-recipient.htm

There is a bit about Ranger Roy here. Scroll down to "Meet our Ranger"

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/27/travel/summer-park-katmai/

Edited by CowPrincess

Holly is wonderful Mom.

Thanks for sharing the link. It was great to watch. :)

I already miss the Osprey web cam and will be sorry when the bears hibernate. It's been so much fun watching them.

Live Cam Alert: Live Chat TODAY!

Today at 4 pm AK (5pm PT / 8pm ET), join Ranger Mike and bear monitor Leslie Skora for a live Q&A about Katmai's bears. Submit your questions in the comments section of the Lower River Bear Cam.

- See more at: http://explore.org/live-cams/player/brown-bear-salmon-cam-brooks-falls#sthash.cdsHttbz.dpuf

Taken form their web site.

• 9 months later...
Hi

Its gets better. the two bears there now names

797 & backpack.. wait until July last year I think there were 15 bears maybe more .there

Mary

I have been hoping that the bear named Holly with her two cubs will show up. Last year she had one cub and the adopted a stray cub.

I have been hoping that the bear named Holly with her two cubs will show up. Last year she had one cub and the adopted a stray cub.

She and the cubs have been all along the Lower River for a couple of weeks now:)

Here are a few snaps of SUPERMOM Holly, aka Bear #435 with her Adopted Son Bear #503 and her Biological daughter starting around IIRC 15 June 2015, the 3rd one is a snap shot I took of them wandering the Lower River near the Bridge yesterday.

SUPERMOM-with-cubs-3.jpg.8b52b8d22ce8f19205ee5be418505d02.jpg

Joanie

Holly-435-cubs-By_Kara-Stenberg_June-15-2015.jpg.a6d56621435f8d894097fe72f9bcea43.jpg

Holly-cubs_photo-by_Tisa_Hunnewell.jpg.d7b36254e9dc5528c044558779ae5e49.jpg

Holly-with-cubs-2015.jpg.154f94098b3aebac823015137a268814.jpg

Edited by IRL_Joanie

She and the cubs have been all along the Lower River for a couple of weeks now:)

Here are a few snaps of SUPERMOM Holly, aka Bear #435 with her Adopted Son Bear #503 and her Biological daughter starting around IIRC 15 June 2015, the 3rd one is a snap shot I took of them wandering the Lower River near the Bridge yesterday.

[ATTACH]353906[/ATTACH][ATTACH]353907[/ATTACH][ATTACH]353908[/ATTACH][ATTACH]353909[/ATTACH]

Joanie

Thanks Joanie. The second year old cub is getting BIG! Nice to see Holly kept her adopted son through the winter and into this season.

Thanks for bringing this thread forward.. I've been stuck in the house for several weeks & getting bored..

DH & I have been watching the WEB cam for over an hour.. It's addictive.. :)

This made my day..:):)

Edited by serendipity1499

[ATTACH]353906[/ATTACH][ATTACH]353907[/ATTACH][ATTACH]353908[/ATTACH][ATTACH]353909[/ATTACH]

Joanie

Great pics Joanie.. Thanks for posting them:)

Great pics Joanie.. Thanks for posting them:)

You are quite welcome:) Only the 3rd one is mine. The others are by photographers with Brooks Lodge, right there at Katmai. Their photos are posted to Brooks Lodge's Facebook and they ask that we share them with the world:)

Check out the other 3 web cams there for totally different views and perspectives such as the Underwater Cam aka River Watch, The peacefulness of Dumpling Mountain and the Lower River:)

Joanie

Thanks for bringing this thread forward.. I've been stuck in the house for several weeks & getting bored..

DH & I have been watching the WEB cam for over an hour.. It's addictive.. :)

This made my day..:):)

It is definitely addictive. I have been watching these bearcams for several years now, and I mean to just take a couple of minutes to catch up and I am still glued an hour later, and more.:o