Bear cam

geocruiser

I missed her actually making it to the water. The phone rang and I had to take the call :( So I only saw her hoisting herself up but no forward motion.

Am still trying to convince myself that I can get on the little plane for a trip to Katmai, with a 7 day cruise up, a couple of days in Katmai, and then a 7 day cruise south.....

I was just looking at the lower river cam and seems a bear is down. (s)he is just lying in the brush and I can't tell if it is moving. They zoomed the camera a bit so rangers must be aware of it.

Sail, that would be bear #410. She is one of, if not the oldest and heaviest female bears at Katmai. She is also the most dominant female, but very relaxed and does not get upset if other bears get to near, though she does like her space, she is just more tolerant. She will eat until she can eat no more, then make herself a belly hole, literally a hole they dig so that they can lie flaton their tummies and not put weight on their belly. When she gets hot, she gets up, stands in the water til she cools down and then go back to sleep.

410, according to the Rangers, just LOVES to sleep under the Lower River Viewing Stand where the Lower River Web Cams are mounted. She will sleep there forever if she can. The Rangers say that when she is there the stink is....pretty bad (salmon, wet bear, etc.,)

In the next few weeks you are going to see all of the bears eating like there is no tomorrow. It is a stage that they go into in October that makes them feel as if they are literally starving. They are stuffing themselves so they can put on all the (fat) pounds they will need for 5 months of hibernating.

Joanie

The rangers don't operate the cams, there are volunteer cam ops -- not based in Katmai. Have overheard some radio conversations between some of the rangers, and they are in constant communication about where the bears are. But it is up to the cam ops to find and track the bears, on their own. This year's cam ops have been doing amazing work.

If you missed yesterday's impromptu Ranger live chat, you didn't see bear 410 (aka Four Ton) on the beach, looking comatose. She slept for a long long time (just hauling all that weight around must be exhausting), and finally awoke to haul herself back into the water to fish some more.

Ah but there you are wrong CowPrincess. The Rangers can control the Web Cams if they wish, though they are mainly managed by Explore.org and Volunteer Cam Operators.

You will know that the Rangers are in control when the view from the Cam is extremely sharp.

You will also know when they are doing a Live Chat. The chat late yesterday is just one example of the Rangers being in control of the Lower River Watch Cam.

Joanie

The rangers don't operate the cams, there are volunteer cam ops -- not based in Katmai. Have overheard some radio conversations between some of the rangers, and they are in constant communication about where the bears are. But it is up to the cam ops to find and track the bears, on their own. This year's cam ops have been doing amazing work.

If you missed yesterday's impromptu Ranger live chat, you didn't see bear 410 (aka Four Ton) on the beach, looking comatose. She slept for a long long time (just hauling all that weight around must be exhausting), and finally awoke to haul herself back into the water to fish some more.

She also tends to gorge herself on fish and then just fall asleep right where she is.:) Half in and half out of the river at times. She's one big lady bear these days.

Ah but there you are wrong CowPrincess. The Rangers can control the Web Cams if they wish, though they are mainly managed by Explore.org and Volunteer Cam Operators.

You will know that the Rangers are in control when the view from the Cam is extremely sharp.

You will also know when they are doing a Live Chat. The chat late yesterday is just one example of the Rangers being in control of the Lower River Watch Cam.

Joanie

"If they wish" is extremely seldom. They have a very busy schedule, and the cams are manned by many willing and able volunteers from their computers. The camera they use for the chats is pretty much the only time a Ranger controls it (usually Ranger Jeanne). I hope they continue the chats in this format for the rest of the season, rather than the suggestion of written question and answer format. It's the sounds that make it so interesting, especially when you realise how busy it is there, and the close proximity to the bears of the planes, buses and people.

Ohh wow.. I am changing rooms a bigger room for computer and tv. Sp I am not watching all the time. Once you start watching no work gets done. Oh I am so happy Ted is back and ok. Ohh to watch the bears

Mary Hi Bear lovers

Sorry Mary - I posted a correction after that. Ted still has not been seen, but the Rangers are not concerned about him, they figure he will turn up in the next week or so. The bear everyone thought was Ted was one of the others but with a similar scar.

Edited by Lizzie68

It is amazing to see Backpack Bear#89 and his friend (they are not related as far as the Rangers know), Chunk Bear #32, play fighting:)

Last year when first asked about it, Ranger Mike Fitz said he'd never seen it in his 7 years there nor at Yellowstone, where he was before Katmai, and had heard that it was an extremely rare occurance. Not 24 hours later, the "boys" were at it again:)

The bears of Katmai have definitely thrown Bear watchers, biologists and others for a loop with things they are doing on a near daily basis that prior to these Cams were thought never could or would happen:)

I especially liked yesterday when the day after a NPS Biologist was asked if Bear #435 aka Holly would take the male yearling cub she'd adopted earlier in the summer to the Den this year along with her COY, Cub of Year (Born this past January or February). Ranger Biologist said it was highly unlikely and that he did not feel that it was a true "adoption", because she would have to let the adopted Yearling nurse, and he did not think that would happen. Well guess what happened yesterday morning and was seen by Rangers and other Park Staff:)

Just a couple things that have happened with our bears that surprise everyone:)

Joanie

It is amazing to see Backpack Bear#89 and his friend (they are not related as far as the Rangers know), Chunk Bear #32, play fighting:)

Last year when first asked about it, Ranger Mike Fitz said he'd never seen it in his 7 years there nor at Yellowstone, where he was before Katmai, and had heard that it was an extremely rare occurance. Not 24 hours later, the "boys" were at it again:)

The bears of Katmai have definitely thrown Bear watchers, biologists and others for a loop with things they are doing on a near daily basis that prior to these Cams were thought never could or would happen:)

I especially liked yesterday when the day after a NPS Biologist was asked if Bear #435 aka Holly would take the male yearling cub she'd adopted earlier in the summer to the Den this year along with her COY, Cub of Year (Born this past January or February). Ranger Biologist said it was highly unlikely and that he did not feel that it was a true "adoption", because she would have to let the adopted Yearling nurse, and he did not think that would happen. Well guess what happened yesterday morning and was seen by Rangers and other Park Staff:)

Just a couple things that have happened with our bears that surprise everyone:)

Joanie

I was wondering how long the cubs nursed. And I did not know if Holly was nursing her adopted Yearling, she would take it to the den with her and her club. I am happy to hear that she is nursing him too.

Joanie

I don't purport to be an expert on everything so I'm completely prepared to be proven wrong on this. However, after watching the early 2014 "Bear Cam Locations" video on youtube, (

) I cannot see those cams being disassembled and then reinstalled each time there's a Ranger Chat. IIRC the Rangers used tripod mounted cams for their chats, along with an iPad. However, that's all really moot, as I was trying to explain to Sail that the Rangers don't track the bears using the web cams we watch; they track the bears through actual observation. According to some of the discussion I've seen on Disqus volunteers control the cams when the cams are not on "auto", as the rangers already have enough work to do.

It is too bad that Disqus is so unwieldy; there is a huge amount of information on there, from real Katmai and Explore experts, that is (unfortunately) virtually impossible to access.

I don't purport to be an expert on everything so I'm completely prepared to be proven wrong on this. However, after watching the early 2014 "Bear Cam Locations" video on youtube, (
) I cannot see those cams being disassembled and then reinstalled each time there's a Ranger Chat. IIRC the Rangers used tripod mounted cams for their chats, along with an iPad. However, that's all really moot, as I was trying to explain to Sail that the Rangers don't track the bears using the web cams we watch; they track the bears through actual observation. According to some of the discussion I've seen on Disqus volunteers control the cams when the cams are not on "auto", as the rangers already have enough work to do.

It is too bad that Disqus is so unwieldy; there is a huge amount of information on there, from real Katmai and Explore experts, that is (unfortunately) virtually impossible to access.

If you are able to hunt down and watch one of the earliest Chats with the Rangers, in July I believe, they talked about and showed us their new toys (toys is my word not theirs) A New Hand Held HD Mobile Cam, that they have been supplied by Explore.com which also has iPads, Parabolic sound thing a ma jig (not sure what they are called) But they are like an inverted Bowl with a speaker inside, nice microphones that attach to their collars or... etc.

Yesterday they used the Lower River Watch Cam, which up until about 2 minutes before the Chat had been viewing LIVE the Salmon and other Fish from underneath the Pedestrian Bridge.

They do not have to do anything but unplug or whatever you wish to call it, the main cam that is in use and plug in the Mobile Cam, therefore making All of the cams controllable by the Rangers.

As for Discus, I whole heartedly agree that it can be extremely unwieldy and/or unusable for some.

I do not have the url (Link) right off the top of my head, but there is a Katmai Wiki Page or Pages that Ranger Woods has set up with what he calls "Citizen Scientist" info so that what we, the cam viewing public can show and describe. I do not know how easy that is to navigate as I've only been there a couple of times and little was there in the beginning. I do understand from fellow chatters that it is growing by leaps and bounds.

Joanie

IRL_Joanie, apparently I am not explaining myself clearly enough.

Sail, if you are watching the cams now, you will see one of the reasons I am so uncertain about getting into that little plane (strong wind :eek: ). And the other thing is, once I am AT Katmai (if I can make the trip there) will I be able to get BACK on the plane to get back to Anchorage? Or will I have to walk? :eek: :D

CowPrincess, if you go to the Lower River Bear Cam right now you will see the view from Ranger Roy's Cabin with the Mobile Cam I mentioned. As I said this is from the Lower River Cam, but in actuality is a Mobile Cam linked into it. Here is a snap shot I just took today at 3:46pm AKDT.

view-from-Mobile-Web_Cam_9-11-2014_346pm_AKDT.jpg.957fd2148560848f5a4866ae30a94801.jpg

Joanie

It is amazing how many CC regulars have been watching the cams since their inception, or for years, like myself. And how much knowledge we have gained about the bears (sometimes not always good or palatable:().

You are so right! That is one of the reasons I posted a warning earlier in this thread, about nature being nature.

I am booked on a cruise next May back to Alaska. But am feeling the need to go to Katmai..... like my soul is being called there, somehow.

If DH would return to Alaska, it'd be a piece of cake. He would force me onto the plane. We could do a 7-day northbound, head to Katmai, spend time in Anchorage and do a 7-day southbound. He won't go back to Alaska, I am fairly sure. But to me, cruising up and back would be perfect. A little luxury pre-Brooks, and more luxury post-Brooks, y'know?

Sigh...

You are so right! That is one of the reasons I posted a warning earlier in this thread, about nature being nature.

I am booked on a cruise next May back to Alaska. But am feeling the need to go to Katmai..... like my soul is being called there, somehow.

If DH would return to Alaska, it'd be a piece of cake. He would force me onto the plane. We could do a 7-day northbound, head to Katmai, spend time in Anchorage and do a 7-day southbound. He won't go back to Alaska, I am fairly sure. But to me, cruising up and back would be perfect. A little luxury pre-Brooks, and more luxury post-Brooks, y'know?

Sigh...

I hear you, and I have a hankering to go too (Mocha was just there) and it is easier for me being so close.

Thanks for mentioning a cruise - otherwise I think this thread would be sent to the Floataway Lounge for not being cruise-related.;)

I hear you, and I have a hankering to go too (Mocha was just there) and it is easier for me being so close.

Thanks for mentioning a cruise - otherwise I think this thread would be sent to the Floataway Lounge for not being cruise-related.;)

Email me at nakitathedog AT yahoo DOT ca if you are serious about that and would consider sharing with someone who is fairly independent, but MAY have to be duct-taped into the plane seat :D :eek: I would need my own cabin, though, so I'm not any kind of cost-saving :D

Email me at nakitathedog AT yahoo DOT ca if you are serious about that and would consider sharing with someone who is fairly independent, but MAY have to be duct-taped into the plane seat :D :eek: I would need my own cabin, though, so I'm not any kind of cost-saving :D

Not a problem! Email sent.:D There are a couple of others on the bearcams who would be happy to join us too, that I have been in contact with. Will share email addies with you.

IRL_Joanie, apparently I am not explaining myself clearly enough.

Sail, if you are watching the cams now, you will see one of the reasons I am so uncertain about getting into that little plane (strong wind :eek: ). And the other thing is, once I am AT Katmai (if I can make the trip there) will I be able to get BACK on the plane to get back to Anchorage? Or will I have to walk? :eek: :D

You are braver than me........

You are at least considering getting onto those planes. I wouldn't even give it serious thought. :D :eek: Much as I'd love to go there, I won't be on that plane. :(

For those who expressed interest in the abandoned/adopted yearling, here is the whole story from Ranger Mike as posted today.

http://www.nps.gov/katm/blogs/Abandoned-Cub-Finds-a-New-Mother.htm

complete with photos.

Great info from Ranger Mike. Thanks for posting it. It would be great if HAL had a shore excursion to the river. Who knows, maybe some day!!

For those who expressed interest in the abandoned/adopted yearling, here is the whole story from Ranger Mike as posted today.

http://www.nps.gov/katm/blogs/Abandoned-Cub-Finds-a-New-Mother.htm

complete with photos.

Thanks for posting the link.

What a wonderful story.