Yellow Fever certificate

Mrs.C05

I received an email from Carnival about needing to get the vaccination for Yellow Fever, or a certificate showing we've had it done, since we're visiting Barbados in April 2015.

We've been to Barbados before and don't recall having to do this. Since we're arriving via cruise ship, and only staying a few hours, is it really necessary to do this? Will their be guards/people checking the passengers as they get off?

This is the letter I received:

Yellow Fever Cert. Letter.pdf

Your letter states that the certificate is required ONLY if you are from one of the areas infected with yellow fever, or if you have spent more than 12 hours in an airport of one of those infected areas.

Assuming neither of those caveats applies to you, then you can disregard the letter, as it states.

I received an email from Carnival about needing to get the vaccination for Yellow Fever, or a certificate showing we've had it done, since we're visiting Barbados in April 2015.

We've been to Barbados before and don't recall having to do this. Since we're arriving via cruise ship, and only staying a few hours, is it really necessary to do this? Will their be guards/people checking the passengers as they get off?

This is the letter I received:

We got that letter last year when we went to Barbados on the Valor.

This is the key part of the letter:

"Barbados only requires a

vaccination if the traveler is from areas infected with yellow fever, areas where yellow fever transmission

has occurred (endemic areas), and for travelers having transited more than 12 hours through the airport of

a country with risk of yellow fever transmission. If this does not apply to you, a yellow fever vaccine is not

necessary."

You are not coming from an area infected with yellow fever so don't need a vaccination.

To reiterate what other posters have said, here is the CDC's statement on yellow fever vax for cruisers to Barbados:

"There is no risk of yellow fever in Barbados. The government of Barbados requires proof of yellow fever vaccination only if you are arriving from a country with risk of yellow fever. This does not include the US. "

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/cruise_ship/barbados

I didn't think so but mosquito's are horrible here in FL so I don't know if one has Yellow Fever or not. I promise I'm not this dumb, lol!!! Ok, thanks ya'll.

Not dumb at all. We were on Valor in May 2013 (Southern itinerary out of San Juan, with a stop in Barbados) and there was a huge discussion about it on our roll call. We did not get one, but many others did. You should not have to worry and we were never even asked about it when we checked in to get on Valor in San Juan. From our roll call, someone posted recommendations from their travel agent that they contacted about the letter and they were: 1. Use passport, it will be proof that we were never in any of the areas affected and 2. Keep plane ticket stubs handy (to show that we were not in an airport in an affected area for 12 hours or longer), just in case we would be asked. We contacted our agent and she told us the same thing. She also said that this started about two years ago now (was a year in 2013) and those reminders are normally sent to cruisers who live outside the United States, but many "errant" letters get sent to US residents.

I didn't think so but mosquito's are horrible here in FL so I don't know if one has Yellow Fever or not. I promise I'm not this dumb, lol!!! Ok, thanks ya'll.

There is no y-fever risk in the united states. You would know if you had been to a y-fever area because you can't get into that country (legally) without proof of the vaccination.

You're fine. Happy sailing.

You would know if you had been to a y-fever area because you can't get into that country (legally) without proof of the vaccination.

Not necessarily.

I have been to countries in Africa with yellow fever and recently got off a cruise that stopped in Columbia. Always been given a 'you really should get the jab' letter or advice by someone but I could have ignored it and got into the countries regardless.

I was not asked to show my yellow fever certificate in any of the above places. I also was not asked in Costa Rica which has no yellow fever but has a similar policy to Barbados.

Edited by Velvetwater

wow, we didn't get one when we were on the Victory in 2012.. :( well dang, they wanted me to get sick!!.. hahaha.. j/k. :D

actually I fell asleep as the beach and got a wicked sunburn lol. that was my worst from Barbados lol