Celebrity century...thanks for the memories!

WINEMANVISALIA

Celebrity Says Goodbye to Century Cruise Ship

Posted on September 3, 2014 by Jim Walker

Multiple sources are reporting that Royal Caribbean entered into an agreement to sell the Celebrity Century cruise ship to a Chinese cruise company.

The company buying the Century is identified as Exquisite Marine Ltd., a holding company controlled by Ctrip International Ltd.

Royal Caribbean says that the Century will "complete its scheduled sailings through the March 22, 2015, itinerary. The 15-night, Dubai to Rome sailing on April 5, 2015 is being redeployed to a 14-night sailing from Dubai to Singapore. Guests with affected individual bookings and named group bookings Celebrity Centuryon Celebrity Century's April 5, 2015 sailing from Dubai to Rome have the option to either cancel their booking and receive a full refund or move to an alternative sailing and receive a re-accommodation onboard credit as well as compensation to cover air change fees. Guests with reservations affected by the transition will be proactively contacted by Celebrity Cruises. Guests and Travel Agents with specific questions are welcome to call 1-888-283-7275."

The Century joined the Celebrity fleet in December 1995.

On of my first cases against a cruise line involved the Century. An elderly woman fell on a worn-out, slippery deck, breaking her hip.

It was a different era back then. The Century was a 70,00-ton ship carrying only 1,800 guests with 860 crew. We will see more and more cruise ships of this vintage appear in the Chinese and European markets as Royal Caribbean brings its monster ships on line.

WE LOVED WATCHING THE WAVES ON THIS SHIP!...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2hNaG6AaP4

Celebrity Cruise Line's Century...WAVE WATCHING...

Took repositioning cruise from San Diego to Vancouver BC May 5, 2012...Hit some waves off the North Coast of California...Great fun!

The Celebrity Century will always have a special place in my heart, but not for the reasons most would think.

I know many of the officers on Celebrity felt doing your stint on Century was a rite of passage.

I did love the grandeur of its wooden decks, it was more luxury liner than a cruise ship, but it also has some great other memories for me.

I had booked the Century back in mid 1995, and had planned on it being a true booze cruise. About a year and a half before I was on the Cunard Countess, and still remember my bar tab was about $700 (and the cruise itself was $699 per person), so had planned on this trip on Century would be a repeat of that one.

Then Sobriety got in the way ;)

I think about late 1995 I finally had my first taste of sobriety in 20 years and decided it was the right path for me, but the cruise was already booked (non refundable) , what should I do? I talked to friends in the AA program, and many of them suggested I go, some said I shouldn't chance it. I decided to go. I think by the time I left I was only sober a few months, so I know it was risky.

The first day ,I don't think I left my room much, but the second day I made it to the AA meetings onboard. The people at those daily meetings helped me more than they would ever know. They watched out for me onboard and in port, gave me an encouraging word right when I felt I really needed it, and got me through that first critical period. The crew onboard that I shared my 'secret' with also helped me in every way possible. I still remember thinking to myself once I got onboard that I COULD drink, because no one here knows me, and I'll just start sobriety once I get home.

So glad I didn't listen to myself, and instead did what I knew needed to be done. and thank goodness for those anonymous strangers and ships crew that saved me from myself.

Now hear it is, almost two decades later, and having to say goodbye to a ship that has and will always have great memories for me. I'll miss the Century, but I'll always have its memories.

The Celebrity Century will always have a special place in my heart, but not for the reasons most would think.

I know many of the officers on Celebrity felt doing your stint on Century was a rite of passage.

I did love the grandeur of its wooden decks, it was more luxury liner than a cruise ship, but it also has some great other memories for me.

I had booked the Century back in mid 1995, and had planned on it being a true booze cruise. About a year and a half before I was on the Cunard Countess, and still remember my bar tab was about $700 (and the cruise itself was $699 per person), so had planned on this trip on Century would be a repeat of that one.

Then Sobriety got in the way ;)

I think about late 1995 I finally had my first taste of sobriety in 20 years and decided it was the right path for me, but the cruise was already booked (non refundable) , what should I do? I talked to friends in the AA program, and many of them suggested I go, some said I shouldn't chance it. I decided to go. I think by the time I left I was only sober a few months, so I know it was risky.

The first day ,I don't think I left my room much, but the second day I made it to the AA meetings onboard. The people at those daily meetings helped me more than they would ever know. They watched out for me onboard and in port, gave me an encouraging word right when I felt I really needed it, and got me through that first critical period. The crew onboard that I shared my 'secret' with also helped me in every way possible. I still remember thinking to myself once I got onboard that I COULD drink, because no one here knows me, and I'll just start sobriety once I get home.

So glad I didn't listen to myself, and instead did what I knew needed to be done. and thank goodness for those anonymous strangers and ships crew that saved me from myself.

Now hear it is, almost two decades later, and having to say goodbye to a ship that has and will always have great memories for me. I'll miss the Century, but I'll always have its memories.

That is just a wonderful and uplifting story! Thanks for making my day.