6 months later I'm still haunted by it!

flahagan

Whoops, I didn't mean to let the hornet out of it's nest, if you get what I mean.

I just know that, for us, MSC will now be our preference for sailing the Caribbean in the future. Otherwise, I will just constantly be comparing everything - "Entertainment was so much better on the Divina", "Divina was so much more stunning", "Drinks were so much better on the Divina", "Felt like I was truly away when we were on Divina".

I'm already mentally doing it for our next cruise. Unfortunately, the Divina will not be here next summer and we are limited to 2 specific weeks in July to do a grandparent trip with 3 of our grandchildren. We began these "grandparent" trips 7 years ago in an attempt to expose our grandchildren to different cultures. First trip was done that March when we took our 2 eldest grandsons to Paris and Rome. Next was the eldest granddaughter whom we took to London a few Februarys later. Next in line was a grandson with chef aspirations so we took him on a 10-day southern Carib. cruise on HAL, complete with cooking classes, during his spring break.

Four years have passed and we now have 3 grandchildren who are at the "mandatory for us" age of 15 to 17, but for various reasons we are limited to mid-July next year. Can't afford high-season Europe trips, so to me the next best thing would have been sailing on the Divina. They could have been exposed to so many different languages, listened to some "classical" music, and met people from all over the world. I know they would have loved and benefited from the trip.

So as a substitute, we've booked the Carnival Breeze 8-day - at least they'll get to practice their Spanish in San Juan! Can barely afford two cabins on THAT in mid-July.

Divina, PLEASE come back!!! Oh, as an aside, we will still have one grandchild to take somewhere, but she's only 10 now. Hopefully, we'll still be upright when it's her turn!

What is this? An anti-American thread?

What is a Pom?

Oh No we don't mean that at all........I was just having fun with a fellow Aussie............Pommie is because when English people came to Australia they got burned and looked the color or Pommegrante's ....well that's according to my hubby...........he could be totally pulling my leg...........I thought it was to do with being a prisoner of Mother England.......see we have no idea..............

All we do know is life is a gift and we want to have a good ride and treat those we meet with respect

Ha ha well my American heritage are the non whiney ones. Which there are plenty.....just not on the Divina it would seem.

I can just imagine the Divina Down Under and what the reviews would be like. They would be vastly different and far more positively focused.

Some people just need to lose their sense of entitlement and make the most of life. Perhaps some folks could really learn to adopt the "no worries" and "she'll be right" approach that us Aussies do so well.

Exactly..............life is way too short to be bothered with the small stuff........

Oh No we don't mean that at all........I was just having fun with a fellow Aussie............Pommie is because when English people came to Australia they got burned and looked the color or Pommegrante's ....well that's according to my hubby...........he could be totally pulling my leg...........I thought it was to do with being a prisoner of Mother England.......see we have no idea..............

All we do know is life is a gift and we want to have a good ride and treat those we meet with respect

Someone told me the Pom, goes back to transportation of comics and stands for Prisoner of Mother England. So,done in Elizabeth told me that on my first visit. Either way we are all agreed it means someone English.

I agree, some people need to not look for the negative and enjoy the cruise. My wife and I did the E. Caribbean on the Celebrity Reflection in April and it was same thing I read people complaining about this or that before we went. We LOVED our time on board and felt it was an amazing cruise. That said there were a few things I could have complained about but why that's not the point. Now in 17 days we will do the W. Caribbean on the Divina and cant wait!!!!! For the price, $1500 less then our Celebrity cruise, Im already sure that I will love our time on board. The photos Ive seen of the ship are stunning and the Reflection was beautiful but the Divina just seems steps above.

Whoops, I didn't mean to let the hornet out of it's nest, if you get what I mean.

I just know that, for us, MSC will now be our preference for sailing the Caribbean in the future. Otherwise, I will just constantly be comparing everything - "Entertainment was so much better on the Divina", "Divina was so much more stunning", "Drinks were so much better on the Divina", "Felt like I was truly away when we were on Divina".

I have had my issues with MSC but I can't imagine getting any better value for money elsewhere. Each time I consider trying out another cruise line I go to the forum and read the posts regarding the particular ship I'm looking at. The same issues seem to crop up there, too. And the loyalty programme and drinks packages are second to none so I've yet to be convinced to try something else. At least I know when I'm booking what I'm going to get and, having just got home from my 3rd cruise this year, if you ask what I think of MSC, that fact alone should be answer enough.

I was also on the March 22 cruise on the Divina, and in all of my cruises (30+), I have NEVER had such an amazing experience! Granted, we were in the Yacht Club, but we were so impressed by the entire ship, staff, captain, and fellow international guests, we promptly booked two more cruises on the Divina, one of them for next week! Cannot wait!

I was also on the March 22 cruise on the Divina, and in all of my cruises (30+), I have NEVER had such an amazing experience! Granted, we were in the Yacht Club, but we were so impressed by the entire ship, staff, captain, and fellow international guests, we promptly booked two more cruises on the Divina, one of them for next week! Cannot wait!

Lucky you - have a fabulous trip! Our daughter and her husband are on her right now, can't wait to hear what they have to say.

Sounds exactly like us Kathiean. Our first sailing in the Yacht Club aboard Divina was back in May, and since then, we were hooked!!! Since that sailing back in May, we've sailed just this past August and have 4 more sailings booked for 2015. We love Divina for the very same reasons you stated, but the Yacht Club elevates the experience to a whole new level for us!!!:D

Edited by Mikesa1721

It is nice to read such posts at this to reassure any doubts I have regarding my upcoming back to back cruise in December. The amount of negative reviews is amazing although after much reading I think I can some up the two types of reviewers.

Firstly there seems to be the haters. The ones that want your typcal American cruise experience. Fast food service, drunken karaoke, and expect to be waited on hand and foot. Pity the poor people that cannot get someone to fetch them a drink when there is only 20 odd bars on the ship. Walk you lazy bums. The haters tend to be high maintenance and very precious. " I paid good money for this cruise and I expect service" blah blah blah.

Then we have the lovers. Those who like to stop and smell the roses in life. Those who are laid back and care free and don't think that they need to be waited on like royalty to have a good time.

I am really over the whinging whiny Americans. They make the Poms look relaxed (no offence to my Pommy mates). Quit your complaining and maybe the rest of the world may start to hold the Yanks in a much higher regard (and by the way I am half American).

Thanks for your post

Very nicely said (and I am an American). I fall under the stop and smell the roses. I love the laid back feel of a cruise, I can get my own drinks, and I really don't like being constantly bombarded to buy something. I have been reading the reviews and it is so interesting seeing the different opinions people have. I tend to ignore the - OMG it was the most awful experience of my life and the opposite of it being so completely perfect that nothing could go wrong. I read all the ones that fall in the middle.

No cruise is completely perfect, they are what we make of them. You first need to go in with the proper perspective. I have had little things go wrong on every sailing I have been on, but I didn't let them bother me - don't sweat the small stuff. To other issues that I have had to complain - for instance NCL lost a $1000 OBC I had put on my account and it took them 4 days into our 7 day sailing to get it fixed. My first cruise on NCL even with the complete and horrible mix up I have sailed them 2 more times.

Though the closest to perfect of any cruise was our 14 day TA on the Disney Magic. Loved the food, the shows, low amount of kids, only issue we had on the entire sailing was boarding with Florida having a lovebug issue and the outside areas were closed off until the ship left port.

It's fun to read in the same thread:

"MSC, don't water down your ships for the US market, stay the course and we "ugly Americans" will come to appreciate a more classical experience at sea"

and the opposite:

"The Divina has been adapted for the North American market "

On our cruise on the Divina, however, we did not see neither "classical experience at sea" nor anything "Americanized" since Divina's Med cruises.

It's hard to see somthing if you are not on board :p

Calling someone a “Hater” because they feel the trip did not measure up to their expectations or their experience is quite radical.

I just came off a Divina cruise, and I had a wonderful time, yet, the shortfalls were glaring and I’ll be writing about that.

Hopefully the “Yacht Club” / “MSC can do no wrong” crowd will accept the criticism and not try to defend MSC. If you attack me, then you are the “HATERS”

I agree, some people need to not look for the negative and enjoy the cruise. My wife and I did the E. Caribbean on the Celebrity Reflection in April and it was same thing I read people complaining about this or that before we went. We LOVED our time on board and felt it was an amazing cruise. That said there were a few things I could have complained about but why that's not the point. Now in 17 days we will do the W. Caribbean on the Divina and cant wait!!!!! For the price, $1500 less then our Celebrity cruise, Im already sure that I will love our time on board. The photos Ive seen of the ship are stunning and the Reflection was beautiful but the Divina just seems steps above.

$1500.! That's a way to start your cruise with a smile!:D

Calling someone a “Hater” because they feel the trip did not measure up to their expectations or their experience is quite radical.

I just came off a Divina cruise, and I had a wonderful time, yet, the shortfalls were glaring and I’ll be writing about that.

Hopefully the “Yacht Club” / “MSC can do no wrong” crowd will accept the criticism and not try to defend MSC. If you attack me, then you are the “HATERS”

Expectations by some have been absolutely ridiculous with the sales on Divina cabins this year!

The reason they are called 'haters' is because their reviews are not balanced, stating the positive and negative!

Who has a cruise that's 100% negative, the answer is a negative person, or someone with an ax to grind!:eek:

They continuously troll on these Divina threads in an attempt to continue their negativity! They never post on the cruise forums of their favorite lines, they stay here in negativity!:eek:

Every cruise line has them!

The fact is we all want, desire different things in our cruise experience, its understandable that some will prefer one cruise line over another! That's why there are so many different types of cruise lines offering different products for different prices!

And that all can be debated here!

Look forward to your review!:)

Continued happy cruising!:D

I read your review and thought it was good, you cited your experiences and expectations were realistic. carnival has more action and more home styled food I get it. Most of my MSC cruises have been port intensive so I have not missed the action.

I remember your review that came out just a few weeks before my sailing on the MSC Divina in April. We mostly had the same impressions as you in regards to the service, food, entertainment, and the DISTINCTLY European flair. I don't mean this in any anti American way, but it is a true delight to sail on a line that is not specifically tailored to the North American market. What I did notice that was different from my sailing on MSC Opera in 2005 was that back then the whole dining room operation was Italian crewed. Now most of the waitstaff are Filipino or Indonesian. There used to be a Galla Buffet on deck most nights, and sadly that is missing now. Another refreshing change from recent cruises to MSC were my interactions with ships Officers. On many mass market lines the Officers seem less and less approachable. On my cruise on the MSC Divina all the Italian Officers who I spoke with were friendly, engaging, and seemed genuinely interested that all was Molte Bene.

• 3 weeks later...

I enjoyed "the 6 months and I am still haunted" blog. Hopefully, I will have the same experience. However, some of the responses have been rather biased. I have cruised many times on the "other" Italian cruise line, Costa, and have had fantastic dining experiences aboard them. I have cruised at all levels in most cruise lines, and I will state again, as I have stated on other threads, that I have never seen so many threads about MSC Divina that make reference to poor food preferences. This is not an "American" thing, this is just being practical. I have never seen anywhere in print that MSC is addressing this perception. If it is a perception, it is a prevelent perception, and where I come from, perception is reality. I do not expect a Zagat kitchen on every cruise, but I do expect good food service. I am certain that I will be able to find something that I like at every sitting, but I shouldn't have to search for it. Costa never failed to satisfy, nor did NCL, Princess, Celebrity, NCL, Seaborne, Crystal, Regent or Raddison. I shouldn't have to prepare myself to expect less, and be pleased that my experience was better than expected. Where does MSC fit in this plan. What is their perception of the food service that they offer? I have never experienced MSC and I'm eagerly awaiting my TA cruise. Albeit with low expectations relative to the food. Which puzzles me, because of my experiences on the other Italian line, Costa.

So you see, it isn't my nationality that drives me, its my experiences. I am first generation Italian/American and know what experiences of have had in the US, Europe and Australia. I don't want to be accused of being a whiny American because I have an opinion. Opinions are based on experiences, and I've had a few.

Thank you for your comments.

Ciao,

Alberto

Just booked it for the October 25th sailing! Can't wait!

Will be anxious to hear your thoughts. We're sailing Nov. 3 on a short 5-nt Ruby Princess cruise. Once again, we couldn't pass up the deal ($199 pp and $200 pp OBC, inside), but I'm already thinking "I wish I could see those Divina shows again." I'm hoping to go with an open mind, although I've sailed Princess before and their cabins and bathrooms are TINY. But the public areas are lovely and we've never sailed the Ruby so we're looking forward to it. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm hoping MSC will be offering some deals for the first part of January, as we have friends from up north coming down and wanting to do a cruise with us. The Divina would definitely be our first choice, hands down. Keeping an eye out for prices!

Will be anxious to hear your thoughts. We're sailing Nov. 3 on a short 5-nt Ruby Princess cruise. Once again, we couldn't pass up the deal ($199 pp and $200 pp OBC, inside), but I'm already thinking "I wish I could see those Divina shows again." I'm hoping to go with an open mind, although I've sailed Princess before and their cabins and bathrooms are TINY. But the public areas are lovely and we've never sailed the Ruby so we're looking forward to it. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm hoping MSC will be offering some deals for the first part of January, as we have friends from up north coming down and wanting to do a cruise with us. The Divina would definitely be our first choice, hands down. Keeping an eye out for prices!

Flahagan,,,check out the 3 day sailing on the 11th of January. Those sailings usually go cheap. We did one back in May and our cousins paid $199.00 for a balcony stateroom.

I enjoyed "the 6 months and I am still haunted" blog. Hopefully, I will have the same experience. However, some of the responses have been rather biased. I have cruised many times on the "other" Italian cruise line, Costa, and have had fantastic dining experiences aboard them. I have cruised at all levels in most cruise lines, and I will state again, as I have stated on other threads, that I have never seen so many threads about MSC Divina that make reference to poor food preferences. This is not an "American" thing, this is just being practical. I have never seen anywhere in print that MSC is addressing this perception. If it is a perception, it is a prevelent perception, and where I come from, perception is reality. I do not expect a Zagat kitchen on every cruise, but I do expect good food service. I am certain that I will be able to find something that I like at every sitting, but I shouldn't have to search for it. Costa never failed to satisfy, nor did NCL, Princess, Celebrity, NCL, Seaborne, Crystal, Regent or Raddison. I shouldn't have to prepare myself to expect less, and be pleased that my experience was better than expected. Where does MSC fit in this plan. What is their perception of the food service that they offer? I have never experienced MSC and I'm eagerly awaiting my TA cruise. Albeit with low expectations relative to the food. Which puzzles me, because of my experiences on the other Italian line, Costa.

So you see, it isn't my nationality that drives me, its my experiences. I am first generation Italian/American and know what experiences of have had in the US, Europe and Australia. I don't want to be accused of being a whiny American because I have an opinion. Opinions are based on experiences, and I've had a few.

Thank you for your comments.

Ciao,

Alberto

Perception isn't reality, its just the subjective opinion of the person speaking/writing!

Our experience with Costa was far different then yours! We not interested in going back!

Our experience with MSC, and the Divina, we will be back!:)

We prepared ourselves for a great cruise, on a beautiful ship, and after 14 days cruising the eastern and western Caribbean in our balcony, that's just what we got on the Divina!:D

We've cruised for more then 20 years, food is subjective, as is expectations!

Some people live life under a dark cloud, why, who knows, they live in negativity! You know these types, they can never be made happy! Why let their negativity ruin 'your expectations', and cruise experience?

We've never had a bad cruise in 20 years, some better then others, but never bad!

Our experience of 14 days on the Divina was their buffet was better then most other cruise lines!

The Divina's MDR was equal to RCL, Carnival, NCL, HAL, with Disney being the best! No one is getting a gourmet meal in the MDR of any cruise line! For the low prices people pay to cruise today as compared to land vacations, we're lucky the cruise lines don't just feed us cheap hot dogs!:eek:

Cruisers of all cruise lines complain about cutbacks in MDR quality over the years!

Our experience,,,what we consider undeniable facts,,,,

The Divina is one of the most beautiful, and clean ships at sea!

The Drink pkges. are the best, and cheapest at sea right now!

The Divina's prices are equal to, or better then any other cruise line in the Caribbean right now!

The MSC Loyalty Club is one of the best, and easiest to advance right now!

So whatever cruise line you take, forget negativity of others and go enjoy!:D

Edited by American Bear