Feedback for my schedule

uvasag

So this is what I've planned out.

1. Fly out of DTW on 11th July -> Arrive to Anchorage either afternoon or evening

2. Stay overnight at Anchorage

3. 12th July Rent a one way car and drive out of Anchorage towards Seward.

4. Arrive at Seward in the afternoon and explore the area

5. 13th July Check in our luggage at NCL and then take the Kenai Fjords tour

6. Return back to the ship for our Alaska cruise

What do you guys think ?

So this is what I've planned out.

1. Fly out of DTW on 11th July -> Arrive to Anchorage either afternoon or evening

2. Stay overnight at Anchorage

3. 12th July Rent a one way car and drive out of Anchorage towards Seward.

4. Arrive at Seward in the afternoon and explore the area

5. 13th July Check in our luggage at NCL and then take the Kenai Fjords tour

6. Return back to the ship for our Alaska cruise

What do you guys think ?

I personally love the train to Seward, if you are driving you can't see how incredible it is! This was one of the highlights of our trip!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I personally love the train to Seward, if you are driving you can't see how incredible it is! This was one of the highlights of our trip!

Yes I did consider taking the train. There were a couple of reasons why I opted to rent a car.

1. Cost

2. To be able to stop for picture opportunities or wild life viewing.

Also, we went back and forth whether to add some days for land tour but decided not to. So this will be our only opportunity to see true Alaska however little that we can.

Yes I did consider taking the train. There were a couple of reasons why I opted to rent a car.

1. Cost

2. To be able to stop for picture opportunities or wild life viewing.

Also, we went back and forth whether to add some days for land tour but decided not to. So this will be our only opportunity to see true Alaska however little that we can.

Yes I certainly understand the cost.... It is $89 per person next summer. But having lived in Anchorage for several year I would much rather enjoy the scenery and the photo opportunities from the train, than drive that road! The wild life and views from the train are amazing and everyone gets to see so much. Adventure Class even has a dome car that is a shared car so you can get up and walk around. I still say forget the car and start your vacation early :)

Yes I certainly understand the cost.... It is $89 per person next summer. But having lived in Anchorage for several year I would much rather enjoy the scenery and the photo opportunities from the train, than drive that road! The wild life and views from the train are amazing and everyone gets to see so much. Adventure Class even has a dome car that is a shared car so you can get up and walk around. I still say forget the car and start your vacation early :)

For our day in Anchorage on 12th July, other than the drive to Seward what else would you recommend around Anchorage. I have read tons of threads on this board and tripadvisor but the reason I'm asking you is because you live there. Any advice from a local Anchorage resident ?

My family still lives there but I have not lived there in many years so my current info sadly is not suitable for tourists. I am a train fan and look for every opportunity to get on one.

You could drive down the Seward Hwy to Mt Alyeska ... The Tram to the top of the Mt is $25 per person. Lots of hiking trails up there and you can have lunch on top and sit out side and enjoy the views! The Mt Views are right on the Sound. As a teen I skied in the summer and you go up the chair lift with snow on one side and beautiful water in the other side. Sadly times have changed and there usually is not snow in July anymore.

I am not wild about anything in Anchorage, there is a museum downtown. My advice take the train and get yourself to Seward and take a great excursions, it's a cute little fishing community with harbor side eating.

Sorry I can't be more helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love glaciers... So if it was me, I'd take a big chunk of the day to do a Prince William Sound glacier cruise out of Whittier. My second choice would be the 1 hour Portage Lake glacier cruise, which still leave plenty of time for exploring Portage Valley, doing the tram at Alyeska, visiting the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center and picture stops.

I love glaciers... So if it was me, I'd take a big chunk of the day to do a Prince William Sound glacier cruise out of Whittier. My second choice would be the 1 hour Portage Lake glacier cruise, which still leave plenty of time for exploring Portage Valley, doing the tram at Alyeska, visiting the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center and picture stops.

We will be visiting 2 glaciers while on cruise and even though from what I've read no two glaciers are the same I don't want to get all glaciered out. Also, we have decided to skip the land tour portion of our trip so want to do at least a day of driving in Alaska preferably between Anchorage and Seward since Seward is our final destination to board the ship.

Thank you for the suggestions though :)

I would not take the train if you gave it to me for free or even paid me to take it. I have taken 2 long scenic train trips in my life. One was unavoidable (Darwin to Adelaide on the Ghan) although in hindsight I should have driven the 3000 km. After all, it is only 1800 miles and we would have gotten to see a bit of Australia that most tourists do not see - the totally isolated outback. The other was from Anchorage to Denali and I hated every second of it because I like to be able to stop and enjoy the scenery instead of whizzing it without stopping.

The drive from Anchorage to Seward is easy. The scenery is incredible. There are great places to stop at along the way. There are attractions to visit. You miss all of these opportunities if you take the train.

I do not understand the people who say that the driver does not get to see anything. Depends upon whether you are a confidant driver and can drive and look or whether you have to keep your eyes fixed on the road ahead of you when you drive. When I drive, I often spot stuff that my wife has missed and visa versa. If she spots something that I have missed, I can always stop, get out of the car, and enjoy the view. Try doing that on a train.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Well everyone has there own views and opinions, isn't great we can agree to disagree!

I took a Washington DC to LA cross country train trip - American Orient Express (sadly out of business) 9 days and loved every minute. Anchorage to Fairbanks was equally wonderful and many others.

Hate car trips, like to move about the train, so each to his own!

Safe travels :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And we are the opposite, we just love to go by car. I love taking pixs and may want to wait 1/2 hour for the right opportunity to take a shot. A car gives you so much more freedom, to stop, go, rest whatever. If you find a spot that interests you, or just to sit and sort of 'smell the roses' as they say, just sit and take in where you are, that can only be done while doing it yourself.

Obviously there are many who would rather 'leave the driving to some one else' sit back and relax on a train.

That choice is up to the OP.

Cheers

Len