Ken Mills (Celebrity Summit Cruise Director)

MGK

Ken sure is long winded when making announcements and always wanted a response from the audience...a little annoying. However, he is a very hard worker and was very involved in many activities onboard. He seems to be enjoying what he is doing and so does his staff. Luigi his right hand man is also very good.

Any thoughts on Cruise Director Ken Mills? I thought he was a big improvement from Steve (last name?) from our previous cruise on the Summit in 2013.

Not very impressed. He didn't really take anything away from us enjoying the cruise, but we weren't fans. The Captain held more sway... he was awesome!

Glad to know where Ken is! We loved him as a member of the CD's staff and then found him again as an assistant CD. Heard he'd made CD and then had left NCL. Thanks for the info! (He was a lot freer with the wit and jokes as a lower level staff member, lol.)

Not very impressed. He didn't really take anything away from us enjoying the cruise, but we weren't fans. The Captain held more sway... he was awesome!

I wasn't blown away by Ken either. Luigi was wonderful, full of life and quite natural. I always felt like Ken was more of a Las Vegas type lounge performer, always on, but always performing. I've never really cared or noticed who the captain was on prior sailings, but this captain was incredible. Loved his sense of humor in his morning announcement and had a lot of fun with him filming each other with our GoPro's.

Ken was far and away the best CD we've had on Celebrity. Sorry to say we aren't a fan of the old ex-songstresses we've had in the past, e.g. Sue Dennings and Lisa something or other. Ken and Luigi had a great rapport which makes me think that this wasn't their first time working together. Do all of his jokes land? No, but we appreciated his high energy and enthusiasm.

Captain Leo was the best. I have never seen a Captain play pool volleyball with the passengers before.

We loved Captain Leo too! I really didn't interact with Ken much, but thought he was decent. I loved Luigi teaching salsa on the pool deck though. He's got some moves!

We loved Ken when we sailed to Bermuda on the Summit in July! I had several interactions with him while on board. Now the captain.....lovvvvvvved him even more. What a great sense of humor. Loved all the references to being or not being Greek!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Forums mobile app

• 3 months later...
We felt Ken Mills was the worst Cruise Director ever on the Summit last week.

I agree and said so in their online survey. A cruise director should at least be able to pronounce the names of the islands we visited. He mispronounced "Dominica" and "Grenada." He also told a joke in the theater that was not family friendly and a little racist.

Ken: Went through the motions but seemed to want to end what he was involved in and get to the next project. I found him to be not very personal when not involved in a project. Met him quite a few times while walking through the ship and he was ALWAYS pre-occupied or distant. He would acknowledge our hello, but was always preoccupied to truly recognize you. My children called it being dissed.

Luigi: A blast, outgoing, friendly and just full of life.

The Captain: was the friendliest, outgoing down to earth Captain I have ever met. My wife thought him to be a true gentleman!

Ken: Went through the motions but seemed to want to end what he was involved in and get to the next project. I found him to be not very personal when not involved in a project. Met him quite a few times while walking through the ship and he was ALWAYS pre-occupied or distant. He would acknowledge our hello, but was always preoccupied to truly recognize you. My children called it being dissed.

The Captain: was the friendliest, outgoing down to earth Captain I have ever met. My wife thought him to be a true gentleman!

Agreed on Ken... We thought he was great with a crowd, but when we finally met the guy, he was quite aloof. My daughter said he was going all Hollywood on us.

Edited by MGK

totally agree with above comments ...we had met Luigi a couple of years earlier when he was on the activity team on Silhouette ...great guy....and the Captain was the most visible and approachable Captain that I have seen.

Trying to understand the issue. We have probably taken over 100 cruises ( on the Eclipse now) and can remember the names of about 2 or 3 CDs. We could care less about their silly jokes or if they are good announcers. In fact, we think that the ones we do not remember were the good ones. So who cares. Good Chefs matter, Good Hotel Managers really matter. CDs? Who cares.

Hank

P.S. The CD on our cruise seems like a nice guy. So what?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Any thoughts on Cruise Director Ken Mills? I thought he was a big improvement from Steve (last name?) from our previous cruise on the Summit in 2013.

[[/i]

I think that cruise directors are a lot like food reviews - personal opinions. Ironically, when I had my review published about New England / Canada cruise, my comments at Ken were deleted by the hosts (comments that I thought just said my personal opinion - did not swear, did not call him names etc.)

I had mentioned that he was very loud and yelling into the microphone at the evening shows. Again, as mentioned -- always asking for approval of his remarks (yelling) with clapping etc. from the audience. I thought he was obnoxious and yes some of his jokes would not be appropriate for children - however, on our cruise there were very few children. When I saw him on deck, did not appear to mingle/speak with cruisers. I just ignored him as I had no desire to talk to him.

Some of our tablemates went to Sin City at night and they said his remarks were much more obscene and he certainly made many remarks regarding sexual orientation.

As for his weight - some people are more prone to putting on weight -- consider that if you were on a cruise for months on end -- would you put on weight if you were predisposed to weight gain and all the food that is available?? It is a lot easier to watch your weight and try not over-indulge when you are on a cruise for 4-30 days etc.

One of the CD's that I personally liked was Sue; however as with most CD's she has people who like and dislike her. As I said -- CD's are lot like food comments - personal preference.

Cruise directors do not impact on how I enjoy cruises.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We have had some very enjoyable CD's on various ships across various lines. Some of our most memorable times have been interacting with the staff including the CD's. We're looking forward to the Summit this spring and who-so-ever may be directing us in all the fun. Hope that super fun captain is still aboard when we get there!!