ES - Am I the only one who doesn't see the value?

lazyart

This is our first cruise with carnival booking early saver. Never really had a problem with getting OBC or refund. Our choice. They have always said the you are guaranteed the lowest price and having booked a balcony room on lido for less than $75/ night is a great deal. And we stop at 4 ports. I check everyday on fare viewer and have close to $500 in OBC. We are very happy with this. I have booked only a month out for cruises and have gotten deals with that too. But I think so far this has been the best deal

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

I see the threads with people excited because prices dropped and they are getting OBC for the difference. And I'm happy for all of you.

But I booked an OV guarantee sixty days out. Prices dropped so I moved to a balcony guarantee. With the next drop I selected my own room. When prices dropped yet again I called in, but instead of getting OBC I got a refund to my credit card. And with only a couple cabins left available in my category and 26 days to cruise, I'm thinking I've found the lowest price I'm gonna find. And I didn't commit six months, a year (or more) in advance, nor is my cash tied up in Carnival's hands (and let's face it... the more OBC you have, the more you're likely going to use up).

So I ask myself... what did I miss out on by not going Early Saver?

BTW I live in Florida and might have an advantage with more frequent (and more enticing) sales offers.

(Maybe this is just a perfect storm of pricing and timing. Wifey's birthday lands during hurricane season.)

You are absolutely correct. Best prices tend to come close to sail date. And if you book early saver, Carnival will deny a price match to most of the deals close to sail date because they are for cabin guarantees. I will not book early saver again unless I have a really, really good reason such as trying to get a cabana on HMC. Carnival's pricing far out is very optimistic on their part IMO. If you want the best price and don't mind booking a guarantee, wait until last minute to book because Carnival is denying most price drop requests these day due to guarantees.

We booked our first Carnival cruise in January. I was told to book early saver so if the price dropped, we could get obc. We booked a spa cabin and apparently those prices never drop. As a matter of fact, they have gone up. There have been numerous price drops (my friends who we are meeting at the port have gotten more price drops than I can count), but they were for past guest, GA resident or you had to go to a guaranty cabin. Why would I book a spa cabin to go to a guaranty cabin? So it seems if you want the spa area, early saver is useless. On the other hand, my DS and his friend have been upgraded from an inside on deck 7 to a spa balcony (they went to the guaranty balcony and got a cabin across the hall from us) and have $168 in obc. Our friends also went to a guaranty balcony and are beside my DS, so also across the hall from us, and they have $978 in obc!! So we paid the highest price, have 0 in obc and have the inside cabin. Wow, we really lucked out. LOL

I have never booked a land or sea vacation more than 3 months out

I have always found air fare is great from 60 to 90 days out

And far as cruises The least amount of time works for me. Also save me money as there is less shopping days for the better have

I do know people who take great joy in the planning ( not me)

But different strokes ......

But I booked an OV guarantee sixty days out. Prices dropped so I moved to a balcony guarantee. With the next drop I selected my own room. When prices dropped yet again I called in, but instead of getting OBC I got a refund to my credit card.

Id be willing to bet that you did not receive a price drop refund to your credit card within 60 days of sailing. That would be after the final payment deadline. :rolleyes:

We are booked at the previous guest rate but I hope ES is still available after I book our flights.

Travelling with teens whose cabin needs to across the hall (within 3 cabins) makes for some preplanning, especially during a school break week.

If it was just DH and me, I'd book airfare and wait till a week before sail date to book a cruise.

I agree with those who said "it all depends on circumstances"

Edited by Cruising4
type-o

I book ES because I usually book 6-18 months in advance, since the cabins I like are in limited supply (sometimes only two per ship).

You are definitely lucky to live in Florida!

To each their own!

Wow - what category is that ????

I have had ti go both ways. 4 out of my 6 cruises were booked early saver, and only on two did we get OBC. BUT on all 4, the price dropped below final payment date, and so we didn't "spend" the money. The Liberty was by far the best we have made out - we boarded with close to $400 in OBC. we had so much OBC (we had cashed in some reward points on the Carnival MC before the price drops happened), that we actually got a check back from Carnival after the cruise for what we had left.

It doesn't work for everyone, but for me it works. It also helps solidify my time off at work if I book far in advance, and generally around the time we book ES is close to being the only one available. Plus it helps me to make slow and steady payments.

We've already received one price drop for the Fascination, and just under 2 months from final payment on that one. :)

I hear you - I like the L shaped cabins with the bigger balconies and there are only 2 of those I will book on the conquest ship (but 6 total, I just refuse to book above the aft lounge :P).

My parent have 9201 on an upcoming Valor cruise - and there are only two of those cabins on that ship :)

I hear you - I like the L shaped cabins with the bigger balconies and there are only 2 of those I will book on the conquest ship (but 6 total, I just refuse to book above the aft lounge :P).

My parent have 9201 on an upcoming Valor cruise - and there are only two of those cabins on that ship :)

That's righhht. Those 6ks are hard to come by, which is why we just booked one for next Summer. And we used the past guest rate. Not ES. One day we'll have to try an aft wrap. Last minute doesn't cut it if you want certain cabin types.

Id be willing to bet that you did not receive a price drop refund to your credit card within 60 days of sailing. That would be after the final payment deadline. :rolleyes:

On 8/31 (my sail date is 10/5) I received a $40 credit on my bank statement as a result of the phone call I made to take advantage of the price drop. I don't really want to post a screen shot to prove it. And I have nothing to gain by making this all up.

I do understand that when booking a number of cabins together that it makes sense to go ES. If you want an aft balcony, yeah you'd better grab it quick. Outside of that... at least for a Floridian, there is little motivation to book ES.

Edited by lazyart

It is possible to get price drops within 60 days of sailing. It depends on the rate you have when you hit 75 days, or 60 days. Our next sail date is in November and our final payment date is 30 days before we sail.

I've never booked early saver. We don't live near a port, have to coordinate schedules of 5 adults with jobs, school and obligations. I don't have any trouble getting airfare 45 days out. One Christmas we flew to San Juan and purchased air fare within 2 weeks of the sail date. I don't recommend it. Had some bad anxiety there at the end as I played chicken with plane fares... but made it in the end.

I've also never had any trouble getting the cabins we prefer on the Promenade deck.

I've had some great price drops so far in the last couple of months. Altogether, I think I knocked $700 off our cruise price. Maybe more, I can't recall exactly.

I do NOT like having to constantly check for rate changes. I appreciate people on CC starting a thread when they get a good price drop. It has helped me save money!

I see the threads with people excited because prices dropped and they are getting OBC for the difference. And I'm happy for all of you.

But I booked an OV guarantee sixty days out. Prices dropped so I moved to a balcony guarantee. With the next drop I selected my own room. When prices dropped yet again I called in, but instead of getting OBC I got a refund to my credit card. And with only a couple cabins left available in my category and 26 days to cruise, I'm thinking I've found the lowest price I'm gonna find. And I didn't commit six months, a year (or more) in advance, nor is my cash tied up in Carnival's hands (and let's face it... the more OBC you have, the more you're likely going to use up).

BTW I live in Florida and might have an advantage with more frequent (and more enticing) sales offers.

(Maybe this is just a perfect storm of pricing and timing. Wifey's birthday lands during hurricane season.)

I book ES when I am booking for our family (2 rooms either connecting, next to each other, or across the hall) or looking at a specific room (ie a certain balcony room with a larger balcony). This guarantees we get the room(s) that we want. I just watch for the price drops....not a big deal to me and fun when we get them. Plus we usually need to plan our family vacations well in advance to make sure everyone can get the time off needed.

I like booking my cruises FAR in advance, but I don't like locking myself in with a deposit that is non-refundable, even if it saves me a few bucks. I've learned that there are many variables in life that can alter what I'll be doing a year from now.

I normally book the CHEAPEST category that I'm comfortable with (usually a standard ocean view stateroom). As we get closer to final payment, I keep monitoring for sales and price drops, and apply accordingly. Inside final payment, I monitor for further price drops and if I see one, I upgrade to a better category. So far, this system has worked for me and I have always walked away feeling that I got the best price possible for the stateroom that I end up sailing on. :)

Another reason why I don't like ES is because several times, I've booked a cruise, only to switch to a completely different ship and cruise line if I find a more appealing sailing further down the road. If I locked myself with ES, I would be limiting my options.

This exactly what I do and for pretty much the same reasons. I also usea online TA that fronts the deposit and then charges it to me about 2 weeks before final payment that way if I change my plans I don't even have to wait on my deposit to be refunded.

I suppose Early Saver is targeted at folks like me. I book in advance so that I can make payments instead of a lump sum all at once. I love OBC as it means less pocket cash i have to put aside as the date nears.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Forums mobile app

You can make payments under any rate code.

I have always done ES and everytime I cringe when a week before my cruise see how low the prices have dropped. I think I get so excited about my trip I can't wait to book so I book at least 6 months in advance. I promised myself just the other day next cruise I am going to wait until a week before to book (using all my willpower). I will book my flight as usual. If by chance I can't get on a cruise I will do a land vacation but I have no doubt there will be plenty of cruise options to choose from even at the last minute. I am actually looking forward to the challenge of finding the best deal ever!

I have always done ES and everytime I cringe when a week before my cruise see how low the prices have dropped. I think I get so excited about my trip I can't wait to book so I book at least 6 months in advance. I promised myself just the other day next cruise I am going to wait until a week before to book (using all my willpower). I will book my flight as usual. If by chance I can't get on a cruise I will do a land vacation but I have no doubt there will be plenty of cruise options to choose from even at the last minute. I am actually looking forward to the challenge of finding the best deal ever!

Hehehe.. that's too extreme for me! My concern is being too late to book excursions.

I have to laugh every time I see a negitive comment from someone in Fla. about ES. So for all the people living in Florida here goes. The rest of the world can not in most cases book a cruise at the last min. as many other things need to be arranged. Ie: Transportation to Fla., hotel room for the night before the cruise. Just those two take a look sometime at the difference in price between booking airfare form Boston to Miami 6 months out as opposed to a month out. A month out if you can find a flight it is normally 2 to 3 times that of booking it 6 months out. And just try some time booking a hotel room near any of the Fla. ports or the night before your cruise a month out.

ES is not always available for every cruise. ES was not offered for ours. Either way, I booked early and check pricing daily (alerts daily from another site) and our cruise has never gotten cheaper. It just kept going up.

Edited by beyond2k

4J's, all the way forward of the ship, with the "secret" deck in front. I posted a pic of my last one here. 2 corner cabins, 4-6 cabins between them, depending on the size of the ship.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1839069

The magenta cabins all the way forward.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/carnival-breeze-deck-plans/dp/?ShipID=609&deck=7

And I think the other one is 6K, it's the grand scenic view, same location (but only available on 5 ships) - the whole outer wall is floor to ceiling windows, and the two corner ones are bigger/have more window wall. Someone posted a pic of the cabin I have booked for next year, Glory 9201. Only two per ship.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1801810&page=9

4J's, all the way forward of the ship, with the "secret" deck in front. I posted a pic of my last one here. 2 corner cabins, 4-6 cabins between them, depending on the size of the ship.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1839069

The magenta cabins all the way forward.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/carnival-breeze-deck-plans/dp/?ShipID=609&deck=7

And I think the other one is 6K, it's the grand scenic view, same location (but only available on 5 ships) - the whole outer wall is floor to ceiling windows, and the two corner ones are bigger/have more window wall. Someone posted a pic of the cabin I have booked for next year, Glory 9201. Only two per ship.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1801810&page=9

Wow - what fabulous cabins !!

I thinK could easily give up a balcony to have one of those !!:D

Jane

Wow - what fabulous cabins !!

I thinK could easily give up a balcony to have one of those !!:D

Jane

The 4J's are great, and they are considered "interior with obstructed view" so they are interior price plus around $30 a day over, but totally worth it! If you look it up there are a ton of pics around of the front of the ship and the huge deck outside of them.

I believe 6K's are former 4J's but I'm not sure. They certainly look like they could have been!

When my aunt saw my photos she thought I had a suite! But keep in mind, most of the time the corner 4J's are HC modified cabins. If you don't have a need for it you may get bumped. I had the spa equivalent of the 4J (can't remember the code for it) corner cabin 11203 on the Magic and got bumped because somebody needed it, but now I have a spa balcony cabin, it's all good! It was my 4th booking of a 4J HC but the first bump.

Next year I have two cruises booked in the forward corners of the ship and neither are HC cabins - yay!

We book early saver. We can't afford to cruise often and we book well in advance. We also aren't looking for every $5 or $10 price change. We did get a significant price break and upgrade on our last cruise after the Triumph incident. But I like being able to pick the exact cabin I want. I like having plenty of time to plan and look forward to the cruise, which is half the fun for me. At the time I book, it is the best price available and I'm satisfied with that or I wouldn't book. If we get some OBC, an upgrade or money back, so much the better. I think if I lived in FL, I would be more likely to take advantage of a last minute deal.

If you are going to go on the trip anyway and you know when, it doesn't seem that it would matter very much if Carnival is holding my money for 1 month or 1 year. It's not like I am going to put the money in the bank and get rich on the interest.

Plus with the OBC offered for booking on a cruise ( that's an extra $100 for a 1wk.cruise) , I have taken advantage of that for our last 3 cruises as well as booking ES where I can pick my cabin, with the option of getting cash back or OBC's with any applicable price drop or an upgrade if it suits me.

My vacation time and vacations are typically planned and paid for almost a year out. Maybe when I am retired I could consider a last minute vacation, but I can't do it now, so early saver does what it says and saves me money.

So there are many reasons to book ES