Western Caribbean

janecambridge

Sitting in inner tubes you go down the river, through pitch black caves (you have a flashlight). It is about an hour out of town (the town isn't someplace you would want to be) so you get to see some scenery before hiking for about 20 minutes to the river.

This is a horrible cruise. The best part would be to see the Mayan ruins. We go Oceania and they call it Mayan Mystique...it has stopped me from B2B sailings for two seasons. Belize is nice and I love Key West...but the whole cruise is a no go for me...that is my opinion only.

This is a horrible cruise. The best part would be to see the Mayan ruins. We go Oceania and they call it Mayan Mystique...it has stopped me from B2B sailings for two seasons. Belize is nice and I love Key West...but the whole cruise is a no go for me...that is my opinion only.

Oh dear.Why?

We also love this part of the Caribbean. The one port I would love to skip is Cozumel because there are usually 6 or 7 huge ships docked next to you which fills this small town with too many people (many of whom are out drinking and partying a bit too much). I enjoy the other ports very much.

We had a great time on this cruise.

In Cozumel, we did the speed boats that you drive yourself. They were great fun.

In Belize, highly recommend the excursion that includes a boat ride down the river to some Mayan ruins. This is one of top 5 favorite excursions ever.

In key west, we did the sport fishing. Not my thing, but my husband had a good time.

We did the airboat ride in Belize. BEST excursion EVER anywhere in the the Caribbean in 25 years. The enthusiasm of the crew was fabulous and you felt that each time was the first time from their own enjoyment of the trip. Professional and informative! And also a great tour of the city.

Debi

Just because you are on Regent doesn't mean that you MUST take one of their excursions. Look on the Ports of Call board, and see what you'd like to do. If Regent has an excursion to the place you want to visit or the thing you want to do, great! If not, do it on your own.

In two of the ports on this itinerary (Cozumel and Roatan), we did things on our own, and we're glad we did so. This was in 2004, so things may have changed; but you're sure to find things you like.

Roatan - We went to the Sante Wellness Retreat, http://www.santewellnessretreat.com/#bed_breakfast This was one of the most beautiful places we've ever visited. The place is a B & B with massages, snorkeling, swimming, and just sitting in a hammock in a beautiful garden that has flowers and parrots. Their cruise ship package includes pickup, a boat ride, and a lovely lunch. The owners are Californians who found their piece of paradise in the Honduras islands. The reviews on Trip Advisor are amazing. Highly recommended.

Cozumel. We took the CC board advice, and took a walk toward the town square. The first three blocks from the waterfront are pure tourist; but Mexico starts a few blocks inland. We played miniature golf, wandered around the Zocalo, found some bargains that were negotiated down to less than half what was originally asked, drank some flavored booze, and ate at a great restaurant (where we were the only gringos). Another wonderful day in 2004.

These things may not be what you want to do; but the CC boards will help you find exactly what you want.

Just because you are on Regent doesn't mean that you MUST take one of their excursions. Look on the Ports of Call board, and see what you'd like to do. If Regent has an excursion to the place you want to visit or the thing you want to do, great! If not, do it on your own.

In two of the ports on this itinerary (Cozumel and Roatan), we did things on our own, and we're glad we did so. This was in 2004, so things may have changed; but you're sure to find things you like.

Roatan - We went to the Sante Wellness Retreat, http://www.santewellnessretreat.com/#bed_breakfast This was one of the most beautiful places we've ever visited. The place is a B & B with massages, snorkeling, swimming, and just sitting in a hammock in a beautiful garden that has flowers and parrots. Their cruise ship package includes pickup, a boat ride, and a lovely lunch. The owners are Californians who found their piece of paradise in the Honduras islands. The reviews on Trip Advisor are amazing. Highly recommended.

Cozumel. We took the CC board advice, and took a walk toward the town square. The first three blocks from the waterfront are pure tourist; but Mexico starts a few blocks inland. We played miniature golf, wandered around the Zocalo, found some bargains that were negotiated down to less than half what was originally asked, drank some flavored booze, and ate at a great restaurant (where we were the only gringos). Another wonderful day in 2004.

These things may not be what you want to do; but the CC boards will help you find exactly what you want.

I second the recommendation for Sante. It is lovely and we had the best massages ever!!!

• 1 month later...

Sante Wellness Retreat in Roatan Bay Honduras is open again. They were closed for a time and unfortunately the great reviews on Trip Advisor are no longer there. I originally went three years ago and it is hands down one of the best experiences I ever had. The place is so quiet and tranquil. The spa services are amazing. I had a facial and massage. They also offer couples massage. You can also go to just hang out by the ocean (no beach) or snorkel. You can purchase a very good lunch for not too much money. It is very quiet, peaceful and remote. You can go to their website http://www.santewellnessretreat.com I am also happy to send my personal pics of the place to anyone who is considering going. Those who cruise often know how great it is to get away somewhere quiet and peaceful for the day.