Continued price drops after final payment date

Vineyard View

Sooo, all the long time HAL cruisers that I appreciate so much responses from both in understanding and not. What I gleam from this is that if you wait until after final payment, not only are international airfare more aggressive than in the past, but you pay the real value of your cabin. Even using FF miles, as we do, just being flexible in and out dates, it can still be done. So at the end of the day, you save on your cabin potentially thousands of dollars, you don't get caught up in the drink package game, and you still have a beautiful experience that you would have had for thousands more dollars? I think I understand the game better.

And regarding supply and demand - I get that too. But I do know that there are other cruise lines who don't play this game.

In the end, enjoying our trip is number 1. We will absolutely do that.

Future cruises - well, I can apply lessons learned - and it will or will not include HAL. I worked too hard all my life for my money - I don't believe in the money games here.

Thanks again for all the experience and input here. You all truly helped me learn a big lesson!!

We loved HAL until last Christmas on the Noordam. Our balcony cabin had a lifeboat in front of us.If we looked out we had to be standing to see the water. We spoke to customer service and the main person was as nasty as can be. We then wiended up with the hotel big shot and he was even worse. I felt likewe were treated lie criminals. Sorry but I have been on 45cruises and never had we been treated as poorly. Not an apology, not a comp for specialty restaurant just told that is not an obstruction. Most cruse lines are very exact when thereis any typeof ostruction even when it is minor. HAL does not.

We will not cruise with them again- We don't need to be tr eated so poorly.

Shame on them!

I've looked at the Noordam Balcony cabins & don't know where any of the balcony cabins have a lifeboat in front of them... We've been on the Noordam... I remember that Noordam's life boats are hanging just above the promenade deck..We always sat out on Promenade & loved being under the lifeboats out of the sun.. So the lifeboat would have been below your cabin... Psgrs would board the lifeboats from the Promenade deck in an emergency... Where else would you expect the life boats to be on that size ship? Looks to me that you are not used to the smaller ships, as you have cruised mostly on the RCCL ships..

I can't understand why you would even expect any compensation for having to stand to see the water.. Didn't you look at the deck plans before booking? If you did not want to see the lifeboats you should have booked a higher category cabin such as a suite on one of the higher decks on the Noordam..

I agree a lifeboat below you is not an obstruction! You say shame on them, but I say shame on your Travel Agent for not advising you about the Noordam...

Edited by serendipity1499

Our most recent cruise dropped in price substantially - more than once. We, too, asked our TA to check with HAL. And both times they offered a substantial upgrade to our Guarantee cabin booking plus a relatively small OBC. We were very happy with the way the requests were handled.

When is the best time before Final Payment Due are the prices for a cabin at their best for sales? :confused:

It seems booking far in advance will only be at the top dollar! :(

Unless you must have a certain cabin at any price! :rolleyes:

I understand what you are saying and respect that. However, as a service to me my TA monitors the price of my booked cruise from the time I book to the time the final payment is due. If the price goes down she has always called HA and I have always received the lower price. I look at it in a different way than you. A hundred dollars is better off in my pocket than HA's pocket.

bob

Your TA is great. Not only is she working to save you money; she is probably also getting a lower commission by having your fare reduced. Considering how little they make these days per booking, you are very fortunate to have her services.

There are not that many who will do that off their own bat, unless you ask.

The lower pricing to TA's is a reality for sure - however in engaging with them it is their inherent responsibility as your agent to do what is best for you, not worrying about lower commissions - without engaging with you there would be no commissions.

And yes, as far as HAL is concerned - if you can wait until after final payment date on many more cruises than not will save you money - based on what everyone collectively has said.

Is it true that if you book with TA that when these price drops occur, only the TA can negotiate with HAL?

On the first price drop post payment, she was able to help out with a guarantee to confirmed cabin in higher category of that classification of cabins. It was a huge drop in price - now with this second drop in price post payment she felt that there was no more room.

If I were talking total drop of a few hundred I wouldn't bother - but the total drop since purchase for both of us amounts to 2/3 of the price paid per person - for a balcony. A lot of money left on the table.

Clearly there is a reason that I do not gamble - and first time with HAL has been quite a lesson.

Do I understand you to say that you did receive compensation via receiving a confirmed cabin # in a higher category when there was a huge price drop before final payment? An now after final payment the price dropped again but your TA won't even call HAL for you? That's irresponsible of the TA. You are the client. Be the squeekie wheel.

Edited by Linda&Vern

Sooo, all the long time HAL cruisers that I appreciate so much responses from both in understanding and not. What I gleam from this is that if you wait until after final payment, not only are international airfare more aggressive than in the past, but you pay the real value of your cabin. Even using FF miles, as we do, just being flexible in and out dates, it can still be done. So at the end of the day, you save on your cabin potentially thousands of dollars, you don't get caught up in the drink package game, and you still have a beautiful experience that you would have had for thousands more dollars? I think I understand the game better.

And regarding supply and demand - I get that too. But I do know that there are other cruise lines who don't play this game.

In the end, enjoying our trip is number 1. We will absolutely do that.

Future cruises - well, I can apply lessons learned - and it will or will not include HAL. I worked too hard all my life for my money - I don't believe in the money games here.

Thanks again for all the experience and input here. You all truly helped me learn a big lesson!!

We work hard for our money, too. The price drops are not guaranteed, you need to remember that. We've been on cruises where the prices (for our chosen category) ended up nearly double what we paid. If you aren't married to a date and itinerary, you will be able to find lower prices on some (many?) sailings after final payment date. But certainly not on all.

(and that is from someone whose most recent cruise had prices PLUMMET after final payment date -- but I got the accommodation and itin that I wanted, on the dates that I needed, on the ship that I wanted ..... which has some value to me)

Huge price drop within 24 hrs of final payment. TA worked with HAL to take from guarantee to confirmed cabin. That was great - although I would rather have the money! Another big price drop has occurred. I am now paying almost $3,000 for the price current price point of the guarantee cabin/class I booked. I have to believe most sane people would prefer the money over a confirmed cabin number. JMO. Crappy business strategy.

Huge price drop within 24 hrs of final payment. TA worked with HAL to take from guarantee to confirmed cabin. That was great - although I would rather have the money! Another big price drop has occurred. I am now paying almost $3,000 for the price current price point of the guarantee cabin/class I booked. I have to believe most sane people would prefer the money over a confirmed cabin number. JMO. Crappy business strategy.

I believe there are good number of us here who gladly pay additional bucks to choose our cabin. I am noise sensitive. Even if my cabin turns out to be noisy, if I have chosen it--it's OK. One time on HAL I got a great deal on a cabin...that was next to the embarkation desk on the original Noordam. We heard the constant beep! We have had many guarantees, until I decided I wanted to choose my cabin, no matter the cost. Unless there are no bad cabins in a certain category...which doesn't happen often. I assure you I am sane. I like saving money, but I prefer choosing my cabin.

On Hal I take my chances with a guarantee. I too am noise sensitive but I can't say I've eve had a cabin that was that bad. I do balconies and if I didn't I would pick a room. On Princess I always pick my room because I kept getting stupid noisy cabins. For $3k I might be will to take the chance.

I want what I want. I choose a ship, sailing date, cabin, and dining time/table size I want. If I can't get that, I don't book the cruise. If I can get it, I accept the price. Or not. If I do accept the price, I don't dwell on what might have been.

I assure you, I am sane.

I agree - it's a crappy business model. And, as you can see from the responses, for some, it works. I would prefer the savings, which is why we have selected a cruise for next December but will not be booking it any time soon.

It may not be the business strategy you like - but the strategy is chosen by HAL - who seems to like it.

It may not be the business strategy you like - but the strategy is chosen by HAL - who seems to like it.

Of course they like it because they think it will bring more money in. If you or anyone wants to pay top dollar, that great. Hal will love you. I see nothing wrong with higher prices for exotic cruises. When they charge that for the caribbean, I do have a problem. I'm not married to hal like some folks are. I'm quite happy going on princess in spring 2015. If it works so well for them they wouldn't have to have so many bargain basement prices.

Edited by cruz chic

I'm certain all cruise lines do the same thing, it's all about filling up the ship as quickly as possible and as someone mentioned previously it's also the law of supply and demand. We book guarantees knowing as Mariners that we can expect a nice upgrade within the category but we also watch pricing and if it drops We contact our PCC and adjust the rate, no sweat. Post final payment should there be a drop we can expect SBC or an upsell offer, which we generally get anyway. Some cruises book quickly so if you want a specific room book it! If not wait and take your chances. We are HAL cruisers and do not want to change so we do what is best for us. To each their own I guess. It's a business but HAL takes care of their Mariners as do other lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm certain all cruise lines do the same thing, it's all about filling up the ship as quickly as possible and as someone mentioned previously it's also the law of supply and demand. We book guarantees knowing as Mariners that we can expect a nice upgrade within the category but we also watch pricing and if it drops We contact our PCC and adjust the rate, no sweat. Post final payment should there be a drop we can expect SBC or an upsell offer, which we generally get anyway. Some cruises book quickly so if you want a specific room book it! If not wait and take your chances. We are HAL cruisers and do not want to change so we do what is best for us. To each their own I guess. It's a business but HAL takes care of their Mariners as do other lines.

Not all cruiselines do it. As much as I hate celebrity they seem to have better pricing further out. That is all I ask. If Hal gave a reasonable price lets say a year out or even six months out I wouldn't care one bit if they gave the farm away at the end. I book guarantees so a specific room means nothing to me. I know some folks are very, very fussy so they should book ahead. If you get compensation past final consider yourself lucky. That is not a given.

I really wish everyone who claims that the pricing is simply supply and demand would please explain how HAL's pricing strategy supports the principle of supply and demand. It certainly doesn't support the supply and demand model that I studied in economics.

If one has cruised a lot they may understand how it works but I see it as very simple. Cruise lines base their prices on cruise itinerary, location, and category. As time passes if sales are slow, no demand, they lower prices to fill the ship. Sales may flip and the demand increases so they may bump up prices, which does happen from time to time. Prices fluctuate based on what's available per category, the demand, and time to sale date. It's all about filling the ship. Another thing that happens us those that have booked guarantees may be offered an upsell at a reduced rate to free up lower categories due to demand for those categories. It's the Econ I studied!

If one has cruised a lot they may understand how it works but I see it as very simple. Cruise lines base their prices on cruise itinerary, location, and category. As time passes if sales are slow, no demand, they lower prices to fill the ship. Sales may flip and the demand increases so they may bump up prices, which does happen from time to time. Prices fluctuate based on what's available per category, the demand, and time to sale date. It's all about filling the ship. Another thing that happens us those that have booked guarantees may be offered an upsell at a reduced rate to free up lower categories due to demand for those categories. It's the Econ I studied!

I get what you are saying....no voodoo pricing. Just simple supply and demand. Cruiselines are in the business to make money. If they don't, we will see more cutbacks.

If people don't like the price, they are free to go elsewhere!