Kleenex in Room?

2 Sister Sue 2

Yes, a strange question, but do they provide kleenex in the cabins?

Thanks!:)

Yes as jaguarstyper said. You'll find it in the bathroom. I know on a cruise last year I got a cold, I told the steward to make sure I had lots of Kleenex as I knew I would be blowing my nose a lot. He kept me well supplied.

Yes as jaguarstyper said. You'll find it in the bathroom. I know on a cruise last year I got a cold, I told the steward to make sure I had lots of Kleenex as I knew I would be blowing my nose a lot. He kept me well supplied.

You need to be well supplied when you have a cold. Those dinky tissues are full with one blow. They are pathetically small. Another Hal cutback.:(:rolleyes:

You need to be well supplied when you have a cold. Those dinky tissues are full with one blow. They are pathetically small. Another Hal cutback.:(:rolleyes:

I find them a bit rougher than brand name too. When I've had colds/allergy attacks (hay fever) on cruises, I tend to stop at a pharmacy/grocery store at the next port and get a box of nice Kleenex.

As a longtime allergy sufferer and facial tissue connoisseur, I can tell you that HAL has your basic hotel tissues. They're no worse, nor no better than you will find in most any hotel. I recommend Kleenex Ultra Soft 3 ply. They are the gold standard, or as we call them "the good tissues." Take them out of the box so that they pack in less space.

Your wee, snotty nose will thank you.

I find them a bit rougher than brand name too. When I've had colds/allergy attacks (hay fever) on cruises, I tend to stop at a pharmacy/grocery store at the next port and get a box of nice Kleenex.

Agreed. If you get a bad cold some of the cheaper tissues will rub your nose raw.

Although Kleenex is supplied in the bathroom we always pick up a box of the good stuff in our departure port before the trip.

However, buying the good stuff does not extend to toilet paper. The one ply paper supplied by the ship is all a marine toilet and plumbing system can handle. Bringing your own toilet paper will jam up the system.

As a longtime allergy sufferer and facial tissue connoisseur, I can tell you that HAL has your basic hotel tissues. They're no worse, nor no better than you will find in most any hotel. I recommend Kleenex Ultra Soft 3 ply. They are the gold standard, or as we call them "the good tissues." Take them out of the box so that they pack in less space.

Thankfully Embassy Suites still has decent Kleenex.

Although Kleenex is supplied in the bathroom we always pick up a box of the good stuff in our departure port before the trip.

However, buying the good stuff does not extend to toilet paper. The one ply paper supplied by the ship is all a marine toilet and plumbing system can handle. Bringing your own toilet paper will jam up the system.

DONT bring your own TP! Cabin stewards have told me that plumbing issues are caused at least once a cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by UPNYGuy

The Kleenex are in a dispenser in the bathroom. We always take the spare from under the sink and put it in the room. The cabin steward will replace the spare. They are fine for everyday use. I really pack light. If one of us got a cold and the tissues bothered us, I would just buy some nice ones in a port. I do bring some of the individual packs of tissues for my husband to put in his pocket and me in my purse.

And it should be remembered - do not throw your 2 and 3-ply kleenex down the toilet after blowing your nose. You likely do it at home but the ship's system can't cope with it.

During a trans-atlantic cruise we had the Chief Engineer of the Prinsendam sit down for an interview/Q&A. The issue of toilet paper was brought up which then led him to talk about nose/face tissues. He specifically said that HAL used to provide nice, soft tissues to guests, but that too many of our fellow guests were flushing them down the toilet rather than placing them in the trash can, causing massive blockages, as they do not dissolve the way that the toilet paper does. So, HAL went out and contracted tissue that breaks down exactly the same way that the TP does - hence the more abrasive, thin version that you now find on ships. So, we only have our fellow guests to blame....and he also said that the tissue actually costs more not less because of it's specific qualities. Not a cutback - it's more like HAL is actually planning ahead and sparing us from an entire block of rooms being without toilet lines because another guest has flushed their Kleenex.

indokiwi, that's exactly what the hotel and cruise directors told me on my last cruise, when for some reason I was selected to participate in a small passenger forum with them about my thoughts on the cruise and ship.

One of the other passengers went on and on and ON about how the tissues were not adequate for his morning nasal emissions, and they pointed out that the tissues had to be flushable because no matter what HAL said or did or posted signs about, passengers were continuing to flush the tissues, causing blockages in the toilet system. So they had to use the flushable, thin tissues instead of Kleenex-type tissues. That didn't stop Mr. Nasal from continuing to complain, of course.

So...I'd say, if someone thinks they will be needing good-quality tissues on their cruise, they should bring their own...BUT DON'T FLUSH THEM!!! In addition to inconveniencing other passengers on the same toilet circuit with a blockage, not to mention the poor crew members who have to unblock the toilets...if they can figure out which cabin caused the blockage, they can bill that cabin for the repairs.

To repeat a warning: DO NOT DISPOSE OF ANY PERSONAL TYPE SOFTER TISSUES DOWN THE TOILET!!!!" Yes, I meant to shout. One time when I was on a long cruise, in the area near my cabin there where about 10 cabins where the toilets would stop flushing, be fixed, stopped, fixed, stopped, fixed over about a 5 day time period. Then we all got notices on our doors to NOT deposit "facial tissues" in the toilet. They said that this was what was causing the problem. This seemed a bit strange to many of us, but after the notice we never had another problem. (It was a month long cruise.) About a week later a passenger on our corridor admitted to the neighbors that she had been the culprit. Having some intestinal problems she had used the tissues rather than the TP (tissues softer at that time). The day she quit this the problems stopped and for the remainder of the cruise. I became a believer!

take your own. take box apart, vacuum seal tissues, they will be very compact. On arrival open package and return to taped box.

What a good idea ! It never occurred to me to remove the tissues from the box to make for easier packing. :D Duh......

Makes you wonder why on earth they wouldn't put a little sign in the bathroom about it. I bet many people don't even think or realise the problems it can cause.

There IS a sign. Over every toilet in every cabin there is a sign to not flush anything but body waste and the provided toilet tissue. Nothing. Nothing means nothing. To add any more verbage only makes it more than likely some (many ?) people will bother to read and if they omit something, there surely is one genius out there who will spout they didn't say we shouldn't flush the wash cloth.... groan.

Actually, I think that sign is also at every public toilet on the ship.

DONT bring your own TP! Cabin stewards have told me that plumbing issues are caused at least once a cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you will re read my post that you quoted you will see that I warned about bringing your own toilet tissue. You make it sound like I advised people to bring it.