Where do we find the best lobster meal on the Celebrity Solstice?

cruzinbabes

In 2012 on the Solstice we had Lobster twice.

The first time was the Captain's Welcome Formal Night in the MDR. The lobster tails (not whole lobster) were ok but not great... And fairly small. We are used to much better Lobster from our many trips to New England & The Maritimes. We finally figured out the problem... The Lobster was Warm Water Lobster... A whole other kettle of fish as they say.

The second time we had Lobster was in Murano's. This dish - Lobster Murano's is Prepared table side (great presentation) but it is a richer saucier dish... Excellent taste tho. Would definitely order again.

Hope this helps (somewhat)

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

We're not in AQ, so I think that leaves us out for Blue. Do any of the restaurants serve a really good grilled or broiled lobster with just a little drawn butter on the side? We're not really into lobster with fancy sauces and especially not a cheese-type sauce.

We're not in AQ, so I think that leaves us out for Blue. Do any of the restaurants serve a really good grilled or broiled lobster with just a little drawn butter on the side? We're not really into lobster with fancy sauces and especially not a cheese-type sauce.

I think you are destined for disappointment. This is a mass market line, and they serve mass market food. Some of it is very good, but lobster has never been among those dishes. It will ALWAYS be a frozen tail no matter how prepared.

We had the lobster prepared tableside in Murano and it was tough and totally tasteless--a total waste of $90. I'd start thinking of something else to crave. ;)

When it docks in Halifax.

As others have posted, cruise ship "lobster" is not the real thing that you would think of. They serve tails of spiny lobster, totally different than the Atlantic lobster with claws that can be found in New England/east coast Canada.

Skip the lobster.

Oh, oh, I think you are going to be surprised. I wish they had butter drawn cold water lobster at our whim - - - but - not to be had on Celebrity. You should try Oceania cruises - now there we could have lobster almost every night.

Celebrity does have a fish dish every evening and they do a nice job on it, but I don't think that is what you were looking for.

The best lobster meal on any cruise would be in a port....especially if you are on a New England/Canada cruise :). The reality is that the those oft warm water lobster tails served on most ships are a far cry from what most of us know as real lobster. We have a local diner that often has a lobster tail special which includes 2 small cold water lobster tails and sides for less then $20. This diner meal is far superior to the so-called lobster served on most cruise lines (including X). And by the way, if your cruise happens to be leaving out of Ft Lauderdale we recommend flying-in the day before, staying at one of the motels in the 17th St area, and having dinner at Kelly's Landing. Its a bar/restaurant that has great lobster (fresh...right out of the tank) for very reasonable prices. And we are talking real Maine Lobsters where you need a bib, a cracker for the claws, etc.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I suggest you try to get into Murano for lunch. It is usually only offered once during the cruise, and you have to approach them early to find out when it is and make a reservation. It is only $25 and they offer a basic lobster tail that is likely the best you will get onboard.

Hopefully you are cruising off eastern Canada or New England and can get to a lobster pound on shore. Otherwise, the stuff they serve on ships is not real lobster and does not compare w the real thing. As an alternative, wait until you get home and buy a lobster dinner with claws and a tail at home.

DON

Not exactly the responses I was hoping for, but I'm sure we won't starve!:D We're on an Alaskan cruise that starts in Seattle and ends in Vancouver. From Vancouver, we take a short cruise on the Island Princess back home to SF. Any good lobster on the Island Princess?

I'm sorry that we are all bursting your bubble, but I have to agree with previous posters that the best lobster will be found in port. We love to eat our local freshly-caught cold water lobster, but we have only ordered lobster once on a cruise and what they serve seems to be a completely different animal! It has a different texture and virtually no taste. All seafood and fish on board is frozen anyway, so you can probably get the same thing in the freezer cabinet at your local supermarket. But if you will be visiting a port where fresh lobster is available ........ yum, that is a different kettle of fish!:D

We're sailing on the Celebrity Solstice this Friday, and looking forward to having a fabulous lobster meal. We prefer a simple preparation vs heavy sauces. What restaurant do you recommend?:)

Have had lobster in MDR, murano's and Blu last week and IMHO Blu wins. Murano's would be next.

Not exactly the responses I was hoping for, but I'm sure we won't starve!:D We're on an Alaskan cruise that starts in Seattle and ends in Vancouver. From Vancouver, we take a short cruise on the Island Princess back home to SF. Any good lobster on the Island Princess?

We were on the Ruby Nov 2012 and the tails in the Crown Grill were ok, but once again on par with what you get at Red Lobster. I don't know the difference, but the lobster we were served when we did the ultimate balcony dinning was some of the better quality we have had on RCCL, Princess, and Celebrity in the last 4 years.

I suggest an on land meal of Alaskan crab legs. Served hot with melted butter (good places will serve the butter over a heater) it's as good as lobster any day.

Off topic response here- How do you feel about crab? Just to the left of the port in Junea is an unassuming little place that sells huge, fresh crab. It's called Tracy's King Crab Shack, and is just slightly larger than a food truck (you eat outside at tables under a tent or awning). I prefer crab over lobster every time, and would love to go back for those legs dipped in butter. You can find them online. kingcrabshack.com

Back to the original topic: the worst meal I ever had on Celebrity was the lobster in Blu. My husband's was fine, but mine could not be cut with a knife and fork, and it was swimming in pink peppercorns, which is all you could taste. I have avoided it since. Trust your waiter's recommendations.

Off topic response here- How do you feel about crab? Just to the left of the port in Junea is an unassuming little place that sells huge, fresh crab. It's called Tracy's King Crab Shack, and is just slightly larger than a food truck (you eat outside at tables under a tent or awning). I prefer crab over lobster every time, and would love to go back for those legs dipped in butter. You can find them online. kingcrabshack.com

Back to the original topic: the worst meal I ever had on Celebrity was the lobster in Blu. My husband's was fine, but mine could not be cut with a knife and fork, and it was swimming in pink peppercorns, which is all you could taste. I have avoided it since. Trust your waiter's recommendations.

We love crab, and look forward to going to Tracy's Crab Shack again! I agree that crab is as good as lobster, but living on the west coast, it's much easier for us to get good crab than lobster.

I suggest an on land meal of Alaskan crab legs. Served hot with melted butter (good places will serve the butter over a heater) it's as good as lobster any day.

100% agree with KILLINGTON if you are doing an Alaska Cruise skip the Lobster... And look for great Crab when in Port (eating local cuisine ashore is always a good cruise tip).

I love Lobster... But fresh Crab, especially Alaskan King Crab Legs can match up the experience really well.

As for the Island Princess faire... I suggest that you post on the CC Princess Forum so you'll get good quality input from those who have sailed her recently.

Cheers!