What is the suggested gratuities for

These are all per person per day.

Dining Services $6.80

Stateroom Attendant $3.85 (Suite attendant $6.10)

Other housekeeping Personnel $1.35

By leaving the gratuities in place, everyone get their fair share. By removing them, those other housekeeping personnel will not receive anything. The crew works very hard to give all of us a very memorable vacation and it is insulting to remove the gratuities, it makes them feel unappreciated. I guess you never worked in the service industry.

Just to let you know, your cabin attendant will have a list of all people that have removed the daily gratuities so I would hide your toothbrush. Overnight room service should also be tipped.

But then again, you already knew everything I said above, but just forgot the exact dollar amount, correct?

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

Dining Services $6.80

By leaving the gratuities in place, everyone get their fair share. By removing them, those other housekeeping personnel will not receive anything. The crew works very hard to give all of us a very memorable vacation and it is insulting to remove the gratuities, it makes them feel unappreciated. I guess you never worked in the service industry.

Just to let you know, your cabin attendant will have a list of all people that have removed the daily gratuities so I would hide your toothbrush. Overnight room service should also be tipped.

But then again, you already knew everything I said above, but just forgot the exact dollar amount, correct?

When I booked my cruise via the website it didn't add the gratuities. I contacted RCCL to find out how to pay them and how much but I didn't get a response. I just assumed that I would pay them cash but now reading this I am a bit worried that my toothbrush or other belongings may suffer a terrible fate :eek:

I also didn't even think about gratuities for the other staff that tend to our room, so now my question is; how do I prepay my gratuities now that my cruise is paid for in full? I don't want anyone to miss out or think that we wouldn't pay them. This will be my second time I've cruised and the last one had the gratuities built in to the total price plus we tipped our room attendant and waiters extra on top of the gratuities.

but now reading this I am a bit worried that my toothbrush or other belongings may suffer a terrible fate :eek:

I also didn't even think about gratuities for the other staff that tend to our room,

These are reasons I'd just prefer the attendant drop off some fresh towels occasionally but otherwise stay the heck out of my room. I know I'm in the minority but the room attendants creep me out.

But it's my understanding the gratuities will show up on your ship account. If you have my time dining then they will be added to the cost of the cruise.

When I booked my cruise via the website it didn't add the gratuities. I contacted RCCL to find out how to pay them and how much but I didn't get a response. I just assumed that I would pay them cash but now reading this I am a bit worried that my toothbrush or other belongings may suffer a terrible fate :eek:

I also didn't even think about gratuities for the other staff that tend to our room, so now my question is; how do I prepay my gratuities now that my cruise is paid for in full? I don't want anyone to miss out or think that we wouldn't pay them. This will be my second time I've cruised and the last one had the gratuities built in to the total price plus we tipped our room attendant and waiters extra on top of the gratuities.

Your onboard account will be charged daily for all gratuities. It's all taken care of automatically. You can always tip extra in cash if you'd like.

Your gratuities will be charged to your ship board account daily.

Its called "Auto Gratuities" so there is no need to pay "pre paid gratuities"

RCI ships leaving from Australia now charge pre paid gratuities in your final cost so you may have already paid them.

If you have My Time Dinning(MTD) then your gratuities would have been already added as they must be "Pre Paid"

Australian cruieslines now include all gratuities in the fare price so RCI Australia is adding pre paid gratuities at booking time for our convenience lol

These are reasons I'd just prefer the attendant drop off some fresh towels occasionally but otherwise stay the heck out of my room. I know I'm in the minority but the room attendants creep me out.

But it's my understanding the gratuities will show up on your ship account. If you have my time dining then they will be added to the cost of the cruise.

I can understand why you could feel that way. I've felt like that in certain hotels. I liked our last attendant though, the room was always spotless (not that we were messy).

We have family time dining, so would that be the same rule? I'm running a cash account so if I get the total of our gratuities, I will add this to the account straight away I suppose.

Your gratuities will be charged to your ship board account daily.

Its called "Auto Gratuities" so there is no need to pay "pre paid gratuities"

RCI ships leaving from Australia now charge pre paid gratuities in your final cost so you may have already paid them.

If you have My Time Dinning(MTD) then your gratuities would have been already added as they must be "Pre Paid"

Australian cruieslines now include all gratuities in the fare price so RCI Australia is adding pre paid gratuities at booking time for our convenience lol

My fare came to just over $4300 and a part of that was taxes/fees of just over $500 so it contacted them to find out if the gratuities were added into these prices but like I said, I didn't get a response.

Dining Services $6.80

Thanks for the info.We always tip room service.We don't have late night snacks.My cabin attendant will know because i will tell him/her that we tip in cash.In the words of our last dining room server on the Explorer cash is best.As for auto tips left them on our last cruise on 1/21/14.Don't need are want Royal to hand out or tip Money.Will over look the tooth brush statement.Have a great next cruise.:)

My fare came to just over $4300 and a part of that was taxes/fees of just over $500 so it contacted them to find out if the gratuities were added into these prices but like I said, I didn't get a response.

Taxes/fees are a separate line on your invoice from gratuities. So if there isn't a line item for gratuities then it wasn't and it will be added to your on board account every day.

Don't worry about things people say.Royal will take it daily twenty four dollars a day,our you can cancel it at guess service and pay cash.You pay it the way you want.Have a great next cruise.Also don,t worry about your tooth brush.

Edited by caribbean sailor

It all depends on length of cruise and number of people.

My next RCI cruise is for 14 nights so taxes and fees per person are $95.12 AU and pre paid gratuities are $159.60 AU Per person.

Total taxes and fees and pre paid gratuities on a 14 night cruise for 2 people are $509.44 AU.

Do you ever stay in a hotel?

Creeps you out seems a bit strong of a reaction to have house keeping clean your room and make your bed.:confused:

jc

Here's another quote from the OP who seems to be fixated on not prepaying tips...

"It is about the the so called upfront tips Money.Tell Royal if you can't have the dining you want you are going to cancel the cruise. Worked for us,this is a game they play."

We plan on doing our own tipping,what are the suggested gratuities per day.For Room Attendant,Dining room server,and assistance server.Could not find this enfo on the Royal wed site.all i can find is that they take the money for my convenience.:mad:

Room Attendant $15/pdpp :rolleyes:

Dining room server $25/pdpp :rolleyes:

Assistant server $10/pdpp :rolleyes:

We plan on doing our own tipping,what are the suggested gratuities per day.For Room Attendant,Dining room server,and assistance server.Could not find this enfo on the Royal wed site.all i can find is that they take the money for my convenience.:mad:

Hello Caribbean Sailor.

Like the others have said, it is policy to automatically add the tips to either:

1. Your booking statement. This is if you are doing My Time Dining. Or if you simply request it, so as to have this payment completed before you go.

OR

2. Your cabin account. This is if you are doing traditional dining. (Those are the only two choices of dining by the way. I'm not sure which "family" dining would be.

In order to do you own tipping, you will actually have to go to the guest services desk and request to have them removed. They do tend to ask you "why" you want to do this. Just so you know. The crew member also is called upon to explain why his tips were removed, putting him in an awkward position. It also leaves him wondering why himself, and as the others implied, he'll spend the rest of the week suspecting that you intend to stiff him. I'm not saying you'll get worse service, or nasty pranks, as they suggested, but I know, I wouldn't want to leave anyone feeling bad like that.

FWIW, we find it simpler and easier to just leave the tips on the cabin account. I have never had bad service, certainly never bad enough that I would feel motivated to remove them.

On the contrary, we usually feel our cabin steward and servers deserve more. While, we really cannot afford lots more, I will still put a little extra in an envelope, with a note saying, that "This is just a little additional tip to say thank you for all you've done to make our vacation wonderful." or something to that effect. ....The point of the note, is to make certain it is recognized by him, that I did indeed leave the tips in place, and that this little tips is not the whole amount.

(Last cruise I accidentally repacked the envelopes and notes that I had ready, and ended up just palming a little cash to a couple wait staff fellows, saying essentially the same thing, with small emphasis on the word "extra". They thanked us profusely.) Honestly, the staff seem even more grateful for this additional tip, than they used to be for the in person tips that we always used to give, even though those were always just a bit more than standard also.

Why go through the trouble to remove the auto tip, with that route's built in potential for misunderstanding, just to make more work for yourself.

Edited by Gayle V

Hello Caribbean Sailor.

Like the others have said, it is policy to automatically add the tips to either:

1. Your booking statement. This is if you are doing My Time Dining. Or if you simply request it, so as to have this payment completed before you go.

OR

2. Your cabin account. This is if you are doing traditional dining. (Those are the only two choices of dining by the way. I'm not sure which "family" dining would be.

In order to do you own tipping, you will actually have to go to the guest services desk and request to have them removed. They do tend to ask you "why" you want to do this. Just so you know. The crew member also is called upon to explain why his tips were removed, putting him in an awkward position. It also leaves him wondering why himself, and as the others implied, he'll spend the rest of the week suspecting that you intend to stiff him. I'm not saying you'll get worse service, or nasty pranks, as they suggested, but I know, I wouldn't want to leave anyone feeling bad like that.

FWIW, we find it simpler and easier to just leave the tips on the cabin account. I have never had bad service, certainly never bad enough that I would feel motivated to remove them.

On the contrary, we usually feel our cabin steward and servers deserve more. While, we really cannot afford lots more, I will still put a little extra in an envelope, with a note saying, that "This is just a little additional tip to say thank you for all you've done to make our vacation wonderful." or something to that effect. ....The point of the note, is to make certain it is recognized by him, that I did indeed leave the tips in place, and that this little tips is not the whole amount.

(Last cruise I accidentally repacked the envelopes and notes that I had ready, and ended up just palming a little cash to a couple wait staff fellows, saying essentially the same thing, with small emphasis on the word "extra". They thanked us profusely.) Honestly, the staff seem even more grateful for this additional tip, than they used to be for the in person tips that we always used to give, even though those were always just a bit more than standard also.

Why go through the trouble to remove the auto tip, with that route's built in potential for misunderstanding, just to make more work for yourself.

And you are free to do as you please,if you find it simpler then leave your tips on.And i am free to do as i please.I will remove mind and pay my tips in cash.You say there is a problem to remove the tips.Royal says you can remove them.No one can charge money to your account unless you agree to it.I don't see it as trouble,as soon as i board i will have them removed.Have a great next cruise.:)

Thanks for the info.We always tip room service.We don't have late night snacks.My cabin attendant will know because i will tell him/her that we tip in cash.In the words of our last dining room server on the Explorer cash is best.As for auto tips left them on our last cruise on 1/21/14.Don't need are want Royal to hand out or tip Money.Will over look the tooth brush statement.Have a great next cruise.:)

My question is how do you tip the other Housekeeping folks that clean the public toilets and other areas? They also clean your cabin on turn around day along with the cabin stewards; and, deliver and pick-up your luggage to and from your cabin. The new RCI gratuity system takes these folks into account but your plan does not seem to. :confused:

And you are free to do as you please,if you find it simpler then leave your tips on. And i am free to do as i please.I will remove mind and pay my tips in cash.You say there is a problem to remove the tips.Royal says you can remove them.No one can charge money to your account unless you agree to it.I don't see it as trouble,as soon as i board i will have them removed.Have a great next cruise.:)

You misunderstand. I don't mean trouble, like they would ever stop you. I mean you have to go, wait in (a sometimes very long) line and ask to have it done. (And like I said, they do ask why, even though you can easily say "just because." ) What I'm saying, is : To what purpose would you want to? I'm assuming you don't intend to stiff them, because doing the tipping in person was mentioned as your goal. So I just don't see what else it would accomplish ?

BTW you might ask others here who might have more personal experience doing this, if it is actually possible to do it for the whole week with one stop at the desk, as you intend. On one of our cruises with another line, our table mates were told they needed to make the request on a daily basis, which did seem to be rather unreasonable.

Edited by Gayle V