Price Protection Whoopsie

cruising_diva

Submitted price protection form this morning. Thought I was looking at savings of about $42. Turns out, the taxes and fees have increased. Now I owe $6.95.

Do I really have to pay this? Can I undo price protection? I am kicking myself because I KNEW that taxes and fees had increased. I was just too excited about the price drop. [emoji16] [emoji20]

Thanks for posting about this. I have submitted price drops and then realized the taxes/fees went up, but luckily still got something out of it. From now on, I will check fare viewer and then do a mock booking if there's been a reduction before I submit it.

Well I paid it to avoid having my booking canceled as it was due today! I emailed my PVP....we'll see if she proves to be useful. Now that you can't even call for price drops anymore I don't foresee any real opportunities to use her services. I do my own bookings online.

You can still call, but you have to do the form first, then call if denied. I'm guessing this alone is saving Carnival a ton on labor of people handling the calls. And it seems they're getting many many more approved via the form than before

Well I paid it to avoid having my booking canceled as it was due today! I emailed my PVP....we'll see if she proves to be useful. Now that you can't even call for price drops anymore I don't foresee any real opportunities to use her services. I do my own bookings online.

So you booked online which means the pvp did not get the credit and now you have emailed her over your error and plan to judge her usefulness on the matter? OK.

Okay, am I missing something?

If your taxes or port charges go up, don't you pay that whether you file anything or not? In other words, you book a year in advance and pay in full.

3 months before sailing the port charges go from $20 pp to $400 per person, don't you end paying that at some point? I can't believe Carnival would eat the increase.

If your taxes or port charges go up, don't you pay that whether you file anything or not? In other words, you book a year in advance and pay in full.

3 months before sailing the port charges go from $20 pp to $400 per person, don't you end paying that at some point? I can't believe Carnival would eat the increase.

they eat the difference if you don't make any changes.

You pay the rate which is imposed on the date you book. If you make any changes they will change to that dates rate. We recently applied for a $70 savings and ended up with $50.70 OBC. I believe some of that was the new rate for gratuities.

As many have answered you pay the rate when you book and it stays that way until you make a change,

however after many cruises I almost always get a little obc due to the fact the rates were a little lower on actual sailing day.

Carnival estimates these rates as they are paid to the varying authorities on a per person bases. So if they fill the ship over double occupancy the rate will drop.

OMG, that is a "whoopsie" all right. I certainly do hope that your PVP can fix it.....but don't have high hopes. That is why we don't use PVP's any more....try calling the 800# and they can do exactly the same stuff for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to post a follow up on this thread to let everyone know how this all worked out. After a series of emails with my PVP as well as guestsolutionssupport@carnival.com, this matter has been successfully resolved.

My PVP got back to me, and informed me that I had an increase due to the increased gratuity rate, as well as the taxes and fees. She was able to refund a little over $10, for the gratuities, but could not do anything about the increased taxes and fees.

After this, I did call the regular Carnival 800 #. I got a nice lady named Johnnie. She advised that since I had made the changes, she could not undo what I had done. I mentioned to her that since we are now forced to use the online form and not allowed to call in or get help from our PVP regarding price drops, that the online form should warn you of increases in fees and taxes, and at the very least the form should have been rejected since it was going to result in a price increase. She suggested that I email guest solutions support, and I proceeded to do so. I also submitted a "Contact Us" query on the Carnival website. I explained the situation in detail.

I initially got an email with an apology and advised that this information would be passed on to the Management Team. They also said that in the future I could contact Guest Services for price protection! HA!

I realized that my error had been that I had not stated what I felt would be a satisfactory solution to me.

I emailed back and politely requested that my $6.23 be refunded, and that my taxes and fees be adjusted to what they originally were, and that my rate be adjusted to the new rate that was available.

FINALLY, 7 days later, I get an email response back. I have my onboard credit! They adjusted my taxes and fees back to the original rate, and my room rate now reflects the currently available rate.

Yippee!

Goes to show you that sometimes polite emails where you plainly state how you would like the situation to be resolved can get you somewhere.

It was a little more than that. I got the money I had to pay after I got the price protection form confirmation back ($6.23) and now I have $35 and some change in on board credit. Like I told them, it was a matter of principle. If the rate drops but taxes and fees increase, there should be some type of protection for the customer when submitting the form. It should never result in the guest having to pay MORE money.

I always go through my PVP so she can get the credit. She is awesome! I agree why cut her down when you aren't booking cruises through her? We usually have 4 couples going together and we all use the same PVP. I wish that I could recommend her but I know I can't. She goes above and beyond EVERY time and I truly appreciate her!

Edited by rlkubi

I had the same thing happen, price dropped $50, which they gave me $50 obc for, but the new taxes and fees went up too, so I OWE $32 after the cruise was paid for in full.

I have to call my PVP today, hopefully she can get it straightened out. It is not a huge deal since we'd still come out $18 ahead, but it was a bummer to have to make another payment.

It was a little more than that. I got the money I had to pay after I got the price protection form confirmation back ($6.23) and now I have $35 and some change in on board credit. Like I told them, it was a matter of principle. If the rate drops but taxes and fees increase, there should be some type of protection for the customer when submitting the form. It should never result in the guest having to pay MORE money.

While your suggestion of how to improve the process was correct,,,,,, if it was a true matter of "principle", then you would have accepted responsibility for your mistake and eaten the $16

While your suggestion of how to improve the process was correct,,,,,, if it was a true matter of "principle", then you would have accepted responsibility for your mistake and eaten the $16

I respectfully disagree. If Carnival is going to require the use of the online price protection form, there should be a safeguard in these circumstances to prevent the guest from having to pay MORE money on a cruise that has been paid in full. Perhaps a popup with a warning of increase in taxes or fees. Or a simple rejection of the form (once submitted). I feel this is NECESSARY if Carnival is going to push the online form and discourage the use of the PVP and Guest Services for this; it puts the customer at a disadvantage of not being able to consult with someone concerning price changes.

Also, everyone jumping down my throat for my comment about letting the PVP prove her usefulness, LAY OFF. I booked this cruise before I had a PVP. Before i even knew what a PVP WAS.

My comment wasn't meant to knock the PVP - but was said more out of frustration with Carnival for taking away the option of being able to call in and speak with someone to get a price drop if it occurs.

Also, everyone jumping down my throat for my comment about letting the PVP prove her usefulness, LAY OFF. I booked this cruise before I had a PVP. Before i even knew what a PVP WAS.

My comment wasn't meant to knock the PVP - but was said more out of frustration with Carnival for taking away the option of being able to call in and speak with someone to get a price drop if it occurs.

It is still possible to call carnival directly for price drops. I did so today for a cruise next month.