Stay? ORLANDO OR PORT CANAVERAL:

montana200024

We now prefer to stay in Orlando (cheaper and more dining options) and use a one-way rental car instead of a shuttle; all of the major rental agencies are lined up in PC/Cocoa Beach and offer free shuttle service to/from the port.

Some hotels near the port, are now offering shuttle service from Airport to hotel, then to the port. The Radisson has that service, and discounts for additional people in your party.

I haven't used any shuttles recently, but there are some other threads here with shuttle suggestions. We rented a car last time, and this time we have a person in our party, using the hotel shuttle.

truthfully in blackjack terms it is a push . . .

best rate for a room? Shop it and you'll find they are comparable

more dining? How far into Orlando are you going? Close to the airport the choices are not that great ... and how far into Cocoa Beach, Cocoa or Melbourne?

IMO the biggest break point is your cruise comfort factor .... do you want to stay in Orlando and be an hour away from the port ... or stay walking distance from the ships.

I'm NOT saying this is a valid decision point; but rather it is what I observe.

My Two Cents

If arriving early and will have time to kill .... come to the beach. While some say the area is full of cheap attractions I'll just reply, "have you driven down I-drive lately?"

If your schedule is arrive, quick meal, run to the ship ..... I'd stay close to the airport.

If you have A LOT of time to kill and want to go west of the airport towards the 'destinations' ..... that's a different question ... IMO

there are dozens of shuttle companies

and check the prices on those hotel package deals ... when I add up the parts they are not a sure winner. Not BAD ..... but not a "no brainer" .. if a fan of one click and done .. you're done!

http://www.radisson.com/cape-canaveral-hotel-fl-32920/flcocoa/optional

Edited by Capt_BJ

truthfully in blackjack terms it is a push . . .

best rate for a room? Shop it and you'll find they are comparable

more dining? How far into Orlando are you going? Close to the airport the choices are not that great ... and how far into Cocoa Beach, Cocoa or Melbourne?

IMO the biggest break point is your cruise comfort factor .... do you want to stay in Orlando and be an hour away from the port ... or stay walking distance from the ships.

I'm NOT saying this is a valid decision point; but rather it is what I observe.

My Two Cents

we always fly in the day before...and we sail out of Port Canaveral...on the Liberty...does that help..hope so..we want to be near some places to shop for wine and snacks, and a choice of eateries...thanks for all your help

If arriving early and will have time to kill .... come to the beach. While some say the area is full of cheap attractions I'll just reply, "have you driven down I-drive lately?"

If your schedule is arrive, quick meal, run to the ship ..... I'd stay close to the airport.

If you have A LOT of time to kill and want to go west of the airport towards the 'destinations' ..... that's a different question ... IMO

there are dozens of shuttle companies

and check the prices on those hotel package deals ... when I add up the parts they are not a sure winner. Not BAD ..... but not a "no brainer" .. if a fan of one click and done .. you're done!

http://www.radisson.com/cape-canaveral-hotel-fl-32920/flcocoa/optional

we always fly in the day before...and we sail out of Port Canaveral...on the Liberty...does that help..hope so..we want to be near some places to shop for wine and snacks, and a choice of eateries...thanks for all your help

There are 3 restaurants by the port. Capt BJ says Grills is the better of the 3.

I'm doing fly/snooze/cruise in oct. Just didn't want to do everything seperately. Price was in the budget and let them do the transfers.

The other 2 restaurants are fishlips and Rusty's.

We recently stayed at the Residence Inn night before our Freedom cruise,,got a great deal that included parking and the hotel is so close that we took our bags to ship super early for drop off and then were able to park car at hotel, have breakfast and then cab it back to ship without schlepping all those pesky suitcases. There are some good restaurants,,we just got takeout pizza and it was great, and a Publix just down the street. To us, much better option than staying night before in Orlando.

I would say offhand that Orlando has many many more hotels and you should be able to find a lower price there. But, you could probably find something comparable in price in either place. Orlando is much bigger and has a bigger variety of restaurants. BUT, the hotels and restaurants are mostly in the opposite direction from the port. Staying on International Drive or Route 192 (lots of hotels and restaurants as an example place in Orlando) could easily add another 40 minutes to your 40 minute drive. We have tried both ways (see the review in my signature for one example), and you can find whatever level of restaurants and hotels in either place. It really comes down to where you want to be...like if you want to drive right after arriving and be close to the port in the morning, or do you want to drive less after arriving and have a longer drive in the morning.

There are 3 restaurants by the port. Capt BJ says Grills is the better of the 3.

I'm doing fly/snooze/cruise in oct. Just didn't want to do everything seperately. Price was in the budget and let them do the transfers.

The other 2 restaurants are fishlips and Rusty's.

Why is Millikens Reef always left off of the list of Cove Restaurants? I think it's a fun place to go the night before

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Why is Millikens Reef always left off of the list of Cove Restaurants?

Interesting leadin to a minor discussion of places to eat around the port . . .

I don't include Milk' in my discussions because IMO by local standards they are a wee bit more expensive and just not as popular as the 'trilogy' as I call them in the port: Rusty's, Fishlips, and Grills.

These 3 (4) are NOT the only places to eat at the port ... or within 5 miles of the port ... but they are the places that you see on the web cams or from the ships with folks waving to you as you depart . . . IME Milk' does not push the 'departure party' thing ... possibly due to their location at the west end of the channel (first place passed)

For GOOD food ... none of the places IN the port are first choice .... but they have view ... and the food is good .... consistent. For my penny, some of the BEST food in this specific area is found at the pizza joint, Kelsey's, on A1A, in front of the Radisson ..

But NO view of the water / ships / etc ... just a really good local Italian joint that's been around since the 80's

Edited by Capt_BJ