Am I getting ripped off? Frequent NCL cruiser question!

ebbie1081

Hi Everyone!

My husband and I are due to embark next month on our 7th cruise board NCL, the Boston to Bermuda sailing on the Dawn. I called my PCC last month to book and I was really disappointed. In the past when I cruised, I felt like they always gave me a little bit off the website price or some sort of free upgrade, but this time I got nothing! I paid the exact same price as I would have had I booked it through NCL, Priceline, *************., etc.

I know for some people, seven cruises is not a lot, but I guess I was just hoping NCL would throw in a little something extra. I booked an inside cabin but I was open to other kinds depending on the "deal" I could get. My PCC did mention that I should call a week prior to the cruise and perhaps they could upgrade me then, but looking at the prices for the particular sailing, they are skyrocketing!

Anyone have any stories to share about deals from PCC and/or the website? Did I get ripped off paying the "list" price as a Latitudes member? THanks in advance!

I'm sorry but I don't really understand your complaint. If you weren't happy with the rate and/or the lack of "something extra", then you simply shouldn't have booked the cruise. If the transaction was transparent (i.e., you knew what you booked and you're getting what you booked), then you're not getting "ripped off".

Hi Everyone!

My husband and I are due to embark next month on our 7th cruise board NCL, the Boston to Bermuda sailing on the Dawn. I called my PCC last month to book and I was really disappointed. In the past when I cruised, I felt like they always gave me a little bit off the website price or some sort of free upgrade, but this time I got nothing! I paid the exact same price as I would have had I booked it through NCL, Priceline, *************., etc.

I know for some people, seven cruises is not a lot, but I guess I was just hoping NCL would throw in a little something extra. I booked an inside cabin but I was open to other kinds depending on the "deal" I could get. My PCC did mention that I should call a week prior to the cruise and perhaps they could upgrade me then, but looking at the prices for the particular sailing, they are skyrocketing!

Anyone have any stories to share about deals from PCC and/or the website? Did I get ripped off paying the "list" price as a Latitudes member? THanks in advance!

Other than the latitudes tier perks you won't get anything else. You are much better using a TA that gives you OBC, wine and other perks.

You didn't get ripped off. There is no secret club... Latitudes member or not. You paid the market price.

A week or two out, the bottom can really fall out on prices as they try to fill the ship. There are often cheap upgrades to be had. I've gone from a balcony to a suite for a total cost of $400.

Hi Everyone!

I've never been given any special deals or perks for being a repeat customer (30+ Norwegian cruises) other than great service, I love my PCC. I get the best rate/promotion available at the time of booking...nothing more, nothing less. We frequently do move up close to cruise time, paying the difference in the cabin we have and the current pricing on a higher level of cabin.

Edited by Got Tequila?

We just booked our 15th. And other than latitudes benefits that we get now, the only other bennies we get is some OBC that our TA always gives us. We have, on past cruises, because of an NCL promotion which was available to anyone booking at the time, received bottles of wine, free specialty meal, and such. But never a upgrade or anything special just for us because we were a return customer.

No, you didn't get ripped off. As others have mentioned, I would use a TA. We have used the same one for over 20 years and she knows our likes and dislikes and always makes sure to give us the "extras". NCL will give you the latitudes perks depending on your latitudes level, but other than that, the price you agree to pay, is just that.

We just came off of our 10th NCL cruise today.

Hi Everyone!

Not once in all of my cruises have I ever been offered or given anything not advertised. Exception being a cake which my PCC added as I commented as we were talking about the booking that it was a celebration of my 50th birthday. I have never felt ripped off. I always got what I paid for at a price I was willing and happy to pay.

Maybe it is because I am British but I just don't get why people come on here saying they feel ripped off because they had to pay the advertised price. As I said to one of my customers I could give discounts if I increase the price for everybody else. It is a business not a charity, somewhere down the line someone has to pay or it affects the bottom line.

If you don't like the price don't pay it and look elsewhere for a "better" offer.

Your question was "Am I getting ripped off". Well no it wouldn't appear so. You would have gotten the loyalty price when you booked. I've noticed the price comes down a little when I check off past NCL guest. But you book a certain cabin and that's what you paid for. I have read on these boards about upgrade fairies, but these are few and far between. Some folk's book lower and hope to be moved up, but are generally just as happy if they don't. You just need to be sure you pick a cabin you can live with.

My PCC did mention that I should call a week prior to the cruise and perhaps they could upgrade me then, but looking at the prices for the particular sailing, they are skyrocketing!

NCL didn't rip you off if they charged you the going NCL rate for Latitude members.

Could you have gotten a better deal with a travel agent? Perhaps. Did you check before you booked if you could get a better deal elsewhere? If not, then I don't understand why you think you were ripped off for paying the listed fare.

Just be glad you booked when you did if the rates "are skyrocketing!"

I don't think you were "ripped off," but I can understand your disappointment as you've always gotten a bit more than the usual so that was your expectation. This time, it seems you got a decent deal as the costs are much higher now. Don't think about this anymore. Enjoy your trip. I understand Bermuda is lovely.

Edited by Rhea98

We always use an online TA and never book through the cruise line. Even our New Year cruise on NCL we have on board credit. For our Celebrity cruise coming up we have OBC plus all our gratuities paid by the TA (17 day cruise). It always pays to shop around. One misconception is that people say they can never reach their TA if they want to make a change. When you use an online TA you don't need to speak to the person who took your original booking, you can just call the 1 800 number and anyone on the end of the phone can make whatever change you want.

Edited by Theodorable

Hi Everyone!

Wow, really? You paid the going rate and you think you were ripped off? As an FYI, the phrase "ripped off" means to not get what you paid for. Is this happening??? NO. :rolleyes:

BTW, your PCC works for NCL so the prices should be exactly the same, whether from your PCC or NCL (because they are one and the same).

Hi Everyone!

Possibly if you call back and ask to pay for an upgrade, they might give you a little something for paying more for your cruise.