Caviar? What's the Procedure?

Carolfay

As a former Seabourn cruiser and a future Seabourn cruiser, I've heard a fair bit about caviar on board. On my previous cruise, however, the caviar seemed to escape me. I think I only saw some once, and I was too late to the party to indulge. My question to Seabourn veterans is, How do I take advantage of this opportunity? What are the ground rules? I'm not a true connoisseur, but I do like the stuff and would like to enjoy some on my upcoming cruise - so what do I need to know in advance? Thanks - Carol

In my experience, the procedure is...

* find any person you might normally ask to order you a nibble

* request caviar

* enjoy caviar

* repeat when urge strikes

I have had en suite with a cocktail while getting ready for dinner, with drinks in the Observation Bar, poolside, in The Club.

Ask and ye shall receive.

There is nothing quite so extravagant as having champagne and caviar brought to you in the hot tub.

Everyone has to do it once in life :)

Henry :)

And it only took the maintenance team two days to clear the caviar and Melba toast from the hot tub pump.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Don't want to be a kill-joy, but think it is best if most of the ship does not order caviar ad lib all day long - it used to be included on Seadream, until some idiotic people took huge advantage and half the ship was eating (or wasting) it all the time. Now no longer included on a order when you want basis, and I believe only free on the occasional special cocktail event.

Don't want to be a kill-joy, but think it is best if most of the ship does not order caviar ad lib all day long - it used to be included on Seadream, until some idiotic people took huge advantage and half the ship was eating (or wasting) it all the time. Now no longer included on a order when you want basis, and I believe only free on the occasional special cocktail event.

On Sojourn the ship was not awash with caviar but if you wanted it all you had to do was ask.

As a Christmas day treat I didn't feel guilty and will be doing the same this year.

There were a couple of people who would have their daily platter but only in the same way some drink more than others. It all evens it's self out. There will be a lot of guests who didn't consume any at all.

In fact the only time I saw caviar being dished out with any extravagance was at the caviar in the surf function held poolside, but thats Seabourn's choice.

I think restrained consumption would be applicable to all aspects of our cruise last year. No one was ordering drinks then wasting them, ditto coffee, food, ice cream and so on. It's not reflective of any better class of cruiser, more the fact that you know it's there if you want it so feel no pressure to "get it whilst you can".

The other thing to keep in mind is that Carnival corporation's buying power is incredible. I think I'm right in saying 106 ships and around 200,000 passengers a week. From a Seabourn passenger's perspective the perceived value is immense when you multiply a bit more money per passenger by that buying power.

Even Mr Luxury can't buy cheaper caviar for Luxury Towers than Carnival corp :)

Henry :)

Edited by Able Seaman H

Abe seaman H - obviously I agree with you.So far we have never seen the supply of caviar abused on Seabourn, but we were on the fatal cruise on Seadream when a huge amount was requested,and I would hate to see the same thing happen on SB. Apparently it was the cruise from hell for the staff. Occasionally there will be a couple who have caviar delivered to the Club bar each evening at 6.30, which is fine, but occasionally we have noticed that then 'everyone' wants to join in. Depends on the passengers on board at the time. Just sayin'.

Great. Can you tell me how it is served when it is ordered from room service? My husband won't touch it so I will just happily eat his portion.

Generally it is served chilled on ice with Melba toast and chopped shallot,sour cream,egg white and yolk.

I prefer to have it with blinis and ask the chef to make them fresh for me,I of course give him a days notice and only have it maybe twice on a cruise.

I sometimes have a caviar omelette for breakfast but rarely.

Edited by Mr Luxury

Black river caviar from sustainable source

http://www.blackrivercaviar.com

That would be dated information. Recent cruise was Ossetra from Uruguay through a distributor in Florida. Much preferred to the jars of Ossetra and Beluga purchased in Russia. In a distant fifth place would be the Sevruga dished out sparingly in QG on Cunard.

Caviar tip for home consumption: Costco....Ossetra can be ordered online.

That would be dated information. Recent cruise was Ossetra from Uruguay through a distributor in Florida. Much preferred to the jars of Ossetra and Beluga purchased in Russia. In a distant fifth place would be the Sevruga dished out sparingly in QG on Cunard.

Caviar tip for home consumption: Costco....Ossetra can be ordered online.

The information is current.

Black river caviar is produced in Uraguay and is Ossetra

The company has done an exclusive deal with Seabourn for a while now,it is well documented on Seabourns blog.

It is sustainable also which is the main reason for Seabourn doing the deal with Black River

Edited by Mr Luxury

Enjoy the caviar on your cruise, it is a real pleasure to have this amenity on Seabourn. Please, however, do not abuse this treat. It would be a real shame if it were to go away with the other cutbacks (MDR closed at lunch for example).

I know this has happened on some recent short cruises on some ships, but the MDR was open every day on my 12 & 15 day back to back cruise on Legend I have just completed. :) The cruises were both quite Port intensive as well.

Julie

Edited by frantic36

We had a slight problem in the MDR at lunch one day (the kitchen managed to lose our order but wouldn't admit this to our very concerned waiter until the Restaurant Manager intervened which resulted in a significant delay in receiving our food. We found this somewhat irritating, but the RM ensure that we had very speedy service for the rest of the meal, and apologised profusely. That, as far as we were concerned, was that.

But not so for Seabourn. By the time we walked straight back to our suite, only one deck away, there was a bottle of chilled champagne and a dish with caviar, sour cream, melba toast, egg (white and yolk) and shallot, beautifully presented, with a note apologising (again). Of course, having just had lunch, we were far to full to tackle it then, but we popped the perishable bits in the fridge and enjoyed great pre-dinner nibbles in our suite that evening :)

As a former Seabourn cruiser and a future Seabourn cruiser, I've heard a fair bit about caviar on board. On my previous cruise, however, the caviar seemed to escape me. I think I only saw some once, and I was too late to the party to indulge. My question to Seabourn veterans is, How do I take advantage of this opportunity? What are the ground rules? I'm not a true connoisseur, but I do like the stuff and would like to enjoy some on my upcoming cruise - so what do I need to know in advance? Thanks - Carol

Ask whenever you want. If the kitchen staff is as obtuse as on the Prides final two cruises it might take about three extra minutes (this is wrt a standing order).