2way radios

Vacation_on

Luckiest Dog likes radios, Leaveitall doesn't. Nothing I say will change their opinions, but I would like to add some facts for the OP, to those facts, not opinions, that I've already posted.

I looked at the website, and the user's manual for the MR350R that LD likes. Interestingly, nowhere does it mention the power rating of the equipment. That is one of the key specifications for commercial radios, and since the MR350R uses AA batteries, it is a 1/2 watt radio, also considering that this is what the FCC limits these radios to. Now, if you look at the video that Motorola has about maximizing the range, they say, correctly, that power does not increase range, but it does improve coverage within that range. So a 5 watt commercial radio will have 10 times the ability to "burn" through metal obstructions and receive clear calls than the 1/2 watt radio. One thing that Motorola mentions in the video that limits range is "electromagnetic interference", but they don't go into any detail about how to mitigate it. When on a cruise ship, not only will the steel of the ship's structure act as impermeable obstructions to radio waves, but the miles and miles of electrical cable running in the ceilings will create great gobs of electromagnetic interference.

While some have had good results with smaller radios, this all depends on the ship, the relative positions of the radios, the presence of open doorways, atmospherics, and the person's expectations in using the radio, many have not had good results, and perhaps those who have had good results have also had days of poor results.

Having worked on ships for 40 years, I know what works as far as radio communication onboard, and what doesn't. If the ships could get by with $50 FRS radios, believe me they would, rather than pay $400 a copy for 100 or more radios to get 5 watt UHF radios that actually work.

Take a radio or not, it's your cruise. But please, as LD says, don't use the ring tone, and don't shout into the radio, it only distorts the signal more, and won't make the transmission go further. It will only annoy others.

Proof? With that logic, going on a cruise is not fun, since the majority of the population do not go on them.

I said nothing about fun. I said that the value of 2-way radios is minimal for the majority of cruisers, otherwise they would all have them. Your example that the majority of the population do not go on cruises proves my point. The majority in your example believe that taking a cruise has minimal value to them, so they "do not go on them". The same applies to 2-way radios - the majority see minimal value in them.

Thanks so much for proving my point.

Edited by fortinweb

Luckiest Dog likes radios, Leaveitall doesn't. Nothing I say will change their opinions, but I would like to add some facts for the OP, to those facts, not opinions, that I've already posted.

I looked at the website, and the user's manual for the MR350R that LD likes. Interestingly, nowhere does it mention the power rating of the equipment. That is one of the key specifications for commercial radios, and since the MR350R uses AA batteries, it is a 1/2 watt radio, also considering that this is what the FCC limits these radios to. Now, if you look at the video that Motorola has about maximizing the range, they say, correctly, that power does not increase range, but it does improve coverage within that range. So a 5 watt commercial radio will have 10 times the ability to "burn" through metal obstructions and receive clear calls than the 1/2 watt radio. One thing that Motorola mentions in the video that limits range is "electromagnetic interference", but they don't go into any detail about how to mitigate it. When on a cruise ship, not only will the steel of the ship's structure act as impermeable obstructions to radio waves, but the miles and miles of electrical cable running in the ceilings will create great gobs of electromagnetic interference.

While some have had good results with smaller radios, this all depends on the ship, the relative positions of the radios, the presence of open doorways, atmospherics, and the person's expectations in using the radio, many have not had good results, and perhaps those who have had good results have also had days of poor results.

Having worked on ships for 40 years, I know what works as far as radio communication onboard, and what doesn't. If the ships could get by with $50 FRS radios, believe me they would, rather than pay $400 a copy for 100 or more radios to get 5 watt UHF radios that actually work.

Take a radio or not, it's your cruise. But please, as LD says, don't use the ring tone, and don't shout into the radio, it only distorts the signal more, and won't make the transmission go further. It will only annoy others.

Finally the proper and informed answer on the subject!

Thanks for your consistently accurate responses to often misinterpreted subjects.

I said nothing about fun. I said that the value of 2-way radios is minimal for the majority of cruisers, otherwise they would all have them. Your example that the majority of the population do not go on cruises proves my point. The majority in your example believe that taking a cruise has minimal value to them, so they "do not go on them". The same applies to 2-way radios - the majority see minimal value in them.

Thanks so much for proving my point.

I do agree with your statement, the value of using them brings minimal value for the majority of cruisers. However, the comment you quote me on was not for your post, but for swsfrail who says PROOF that radios must NOT WORK well because most people do not use them.

This is a simple topic. People use 2-way radios with success for their needs and the original poster was asking about models people use. I think it is legitimate to offer opinions of experience good or bad so the OP is prepared about the limitations. Those who respond that they flat out do not work, because they personally do not like the chirping or do not think they are necessary (use house phone, post-it's, or meet at dinner the previous day) is where I was trying to help the original poster.

Thanks to all! Since we are a group of adults with different interests, some with kids, we're going to be spread around. This particular trip has a total of 3 at sea days. The intention is to "check in" and "where are you" and not have long conversations.

In theory your idea is fine. BUT, what if someone is in an area where walkie talkies would be intrusive? No one wants to hear those things crackling while in a dining room, or at a lecture, or in an entertainment venue. It doesn't matter how short the conversation is, from my experience all you hear is " Where are you? I can't hear you. Say again. Where are you going???"

And do NOT take them off the ship as they are illegal in many ports because they share frequencies with police, military and emergency responders.

If they were such a great idea and worked so well, you would see many more people with them. That the vast majority do not is proof that their value on a cruise ship is minimal at best. Only the people obsessed with "got to stay in contact" think they are worthwhile. For my family, being on vacation always meant being able to have fun without being tethered to each other. If you need to stay in contact 24/7, something is wrong with the dynamics of the family. The only exception I can think of is to stay in contact with someone with a medical, physical or mental issue that needs to be watched. And in those cases it is better to stay together than rely on a radio.

So in agreement with you. If your family wants to be together, then be together. Otherwise set a mutually agreed time to meet.

Just a question for LuckiestDog:

Have you applied for the FCC license that is required to use the GMRS frequencies on your radios, as clearly stated in the owner's manual? Or are you limiting your usage to channels 8-14, which are the FRS only channels?

However, the comment you quote me on was not for your post, but for swsfrail ....

Well, that's certainly embarrassing! :eek: I saw my name a couple of times in your post and just assumed I had said that as well. My apologies to swsfrail for accidentally "plagiarizing" her comments. My excuse? I agree with her sentiment so much it feels like my own! :D

I'm now standing in a corner for 15 minutes as my penance.

kid-in-corner.jpg

Edited by fortinweb

Have you applied for the FCC license that is required to use the GMRS frequencies on your radios, as clearly stated in the owner's manual? Or are you limiting your usage to channels 8-14, which are the FRS only channels?

We use channel 8 exclusively as we never have any other traffic on that channel.

SSSSSSSSSSSSSKKKKKKKKKKKKKKSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KKKKKKHHHHHHHHHrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrkkkkkkKKKKKKKK!

WHAT!!!

WHO!!!!!!!!!??????

No! Not YOU!!!!!

Get off this channel!!!!

NO!!!!!

SSSSSKKKKCCCCCCCCCCCREEEEEEEEEEECHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

NO! WE use it! YOU switch!!!!!!!

MOM!!!!!!!!

SSSSSSSHHKKKKKKKKKKKKRRRKK!!!!!!

What?

No! No!

Who?

No, not you!!!!!!!

Oh Hi Mom. Were you standing next to me all the time?

They work line-of-sight.

So do semaphore flags.

You need to talk to someone......go find them.

So in agreement with you. If your family wants to be together' date=' then be together. Otherwise set a mutually agreed time to meet.[/quote']

Aren't you the one who preaches that the dress code on formal night is what ever you want it to be because "it's my vacation"? It seems now a vacation can only be you say it is.

I personally have never had trouble with families using radios to stay in touch. I say go for it because as some here have said on other threads, it's your vacation.

Burt

Do people actually apply for a license to operate on those frequencies. :D:D

What a joke. :rolleyes:

Do people actually apply for a license to operate on those frequencies. :D:D

What a joke. :rolleyes:

I doubt it, but just think, if Motorola got the list of people who bought the radios and compared it with the licenses issued, we could possibly balance the federal budget.:eek:

Aren't you the one who preaches that the dress code on formal night is what ever you want it to be because "it's my vacation"? It seems now a vacation can only be you say it is.

I personally have never had trouble with families using radios to stay in touch. I say go for it because as some here have said on other threads, it's your vacation.

Burt

I have never used the "it's my vacation" line and we do dress on formal nights -- even though for me it's a cocktail dress and for my hubby it's a suit. So maybe you should double check things before posting.