first cruise

manandaj

Hello!

I've been perusing the boards for awhile now, and finally decided to post. I am going on my first cruise in November on the Carnival Glory to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Belize, and Mahogany Bay. My boyfriend is a veteran cruiser. We are planning on doing two excursions: Altun Ha in Belize and Turtle Farm, Hell, and Stingray Sandbar in Grand Cayman.

I've been looking at the excursions on Carnival and have been trying to find identical ones through private tour groups. I've read numerous times on here that private groups are better, but my boyfriend would prefer going through Carnival. One of my questions: has anyone been successful in getting a price match through Carnival if we find the exact excursions through a private tour? I think I have found identical tours, but my boyfriend says that everything has to be the same (times, stops, etc.).

Also, I have read a lot of information about pre-tanning or not. What do you suggest? I was thinking of just loading up on sunscreen, since I am fair skinned. I also have a sun hat and cover-ups.

Also, in Cozumel, what do you suggest doing in port? We are not doing an excursion here, and I am curious what other people enjoy doing in Cozumel.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I have not heard of a cruise line price matching a private tour. You may not be aware that private tours can take many forms- from just the two of you, to a small group- like less than 10, to a standard 45 or so pax bus. I don't think Carnival offers that many different types of tours, so price matching would be difficult. The best place for that question would be on the Carnival board.

The Ports boards will give you a lot of info about private tours in your ports. The Caribbean has some private tour venders, but the Caribbean is not like the Med, or other areas where there are huge numbers of tour venders.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

As far as I am concerned, ship excursions have two major advantages. One - they are easy. You don't have to worry about investigating companies, perhaps trying to find others to join you, etc. Two - the ship will wait for you if your excursion is late returning.

I have two major advantages for private excursions. One - small groups, usually 2-15. Two - your itinerary can usually be customized.

Check out the customer ratings on TripAdvisor for reputable tour companies.

I have never heard of any cruise line with a price match on excursions. They make a lot of money on the mark-up.

If your thoughts of pre-tanning would include a tanning bed - don't do it! You are better with the sunscreen and hat.

Hope you have a wonderful first cruise!

You're to be commended in trying to come up with some less expensive private tours but since this is your first cruise and your boyfriend is more comfortable doing the Carnival ones I'd go along with him this time. Sure, you can save some money but he obviously likes the ease and security of doing them through Carnival. JMO, but I'd wait until you've experienced your first cruise to branch out on the private tours.

Hello!

I've been perusing the boards for awhile now, and finally decided to post. I am going on my first cruise in November on the Carnival Glory to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Belize, and Mahogany Bay. My boyfriend is a veteran cruiser. We are planning on doing two excursions: Altun Ha in Belize and Turtle Farm, Hell, and Stingray Sandbar in Grand Cayman.

I've been looking at the excursions on Carnival and have been trying to find identical ones through private tour groups. I've read numerous times on here that private groups are better, but my boyfriend would prefer going through Carnival. One of my questions: has anyone been successful in getting a price match through Carnival if we find the exact excursions through a private tour? I think I have found identical tours, but my boyfriend says that everything has to be the same (times, stops, etc.).

Also, I have read a lot of information about pre-tanning or not. What do you suggest? I was thinking of just loading up on sunscreen, since I am fair skinned. I also have a sun hat and cover-ups.

Also, in Cozumel, what do you suggest doing in port? We are not doing an excursion here, and I am curious what other people enjoy doing in Cozumel.

You can also consider checking other companies that offer shore excursions, like Shore Excursion Group or Viator. They offer many of the same excursions as the ship, and our discounted.

According to the Carnival website, they do match prices on shore excursions. I am sure that you have to book the SAME EXACT excursion that they offer. The slightest deviation from their description and I am sure they will say that any cheaper tour you find is not comparable.

We have booked with private companies, through Shore Excursions group, and with the cruise company. There are pros and cons for each approach.

For ease and convenience, going through Carnival might make sense for this first cruise.

In Grand Cayman, definitely check out an island tour that includes Hell and the Turtle Farms. We also like Playa Mia in Cozumel, although we know here at Cruise Critic there is an ongoing debate about this beach with lovers and hater of this resort. :rolleyes:

Do sign up for the roll call and meet your fellow cruisers pre cruise.

Oh, and have a great time!

Hi everyone. I have another question: hair dryers. How are they on the Glory? I would like to not have to bring my hair dryer, just extra weight and room that I could do without, but I need to dry my hair. Are the dryers ok? I have medium thickness/length hair.

Hi everyone. I have another question: hair dryers. How are they on the Glory? I would like to not have to bring my hair dryer, just extra weight and room that I could do without, but I need to dry my hair. Are the dryers ok? I have medium thickness/length hair.

Also, is the shampoo like hotel shampoo or worse?

These questions are probably better researched on the Carnival board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215

The hair dryers are small and it takes just a little more time than normal to dry your hair. No big deal. They do have shampoo. I have pretty basic hair but I still brought my own S and Conditioner. We were also terrified of missing the ship b/c of a tour from anouther company. But, we did go on a tour in Cayman that was great and worth the $20. You walk out the pier and there are tours offered every where. We had a group of about 20 people. It took us to Hell, The dolphin place, the rum cake place, and the beach. Just enough time at each stop. They have diff. ones that you can pick what 3 or 4 or 5 places you want to go. We got back from the tour and walked around the pier and shopped. Still got back to the ship with over an hour to spare. Have fun

Hello!

Check with your TA for a price match, you can also Google activities and the cost.

Use a lot of sun screen the weather is hot.