Caribbean Princess Sept 6-13, 2014- Brown water in cabin?

fl.princess

My husband and I were on the Caribbean Princess last week to the W. Caribbean. We had a fantastic week!

This was our 2nd time on the Caribbean Princess and having read other posts on likes/dislikes I have not seen this one and wondered if anyone else experienced this. We had brown water in our cabin every day until we ran the water for a bit to move it out of the lines. We asked our cabin steward about it right away and we were told that they clean out the lines with bleach and that this is common and to just run the water for awhile until it's clear. Well, this happened every day! I also noticed a smell from the shower on the first few days, but either it disappeared or I got used to the smell. We have never had this before on prior cruises.

Other than that, we felt the ship was in great shape and no complaints otherwise.

Anyone else experience brown water? Our cabin was an interior cabin on Deck 10.

Edited by fl.princess
edit title

My husband and I were on the Caribbean Princess last week to the W. Caribbean. We had a fantastic week!

This was our 2nd time on the Caribbean Princess and having read other posts on likes/dislikes I have not seen this one and wondered if anyone else experienced this. We had brown water in our cabin every day until we ran the water for a bit to move it out of the lines. We asked our cabin steward about it right away and we were told that they clean out the lines with bleach and that this is common and to just run the water for awhile until it's clear. Well, this happened every day! I also noticed a smell from the shower on the first few days, but either it disappeared or I got used to the smell. We have never had this before on prior cruises.

Other than that, we felt the ship was in great shape and no complaints otherwise.

Anyone else experience brown water? Our cabin was an interior cabin on Deck 10.

Uh oh that's where I'll be located. Was that mid-ship? :eek:

Cabin was C511. We never thought to ask others if they experienced the same.

We were in cabin C714 on the 01 September 2014 cruise and we never experienced any issues with the water system.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by ltcal94

It is common after a system flush as sediment stops in the lines. That said, shouldn't have been daily, there was probably a clogged filter in that area.

There aren't any local filters once the water leaves the engine room. What a persistent brown water usually means is that the "rehardening" filter needs backflushing. This is a large filter that takes all the water from the water makers and passes it through a sand filter to remove metallic particles (rust) from the metal pipes in the engine room, and also passes the water through calcium carbonate (think Tums) which is designed to neutralize the slightly acidic nature of distilled water, before the water goes into the tanks. The chlorine that circulates with the water tends to build up a scale on the inside of the pipes, and when a section of piping is shut down for repair, the scale dries out and breaks off. When the water service is restored, this can cause a white discoloration of the water, but again, usually clears up quickly.

I've had brown water a whole transatlantic long on Queen Mary 2, it had flakes and stuff in it which settled mostly as sediment given a day in a glass, it was nasty and I complained.

All they did was bring a jug of water for facewashing etc and we used the pool showers to shower as it came out of all the freshwater faucets.

They claimed it was after they changed over tanks, and that it was perfectly OK water for any purpose.

However the people on reception refused to drink the glass I brought them down as a sample.Can't say I blame them.

I wrote complaining to Cunard and after 3 tries over 6 months eventually received a standard letter reply which did not really address the issue.

I haven't spent much with them since, not that they would care.

I hope the water is safe? No Ecoli or anything!

The water is perfectly safe. The USPH mandates that there be residual chlorine in the water at the farthest point from the chlorination point (the engine room), which is usually monitored on the bridge. This is unlike your local water supply, where they disinfect the water (chlorination, bromination, or UV) at the source, and then there is no control over the water once it is in the pipes through your town to your house. Ship's water is constantly recirculated, not sitting in pipes waiting for use, so the chlorination is constantly monitored and dosed.

Further, USPH requires that the water in each water tank, and from 20 random sources around the ship (sinks, showers, galley, ice makers, etc) be tested monthly for bacteria. These results must be kept for review by USPH when they make their inspections.

We were on the Grand for 30 days and had brown water for 2 weeks out of the 4. Complained to front desk the first day, after we just walked 1 hour and were definitely in need of bathing before dinner and I told her this and she said, honey, don't worry, you can still go to the dining room! Our room steward told us this happens and you have to run the water a long time for it to clear.

We were on the Grand for 30 days and had brown water for 2 weeks out of the 4. Complained to front desk the first day, after we just walked 1 hour and were definitely in need of bathing before dinner and I told her this and she said, honey, don't worry, you can still go to the dining room! Our room steward told us this happens and you have to run the water a long time for it to clear.

That's horrible! We didn't have to run the water too long for it to clear, but it still made me wonder how clean the water is!

• 1 month later...
I've had brown water a whole transatlantic long on Queen Mary 2, it had flakes and stuff in it which settled mostly as sediment given a day in a glass, it was nasty and I complained.

All they did was bring a jug of water for facewashing etc and we used the pool showers to shower as it came out of all the freshwater faucets.

They claimed it was after they changed over tanks, and that it was perfectly OK water for any purpose.

However the people on reception refused to drink the glass I brought them down as a sample.Can't say I blame them.

I wrote complaining to Cunard and after 3 tries over 6 months eventually received a standard letter reply which did not really address the issue.

I haven't spent much with them since, not that they would care.

We've had brown water a couple of times on different cruise lines. I Can understand the reception people not wanting to drink the brown water when someone brings it to them... or even a glass of clear looking water someone brings them. :):):):)