Where is best place to buy maple syrup and what type to buy?

Personally I'm all about the darker grades - if you really like the taste, why not max out on it? It's also much harder to find these in supermarkets, which as already mentioned above tend to carry Light or Medium at most (both of which, plus extra Light, fall under Canada No 1 Grade). I used to buy a couple of litres direct from local sugar shacks when I lived in Ontario - out West I have to settle for small bottles of pricey organic syrup to get anything above #1 Medium as it's just such a small % of market share.

Different grading systems are used provincially in both Quebec and Ontario than the federal version, and of course the US has different grades too (I think Vermont also uses their own) so it can get difficult - anywhere you might consider buying it on a cruise stop should offer samples; walk away if they don't as you WILL be paying a premium over supermarket pricing.

If #1 Light is maple-y enough for you - buy the litre jugs in Costco, end of story. Nobody else even comes close to their pricing.

If you're hitting up Nova Scotia, there's been a bit of a resurgence in more obscure syrups as they simply can't come close to Quebec/Ontario's dominance of the maple market - I've had some excellent Birch in the past. Jost's Maple 'wine' also makes for a wonderful digestif or to accompany creme brulee and other custard dishes.

Nova Scotia and Quebec have maple syrup industries. On your way to Peggy's Cove near Halifax you can stop at Acadian Maple Products: http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g2413221-d4541931-Reviews-Acadian_Maple_Products-Tantallon_Halifax_Regional_Municipality_Nova_Scotia.html

Hi Maryann - where in NS are you? We are in Dartmouth. You always give great advice to the Halifax port cruisers.

Acadian has super maple products!

Martin, Sam's Club sell a brand called Uncle Luke's which which comes from Granby, Quebec, is labeled as US Amber Dark ..... go figure and is sold in their stores at the same price as Costco's Kirkland product......I just looked at the jug in the fridge that we had left over in AZ last winter and brought home. Actually we have both the Costco and Sam's product in the fridge and am inspired to give them the taste test.

Martin, Sam's Club sell a brand called Uncle Luke's which which comes from Granby, Quebec, is labeled as US Amber Dark ..... go figure and is sold in their stores at the same price as Costco's Kirkland product......I just looked at the jug in the fridge that we had left over in AZ last winter and brought home. Actually we have both the Costco and Sam's product in the fridge and am inspired to give them the taste test.

Thanks for that tip PD - I'll need to check it out. If it's dark enough for me that should be about a third the price I currently pay!