Just completed dining room reservations.

DrJW

If you indeed are flexible, particularly regarding eating at 6:30 PM or 9 PM, you should have no trouble getting additional reservations while onboard. An excellent opportunity is provided whenever the ship leaves a port late (let's say 8 PM rather than the usual 6 PM).

We enjoyed a second visit to Jacques in May by dining at 6:30 PM while in Civitavecchia.

I agree with all the posts about getting additional specialty reservations once onboard. However, when I did ask the first night for additional nights I was told to wait for a few days to give those who didn't reserve any specialties a chance to reserve theirs. I got my extra night by going directly to the restaurant to see if they had any openings. While successful in Jacques, I couldn't get a second in Toscano. It also depends on the length of the cruise and how full the ship is.

StandandJim, I'm sure that your comments are with the best of intentions, but perhaps re-read the posts a bit more carefully before posting non-sequiturs in response? Just a thought...

I'm not sure how you have these threads displayed on your computer, as there are several possible variations, but I believe that you must be confusing my responses with those of other people...

My posts are among the lengthiest, dare I say comprehensive?, that you will find in the Oceania Forum, and more often than not contain photographs to illustrate my point.

To be specific, Stanandjim, you clearly misread Hypercafe's comment about limited web specialty reservations, despite quoting it verbatim, as applying to onboard reservations (it did not, and you unnecessarily lectured Hypercafe about it in bold print) after responding to my entirely accurate comment that caviar is served during Sunday brunch onboard by stating that not every cruise has a Sunday brunch. Both comments were non sequiturs.

Yes, your comments on CC tend to be among the best informed, so these uncharacteristic posts were surprising. Just intended as a suggestion.

I agree with all the posts about getting additional specialty reservations once onboard. However, when I did ask the first night for additional nights I was told to wait for a few days to give those who didn't reserve any specialties a chance to reserve theirs. I got my extra night by going directly to the restaurant to see if they had any openings. While successful in Jacques, I couldn't get a second in Toscano. It also depends on the length of the cruise and how full the ship is.

Agree with "you may have to wait a day or 2 before the reservation desk will take requests for additional reservations in the specialty restaurants." They do check the computer by stateroom number to see what reservations you already have. Happened on our Aug. 21 Baltic cruise on Marina, the reservation person (desk on deck 5) on the first and 2nd day said they still had people that had not made reservations. But on day 3 and onward, we were able to get seating even as late as 4PM in the afternoon for dining that evening. Our request was for a table for 4- not 2 dining alone.

Jacques has Terrine de Foie Gras de Canard à la Gelée de Coing (Duck Foie Gras Terrine with Quince Jelly and Toasted Brioche) &

Escalope de Foie Gras Crue aux Artichauts (Artichoke Salad over Thinly Sliced Foie Gras with Périgord Black Truffle Vinaigrette)

Polo has a sautéed foie gras (small) on top of a steak(?) - although I no longer see it on the menu. Also has Warm Foie Gras and Mushrooms Bundled in Short Crust Dough, Served with

Port Wine Reduction (copied from website) as an appetizer.

Pardon my drooling.........;)

On our last (and only) cruise on the Marnia we ate 14 nights out of 16 in the specialty restaurants.

We stay up late, so we would show up after the crowd left.

didn't have a problem at all.....

The last seatings are at 9pm or 9:30 if you push it, and the restaurants are almost always fully booked through that time, so if you did manage to do it that way...I would suggest that you chalk it up to luck....:cool: