Internet on Quest

tjones62

I will be on the Quest in a couple of weeks and will have to check work e-mails. From everything I have read, the wi-fi connection is poor. Will it be a waste of money to purchase an Internet package? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are on the same cruise. In the past we have not had any problems using the wifi in our cabin (may depend on the location). It is much slower than at home but (and I am probably jinxing it) we have not had any issues logging in or staying on. The cruise is quickly approaching!

Although no one would argue that the WiFi system is state-of-the-art, I have used it successfully to remain in touch with my clients.

Being of a frugal nature in terms of money and time, I use it when most people are still sleeping (we are early risers), when most are on shore on tours etc., or at dinner time.

As Phil (excitedofharpenden) suggested on another thread, I also download emails, sign out, respond to them while offline (using "Notes" on our iPad), and then sign in to send my replies/suggestions. All of this ensures that we never exceed our minutes that are presently complimentary.

Crzrz and Spursgirl make an excellent point that speed varies in some staterooms, and public places such as Mosaic and the Internet service centre provide the best signal. This is no different than our experience in hotels.

If all else fails, the staff (servers etc.), are excellent sources as to WiFi service in the ports.

We are on the same cruise. In the past we have not had any problems using the wifi in our cabin (may depend on the location). It is much slower than at home but (and I am probably jinxing it) we have not had any issues logging in or staying on. The cruise is quickly approaching!

Thanks! I've started organizing/packing just a bit to see what I am missing.

I had problems on both ships in cabin but not forward on ship. Many terminals have good wifi until all the crew show up. Like the ship's signal it gets over used too. I tend to use it in bars in town..yes, it tajes from sightseeing but it works great to send pictures.

I will be on the Quest in a couple of weeks and will have to check work e-mails. From everything I have read, the wi-fi connection is poor. Will it be a waste of money to purchase an Internet package? Thanks.

Hi Tjones,

I found the internet to be pretty weak, both on Journey and Quest. While you can save money buying a package - I'd highly recommend asking the Internet folks onboard, what their policy is, in offering refunds and/or extra minutes, when purchasing a package. If they are willing to work with you - then I'd go for it. If you receive a less than satisfactory answer, I'd go a la carte for a day or two, and see how it works for you, before making a larger purchase.

I hope this is helpful, and have a wonderful cruise !

Hi Tjones,

I found the internet to be pretty weak, both on Journey and Quest. While you can save money buying a package - I'd highly recommend asking the Internet folks onboard, what their policy is, in offering refunds and/or extra minutes, when purchasing a package. If they are willing to work with you - then I'd go for it. If you receive a less than satisfactory answer, I'd go a la carte for a day or two, and see how it works for you, before making a larger purchase.

I hope this is helpful, and have a wonderful cruise !

Thanks for the feedback. This is certainly something to think about.

I am looking forward to my annual getaway. This will be my third Med cruise in three years. I did not think I would like cruising but am now hooked!

Edited by tjones62

Thanks for the feedback. This is certainly something to think about.

I am looking forward to my annual getaway. This will be my third Med cruise in three years. I did not think I would like cruising but am now hooked!

Hooked ? Aren't we all ? :) Have a wonderful time !

I just came back from two weeks with Quest in The Black Sea and The Greek Islands. The Internet was horrible. I usually use 2 hours a week on the net, this time I had to spend 8 hours. I managed to get by with the free minutes; if I had to pay, I would have complained - strongly. This is especially disappointing since other ships sailing in the same area have acceptable connections.

Several times the system would not respond to my logging out, and I had to go up to the e-connection. Obviously the minutes were running until the server accepted the logout.

I just came back from two weeks with Quest in The Black Sea and The Greek Islands. The Internet was horrible. I usually use 2 hours a week on the net, this time I had to spend 8 hours. I managed to get by with the free minutes; if I had to pay, I would have complained - strongly. This is especially disappointing since other ships sailing in the same area have acceptable connections.

Several times the system would not respond to my logging out, and I had to go up to the e-connection. Obviously the minutes were running until the server accepted the logout.

Thanks for the report.

As i said days ago I gave up...I did not use most of my minutes on the second cruise.. the internet never works in my cabin but does forward most of the time.. one day i was getting a massge and just got on and made her wait so i could read everything fast. answered and then had my massage. not sure what i will do about it this winter as i will not pay for extra slow.

To be honest I've always found it to be fine on both ships, both in the stateroom and on deck. If there has been a problem, its usually been at sea when everyone is on board trying to do the same. OK sometimes it's slow, but that can be for any number of reasons, including those out of control of the ship, remember this is a satellite connection, not broadband or cable as at home.

We use our iPads these days and once they are set up properly with the help of the internet manager we have no problems logging in or out - the tip is always to have 'logoff.com' as a bookmark or open in a browser page to make sure you logoff easily - more important next year if there are no free minutes!

Don't forget, it is a limited bandwidth so pictures which are notoriously memory hungry will take time to upload unless you break them down to web friendly size. As Ellbon has said, shore based wifi is much better for this. It also helps if you construct your email offline and just logon to send them.

Hope this helps - it's really not as bad as this thread makes out, just don't expect it to be as quick or reliable as at home or on shore

:)

Edited by mara01

I am prepared to be offline on sea days and to use local wi-fi onshore. My typical use of Internet (wi-fi or cellular) is during arrival into ports so I can go through e-mail before excursions. I am also looking forward to retirement some day when this is no longer a concern!

Hope this helps - it's really not as bad as this thread makes out, just don't expect it to be as quick or reliable as at home or on shore

:)

Of course not, I have also been on Azamara cruises were the connection has been acceptable. But as I experienced last time; and what other people have told in this thread, sometimes it is so slow and unreliable that it is almost useless.

Dear mara01; it does not help to have logoff.com as a bookmark when it takes ten minutes before the server reacts. You are charged for the ten minutes.