Sitka or Skagway

lovethecaribbean31

Both are very worthwhile ports and it is always hard for me to choose. :)

Skagway is gold rush history, scenery. Sitka has a great wildlife boat tour. Both have excellent Park Service activities.

Are there any other differences in the itineraries??? Price?? Budget Fully for costly excursions.

Why not go on the Carnival Spirit, which stops at both places. I wouldn't have wanted to miss either one! We went in July and loved it! Also, Carnival has the best rates--they have discounts for military (reserves, retired or active), seniors, past passengers, etc. The Spirit is a great ship!! Do I sound like a commercial? :D It's just that we had such a GREAT time last month!!

If you want to cruise Celebrity or RCI (neither of which cruises Glacier Bay....) then I'd opt for the itinerary that included both .. I prefer Sitka to Skagway but have been to both several times.. if this is your first trip you will find more than enough to do in both.. Carnival Spirit I believe only cruises College Fjord... which is very scenic but IMHO only (again) would prefer Hubbard Glacier over that if I was giving up Glacier Bay. Is there a reason you are not considering Princess or HAL with Glacier Bay on the itinerary???

from the Sun Princess and please believe me that Glacier Bay is NOT to be missed. Only Princess has the passage rights here and I wouldn't consider a cruise without Glacier Bay. This is not a party cruise like in the carribbean - select the cruiseline with the best itinerary- Princess.

Went to both Sitka and Skagway on our cruise in June. We had a good time with our tours in Skagway, but wasn't impressed with the town. IMHO the town of Skagway is a tourist trap. It had all of these rustic looking buildings that had very expensive Rodeo Drive type of jewelry stores in them.

We loved and were very impressed with Sitka. Sitka will definitely be on our list of places to go back to on our next Alaskan cruise.

Went to both Sitka and Skagway on our cruise in June. We had a good time with our tours in Skagway, but wasn't impressed with the town. IMHO the town of Skagway is a tourist trap. It had all of these rustic looking buildings that had very expensive Rodeo Drive type of jewelry stores in them.

The best part of Skagway is when you leave the town of Skagway IMO. The scenary is awesome around Skagway!

Given a choice i would choose Sitka - remember you can drive to Skagway easily from Whitehorse as part of a Alaska highway adventure whereas you need to ferry to visit Sitka.

Sitka is on the itinerary of my next cruise and was one of the reasons why I chose that cruise.

Cheers

Dennis

Archived