Specialty Dining- Appropriate Length of Dinner Times

darkprayer

Hi everyone,

I have a question for those that have eaten a lot at the specialty dinning options.

We are sailing on the Epic in December. We have pre-booked all dinning with our UDP at 6pm, because of the shows.

Should I be expecting 2 to 3 hours at these establishments, like we had on the Pearl to Alaska last September?

When we were on the Pearl, we bought the special 3 night package. Every night we were at the specialty dinners for at least 2 hours. WAY longer then the MDR.

Out of the 3 nights we special dined, we walked out of 2 before desert, because it was getting so late and we had to get the kid's from the Splash Academy before they closed (10:30). Yes, we booked later dinners so me and the hub could dine alone those nights. Usually at 8pm, maybe this was the problem? Dining so late.

The 2 that we walked out of was Cagney's and La Cucina. Cagney's caught us leaving and had desert delivered to the room and apologized. Sadly, they decided to deliver it at almost midnight and that didn't improve the bad experience!

I would appreciate any input.

Is this the norm even thought the website says hour and a half?

We're we eating to late?

Or should I expect more time since the Epic is so large!

Thank you!

My suggestion would be to tell them you need to limit your time there. If they new ahead of time you had to be at the splash academy, or anywhere else for that matter. (A show time, for example), they would hustle up and shorten your dinner time, I would think.

Harvey

My suggestion would be to tell them you need to limit your time there. If they new ahead of time you had to be at the splash academy, or anywhere else for that matter. (A show time, for example), they would hustle up and shorten your dinner time, I would think.

Harvey

They actually knew. They always had some excuse for why it was taking so long. Short on servers, short on cooks. Place is full, we are trying.....ect.

So, is it the norm to keep you there for a long time? Have you had better success at telling you them that you are in a hurry cause I sure haven't!

We just came off the Jewel 6 days ago and dined in specialty restaurants 4 different nights. We were not rushed, nor did our dining times drag on. I would say one hour to one hour 15 minutes was probably a good average. We could have stayed much longer if we'd have wanted to, of course.

Our experience on all NCL ships where we have gone to the specialty restaurants is that the service is very good and if we're in there for longer than 90 minutes, it is due to us talking and relaxing a lot.

We have always the majority of our dinners in a specialty restaurant, and it usually takes 1,5 hours in total, if it takes longer, then it has been our choice (wanting to finish the wine or something to that nature).

So if you plan on using 2 hours you should be fine - it will probably be quicker than that. :)

We usually stay for 2 hours but that is because we want to and don't have to be anywhere. I think if I wanted to get out quickly to meet another deadline I would be hustling the staff, calling the ships Restaurant Manager, Food and Beverage Manager and maybe the Hotel Director. All of those people would want to know your problem and would do something about it.

I think you've been really lucky to have eaten in the main dining rooms and been out in less than 2 hours!

My experience from 16 NCL cruises is that it is incredibly rare to get out of the main dining room for dinner in under 2 hours. If you want to make the shows, you'd have a better shot in the specialty dining.