Can you "fudge" a child's age?

amcjeep4life

I would be travelling with my 5 year old nephew, and wondered if any one has successfully "fudged" their child to be slightly older? Looking to cruise mid-April, he'd be 6 the beginning of June. I just worry that he'd be bored in with the babies. He has an older brother (11, so not looking to have them together), and he is used to "older kid" activities. He's done preK, and is in K now. Everything I have read sounds like they can be pretty strict about keeping kids in the right age groups, but what if I just told them he was 6?

You would have to make a fraudulent birth certificate which could end up being felony charges. I really wouldn't want to do that just for a vacation. I would just check once you get on board to see if the child could go with the others. Would be better than being charged with a crime and missing the boat.

I"d just go an see the first day of camp.

Whether they will move him up will depend on how many other children there are of that age . You can understand that they cannot have a blanket policy of just moving everyone around as that would be quite chaotic but I am sure they can make decisions based on individual cases.

Obviously, I would list his actual birthdate on the cruise documents. I just don't remember showing any of that to CC when I used it back in '12. I guess I was thinking when I signed him up at CC I could just say he just turned 6. My fear is that he will HATE CC if we can't get him into an older group. I would not force him to go there, and I would feel terrible if he didn't have fun while his older brother was having a blast. Ugh. Silly rules.

No fudge on the age.

They might let him move up but it's not likely in mid-April.

Since it's spring break season, there's likely to be lots of kids on the ship.

Doesn't hurt to ask though.

It is Spring Break. Here at least. I think he'd be fine if there were a bunch of other 4 and 5 year olds to play with. My biggest fear is him and 30 other kids all under 3. He'd go bonkers.

You would have to make a fraudulent birth certificate which could end up being felony charges. I really wouldn't want to do that just for a vacation. I would just check once you get on board to see if the child could go with the others. Would be better than being charged with a crime and missing the boat.

Oh please. I don't think the OP, or just about any other cruiser, would go to those lengths just to get a kid placed in a particular age group.

Worried about this with my DGrD years ago. Luckily you're going when there will be lots of kids on board and chances are, he'll meet other 5 yr. olds at CC who are also almost 6. My DGrD met 3 or 4 who were almost ready for the next age group and she enjoyed activities with them. If she had complained about being bored after that 1st day, I would have looked into switching.

Oh please. I don't think the OP, or just about any other cruiser, would go to those lengths just to get a kid placed in a particular age group.

It wouldn't surprise me if it has happened.

(Not saying OP would)

Obviously, I would list his actual birthdate on the cruise documents. I just don't remember showing any of that to CC when I used it back in '12. I guess I was thinking when I signed him up at CC I could just say he just turned 6. My fear is that he will HATE CC if we can't get him into an older group. I would not force him to go there, and I would feel terrible if he didn't have fun while his older brother was having a blast. Ugh. Silly rules.

They have access to the ship's records and AFIK they do cross check the ages.

It wouldn't surprise me if it has happened.

(Not saying OP would)

My Grandmother had a friend who was in Vaudeville with her parents (early 20th Century) In those days you played circuits all over the country. Different states had different ages children could work.

Back then most small town's Hall of Records or Vital Statistics Department was a bureaucrat with a pen and pile of forms and a file cabinet. So a couple of bucks got you new birth certificate pretty fast.

So when they played Altoona , she was 6, when they played Schentecedy she was 7, by the time they got to Walla Walla she was 9. *LOL*

I guess it happened so much that by the time she was very old , she had no idea how old she was . She had it down to somewhere between 81 and 88

My Grandmother had a friend who was in Vaudeville with her parents (early 20th Century) In those days you played circuits all over the country. Different states had different ages children could work.

Back then most small town's Hall of Records or Vital Statistics Department was a bureaucrat with a pen and pile of forms and a file cabinet. So a couple of bucks got you new birth certificate pretty fast.

So when they played Altoona , she was 6, when they played Schentecedy she was 7, by the time they got to Walla Walla she was 9. *LOL*

I guess it happened so much that by the time she was very old , she had no idea how old she was . She had it down to somewhere between 81 and 88

Much easier back then, before computer databases etc.

Don't hear about any enlistment age fudging much past the Korean War.

If this is on spring break, there are going to be lots of other kids this age and the counsellors are great working with the kids and getting them involved in activities - I wouldn't worry about it too much! This is their job!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sure, I would go ahead and do it! I've been getting my niece HAMMERED at adult places since she was 15. It's all in good fun and some drinks and fibbing about a few years never hurt anyone :D

Heck yeah. And I let my kid drive when he was 14, because I thought he would have more fun doing that rather than biking around the neighborhood with all those 13 year old babies.

To the OP, they have their rules about age limits for a reason. If you don't want to follow their rules, don't go. Seems pretty simple to me.

Oh' please? I work with the public everyday. The public does some crazy things these days.

As for my reply, I was answering the OP's question as she put it. She wanted to know about if anyone has "fudged" a kids birthdate. How else can someone lie about a birthdate? You may not be aware that to cruise you have to have your BC and ID or passport. To lie about a kids age one would have to produce a fraudulent BC. How else can you lie about the age? When the kids are booked, their age is listed in the documents that CC gets. So, as I stated she would have to make a fraudulent BC to "fudge" the birthdate.

Oh' please? I work with the public everyday. The public does some crazy things these days.

As for my reply, I was answering the OP's question as she put it. She wanted to know about if anyone has "fudged" a kids birthdate. How else can someone lie about a birthdate? You may not be aware that to cruise you have to have your BC and ID or passport. To lie about a kids age one would have to produce a fraudulent BC. How else can you lie about the age? When the kids are booked, their age is listed in the documents that CC gets. So, as I stated she would have to make a fraudulent BC to "fudge" the birthdate.

Fake IDs are pretty common in the 15- 20 group, anyone remember those days? I don't think anyone would fake a child's ID nowadays just to get them in a camp, but I suppose some do it for pageants, etc. The main thing to remember about camp is that the schedule comes out at the beginning of the week. As the adult, plan your kid-free time around their schedule as much as you can.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Fake IDs are pretty common in the 15- 20 group, anyone remember those days? I don't think anyone would fake a child's ID nowadays just to get them in a camp, but I suppose some do it for pageants, etc. The main thing to remember about camp is that the schedule comes out at the beginning of the week. As the adult, plan your kid-free time around their schedule as much as you can.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Fake IDs are far less common with kids than they used to be. They're too expensive to believably duplicate these days. Document forgery is for grown ups with money trying to hide their identity or steal yours.