Upgrade Fairy Question

kirian

Quick question (Bob will probably chime in with an answer before I even finish posting....lol)....

If the Upgrade Fairy picks you, do they give you the choice to stay were you are as opposed to taking the upgrade? I have my profile settings on RCCL set to allow upgrades under certain circumstances, but the options I chose, don't actually apply directly to my concern. I like to be mid-ship (due to sea sickness issues) and as much as I would love a sudden upgrade to a balcony, for example, I wouldn't want it if it was too far fore or aft. Unfortunately, "mid-ship" wasn't an option to select. I was scared to just put "automatically upgrade" so I chose "keep me near friends and family" and "don't move me down a deck."

Is it really necessary or can I keep the box checked for "automatically" upgrade knowing that they will give me the option to go with the upgrade or stay in my original cabin?

I know chances of the Upgrade Fairy visiting me are extremely slim, but with my luck, she would visit and I would end up in part of the ship that I might not feel is necessarily an upgrade from the cabin I initially chose.

Thanks for your advice!

Melissa

Quick question (Bob will probably chime in with an answer before I even finish posting....lol)....

If the Upgrade Fairy picks you, do they give you the choice to stay were you are as opposed to taking the upgrade? I have my profile settings on RCCL set to allow upgrades under certain circumstances, but the options I chose, don't actually apply directly to my concern. I like to be mid-ship (due to sea sickness issues) and as much as I would love a sudden upgrade to a balcony, for example, I wouldn't want it if it was too far fore or aft. Unfortunately, "mid-ship" wasn't an option to select. I was scared to just put "automatically upgrade" so I chose "keep me near friends and family" and "don't move me down a deck."

Is it really necessary or can I keep the box checked for "automatically" upgrade knowing that they will give me the option to go with the upgrade or stay in my original cabin?

I know chances of the Upgrade Fairy visiting me are extremely slim, but with my luck, she would visit and I would end up in part of the ship that I might not feel is necessarily an upgrade from the cabin I initially chose.

Thanks for your advice!

Melissa

If you choose automatic upgrade they will move you without asking first.

Just a guess Melissa, but I would assume that if you have opted for automatic upgrade with certain conditions, and they can move you and meet your conditions, then you won't get a call, they will just move you.

The odds of getting an upgrade are so slim, that it really doesn't matter! They don't call you in advance. So, if you like your location, it's best to mark "no upgrade".

We have always been called prior to leaving when an upgrade was offered. And this was even before I had them add the "call before upgrading" to my file.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the feedback and your thoughts. I definitely won't be checking the "automatically upgrade" box then :(

Melissa

Melissa, if you want to be called prior to be automatically upgraded, you must call C&A and have them note that in your file. There is no box to check for that in your selections.

Edited by cruisenfever

We have always been called prior to leaving when an upgrade was offered. And this was even before I had them add the "call before upgrading" to my file.

Melissa, if you want to be called prior to be automatically upgraded, you must call C&A and have them note that in your file. There is no box to check for that in your selections.

Hi Patti - thanks so much for that tip! As I said, I know it's very unlikely that I would even get an upgrade, but in the odd chance I get visited by the fairy, I would love an option of staying put versus moving. I will definitely take your advice and call C&A and have them note that in my file (then switch back to the "automatically upgrade" box). Normally, I could care less about being in my interior cabin, but if the fairy would love to surprise me with a free upgrade to balcony for my TA next year, I certainly wouldn't complain :D

Melissa

Just a little update...

I just got off the phone with C&A (spoke with Fiona, who was lovely). After putting me on hold to double check some things, she told me they couldn't put anything in my file that would guarantee that they would call before giving me a free upgrade.... the most they could do would be to upgrade me based on the preferences I selected in the profile screen. Since my "main" concern is being mid-ship, she suggested I check the box for "I only wish to be upgraded to a stateroom near an elevator" since these are usually somewhere in the middle third of the ship. She stated that if I was upgraded and didn't like the particular room, I could then call and be asked to be moved to another cabin in the same category as the upgrade (if one was available that I preferred).

She stated that the only time they would actually call prior to upgrading for free is if the upgrade would result in higher gratuity charges or something similar. Otherwise, they would only call if the upgrade offered was at an actual cost (as opposed to when the true "Upgrade Fairy" visits).

Again, none of this is a huge concern since an upgrade is unlikely, but I figured I would at least post the info I just received as a "Public Service Announcement" for anyone interested :)

Melissa

Thanks for reporting back Melissa. I don't like the idea of moving someone without calling, because you might have a very nice stateroom, like a corner aft, and by the time you call to tell them you don't like where you've been moved, your original stateroom is gone. If it's really true that they don't call anymore, then it's probably best for us to select to select "no upgrade".

All three of my upgrades have been handled differently. The first was our first cruise on RCCL and we didn't find out until we checked in, JR to GS. The second time my DW noticed our reservations showed a different cabin number than originally booked, balcony to JS. And the third time they called two weeks out asking if we would like an upgrade from balcony to JS. Took all of .25 nanoseconds to accept.

Phil

Thanks for reporting back Melissa. I don't like the idea of moving someone without calling, because you might have a very nice stateroom, like a corner aft, and by the time you call to tell them you don't like where you've been moved, your original stateroom is gone. If it's really true that they don't call anymore, then it's probably best for us to select to select "no upgrade".

You're so right (as usual) Bob. The only the upgrade fairy visited us, we had no advance notice. We boarded, excitedly walked to what we thought was the aft balcony we selected 18 months prior, and found our key didn't work. We went to guest services to find we'd been upgraded to a JS. Initially, I was furious because I REALLY wanted the aft-facing balcony. Once I saw the coffee-maker and walk-in-closet in the JS, all was forgiven ;)

Edited by 1ParticularHbr