Cruising Carnival to Alaska

Lance'sBride

It seems like very few people here cruise to Alaska on Carnival (I know they don't offer a ton of options so I'm sure that's part of it). We had a credit on Carnival from a cancelled Caribbean cruise when we decided to give Alaska a try. It was actually kind of nice to have limited options because it was less overwhelming. :) We've cruised Carnival several times and always enjoyed ourselves, though when it comes to vacations we're fairly easy going and don't find much to complain about. So, just wondering if anyone here has cruised to Alaska on Carnival and has any reviews, tips, recommendations, etc. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It seems like very few people here cruise to Alaska on Carnival (I know they don't offer a ton of options so I'm sure that's part of it). We had a credit on Carnival from a cancelled Caribbean cruise when we decided to give Alaska a try. It was actually kind of nice to have limited options because it was less overwhelming. :) We've cruised Carnival several times and always enjoyed ourselves' date=' though when it comes to vacations we're fairly easy going and don't find much to complain about. So, just wondering if anyone here has cruised to Alaska on Carnival and has any reviews, tips, recommendations, etc. Thanks![/quote'] We sailed in July and my review is at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2098938. Understand that this cruise is different from those that Legend will sail next year since Miracle had a propulsion issue that caused her to skip Ketchikan and add time in Juneau and Victoria. If we kept our original schedule we would not have had time in Juneau to do both the Mendenhall River float trip and the Mount Roberts tram.

If you can, I would highly recommend the Tracy Arm small boat excursion. It gets you a lot closer to the glaciers than the ship can sail.

As noted by PP, the Legend will replace the Miracle in 2015. If you specifically want info about the Legend, have a look in MEMBER REVIEWS of the ship. Or if you want to know about Carnival in Alaska, you can sort MEMBER REVIEWS for that info.

If you want info about activities & excursions at the ports, trip reports are a helpful resource. They're in STICKYs near the top of the page. There are only 5 or 6 reports for Carnival in 2014, and 10 in the 2013 list (go to reply #45 where reports are sorted by cruiseline/ship). The reports for both years are for Miracle.

IMHO, Carnival doesn't have the strongest itinerary but OTOH, as long as you're visiting ports YOU want to visit and have time for your planned activities at each port , use that credit !

Edited by mapleleaves

Been on 2 Carnival cruises to Glacier Bay. Loved 'em both. Fabulous scenery that has to be experienced in person.

Just go thru past posts on this forum and you'll finds tons of info about the ports you're stopping at. Planning it is half the fun. Alaska is a special place..I hope you have a memorable cruise.

We booked Carnival for Alaska for next year. Everything was the same as the NCL we had previously booked but when we realized we could save a little over $2000 by going with Carnival- we changed! We've done a few on Carnival and have always loved it so why not? I'm also looking for any reviews on Carnival so I'll be watching this! lol

Thank you! The one we booked actually does Glacier Bay instead of Tracy Arm. This made me even more excited' date=' thanks for sharing! I'm jealous you got to sail with John Heald, his blog and FB posts crack me up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/quote']

You'll be happy to learn that John Heald will be the cruise director next year on the Legend as well. We're booked on the Legend in July 2015 (our 3rd Alaskan cruise), but that first cruise of the season that goes to Glacier Bay is a great plus. GB is a definite "must-see" location.

Just know that the Alaskan cruises are not "party-central" like the Caribbean cruises are. Although I'm a Carnival fan, we went with Princess for our first two Alaskan cruises only because of the itineraries. After 10-11 pm, it was a ghost town on both ships. People rest up for the next day's activities and do not party until the wee hours. Hopefully, Carnival will be a more active but from what I've read, people still don't go crazy on the Alaskan cruises, even on Carnival. This is a good thing. It more about what you're seeing outside the ship rather than what's on the ship.

You'll be happy to learn that John Heald will be the cruise director next year on the Legend as well. We're booked on the Legend in July 2015 (our 3rd Alaskan cruise)' date=' but that first cruise of the season that goes to Glacier Bay is a great plus. GB is a definite "must-see" location.

Just know that the Alaskan cruises are not "party-central" like the Caribbean cruises are. Although I'm a Carnival fan, we went with Princess for our first two Alaskan cruises only because of the itineraries. After 10-11 pm, it was a ghost town on both ships. People rest up for the next day's activities and do not party until the wee hours. Hopefully, Carnival will be a more active but from what I've read, people still don't go crazy on the Alaskan cruises, even on Carnival. This is a good thing. It more about what you're seeing outside the ship rather than what's on the ship.[/quote']

Where did you see John Heald will be the cruise director? We are on the June 9th Legend sailing and read where someone else will be the cruise director.

Just know that the Alaskan cruises are not "party-central" like the Caribbean cruises are. Although I'm a Carnival fan' date=' we went with Princess for our first two Alaskan cruises only because of the itineraries. After 10-11 pm, it was a ghost town on both ships. People rest up for the next day's activities and do not party until the wee hours. Hopefully, Carnival will be a more active but from what I've read, people still don't go crazy on the Alaskan cruises, even on Carnival. This is a good thing. It more about what you're seeing outside the ship rather than what's on the ship.[/quote']

My only Carnival cruise was way back in 2001, so things may have changed a bit since then, but I would say that the demographics and party-level was about the same on Carnival as on my 6 Princess cruises. Lots of families with kids, lots of older people, no rowdy pool games. The ship was typical Carnival decor, and the entertainment was the typical Carnival type shows, but otherwise it was a very similar feeling to my Princess cruises.

We're definitely ok with it not being party central. We're 29 but consider ourselves old souls. :) Just looking forward to a glass of wine and some sleep that we don't get at home with the kiddos.

Where do you find the cruise director schedule? The one I found was only through February so it must be outdated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Where did you see John Heald will be the cruise director? We are on the June 9th Legend sailing and read where someone else will be the cruise director.

He said it on his Facebook page. I am sailing 6/2/15, the week before you. I sent him a FB message and he confirmed that he will be the CD on my cruise :D

We are booked on the 5/18/15 sailing Vancouver to Seattle on Carnival. Airfare was a bit more since it wasn't RT but I liked the path this cruise took (including inside passage plus Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm) We've taken many Caribbean cruises with Carnival and loved every one so there was no hesitation on our part to book Alaska with Carnival as well. The path the ship took and going to Glacier Bay was the most important aspect and then price. Carnival won. So excited!!!!

He said it on his Facebook page. I am sailing 6/2/15, the week before you. I sent him a FB message and he confirmed that he will be the CD on my cruise :D

Thank you for confirming that JH will be the cruise director for Alaska 2015. I read the info on his blog.

I have sailed Carnival to Alaska many times, including 3 times this year. I agree that their itinerary this season was the worse for Alaska. :) But next year, that should be back on track. :) Correct- NO party ships in Alaska, demographics are similar on all lines, so not an overall issue for an Alaska cruise selection.

What Carnival does have is one of the top 3 ship naturalists sailing Alaska- Michelle. This can be extremely beneficial to a first timer.

Contrast- I didn't find it any benefit for "Alaska", with John Heald. The same jokes were repeated every week, with nothing new. :)

I also will state- it is "necessary" to consider the add on Tracy Arm tour, you are NOT likely to get past Sawyer Island- and lacking view of the South Sawyer Glacier. This tour is grossly superior to the cruise ship transit.

You'll be happy to learn that John Heald will be the cruise director next year on the Legend as well. We're booked on the Legend in July 2015 (our 3rd Alaskan cruise)' date=' but that first cruise of the season that goes to Glacier Bay is a great plus. GB is a definite "must-see" location.

.[/quote']

I thought I read it somewhere but when I asked the question in an email one of the beards answered and responded with "the cruise director schedule for next summer is not out yet'

but I like your answers better! I hope he is still on the Legend in July

Drat I don't think my itinerary goes to Tracy Arm. not early or late enough I guess? wonder if there are any other opportunities to take the small boat excursions to get close to the glaciers. plenty of time to do some research

If you are on Carnival in July, then you are going to Tracy Arm. (it may be Glacier Bay you are thinking??) From my point of view, the add on ship tour is "necessary" and I ALWAYS book it. Carnival will be offering this.

If you are on Carnival in July, then you are going to Tracy Arm. (it may be Glacier Bay you are thinking??) From my point of view, the add on ship tour is "necessary" and I ALWAYS book it. Carnival will be offering this.

which port? and do you know the name of the excursion? looking now but don't see anything with that name?

(Go Orangemen)