QV hints needed

oofroggie

Can anyone please help me. As I make multi trips to the bathroom at night is there a electrical outlet in the bathroom for a night light that does not require the overhead light to be on. Also any other useful hints as I will be on the Queen Victoria for 108 days. This is my first time with Cunard and am quite excited for this trip. Thanks

Hi oofroggie,

Click on the link below for an excellent review of QV:-

http://www.pcurtis.com/qv-intro.htm

From memory there are only Shaver Outlet(s) in the bathroom, if you can find a connection for these then you can plug a night light in one of the outlets.

There is a Roll Call for Queen Victoria and I am sure you will find lots of information in a Roll Call specific to your Cruise, I believe I posted some photographs of the outlets in Staterooms on another thread to you.

Best wishes,

Dave

Can anyone please help me. As I make multi trips to the bathroom at night is there a electrical outlet in the bathroom for a night light that does not require the overhead light to be on. Also any other useful hints as I will be on the Queen Victoria for 108 days. This is my first time with Cunard and am quite excited for this trip. Thanks

My daughter and I ALWAYS bring a battery-operated tap light to use.

Wish I had a picture to post but perhaps you can find one on Google?

Like fantasy I also find my way in the dark. However, my husband prefers some light. We have a little battery led light that you press to turn on, bought in a pound shop! I also remember seeing the suggestion of using one of those fake candle lights in the bathroom.

We use a fake candle in the bathroom. Just enough light. Usually from the bed to the bathroom there is enough light from outside coming under the door to see your way. Unless you block it out with a towel anyway which my hubby has a habit of doing:rolleyes:.

As has been previously mentioned, a small torch would be great but personally, I have downloaded a free app on my phone called "Flashlight" which allows you to switch on to a pretty powerful beam of light, ideal for the occasions such as you have mentioned - try it, it's very good.

David

Hi neighbor....we are in Clearwater and will be on QV in Feb. Our first Cunard cruise too. Where are you going?

The one time we took a night light to try to plug into the shaver outlet I discovered that the outlet wouldn't fit a polarized plug (where one prong is larger) so I never learned whether it worked when the light switch was off. This could have been on QM2 or QV.

We leave the light on and the door closed (or nearly so) so DW can see to make her nighttime trips to the loo.

The one time we took a night light to try to plug into the shaver outlet I discovered that the outlet wouldn't fit a polarized plug (where one prong is larger) so I never learned whether it worked when the light switch was off. This could have been on QM2 or QV.

We leave the light on and the door closed (or nearly so) so DW can see to make her nighttime trips to the loo.

Doesn't that mean that the extractor fan stays on as well?

Unless there has been a rewiring since December 2011, in a Deck 5 balcony cabin on QV we were easily able to plug a nightlight into the shaver outlet which (unlike QM2) is at counter level and does retain power when the main light switch is off.

As for the other items broached on this thread: we have always planned on bringing a "battery-powered candle" (sic) to try on our next cruise but never seem to remember; on QM2 we found that enough light passes under the hallway door to render a nightlight superfluous; and I have yet to see on any ship a powered exhaust fan in a stateroom bath.

If I remember right, there was a small light that stayed on in the Bathroom when the main light was turned off at night. But I used a night light that turned on when the light went off and off when the light was on. No problem with the plugs at all. Also, I had a small battery powered light I put on the night stand to use in the cabin to get to the bathroom. The suite I had, had a pole in the middle of the room that was a real problem in the middle of the night. I am a very poor pole dancer for sure.

Is there a fan? Most of my time has been on QM2 but I don't remember one on either ship aside from the normal bathroom ventilation which isn't tied to the light.

Yes, over the shower there is some sort of suction thing to take the steam away. Whether it's called a fan or not, I don't know. It comes on when you put the bathroom light on and goes off a short while after you turn the light off.

Unless there has been a rewiring since December 2011, in a Deck 5 balcony cabin on QV we were easily able to plug a nightlight into the shaver outlet which (unlike QM2) is at counter level and does retain power when the main light switch is off.

As for the other items broached on this thread: we have always planned on bringing a "battery-powered candle" (sic) to try on our next cruise but never seem to remember; on QM2 we found that enough light passes under the hallway door to render a nightlight superfluous; and I have yet to see on any ship a powered exhaust fan in a stateroom bath.

Here is a photo of the fan in our QV (Britannia balcony) bathroom (top of picture). On the QM2 (Britannia balcony) the extractors are over the shower.

347bl91.jpg

A similar one I found on the internet is described as a Marine Exhaust Air Duct Fan:

Marine-font-b-Exhaust-b-font-Air-Duct-font-b-Fan-b-font-font-b-Cover.jpg_250x250.jpg

It comes on when you turn the bathroom light on and switches off a short while after you turn the light off.

I'm not sure how else you would imagine the steam from your shower would be removed?

To my observation the vents in the photos are connected to a common exhaust system but there are no fans for the individual staterooms. It's all part of a system and I expect the fan(s) are at the point of discharge.

You can adjust the air flow somewhat by turning the cone-shaped core in or out.