Back to the "old" OBC leftover policy

Pam in CA

Why are you "very disappointed" and "feeling blindsided"? There are no limitations on using that money precisely as intended: to spend on any and all onboard expenses. You seem to forget that it wasn't your money to begin with. This attitude is precisely why I support Princess 100% in this new policy. You people have essentially been using the ship as one giant ATM.

I think Princess is making a big mistake.....much less likely to sail them because one of the reasons we liked them is because of their treatment of OBC's....this seems like bait and switch now....I am more worried about my bottom line then Princess'...:)

I think Princess is making a big mistake.....much less likely to sail them because one of the reasons we liked them is because of their treatment of OBC's....this seems like bait and switch now....I am more worried about my bottom line then Princess'...:)
Why would this be a "bait & switch"? You still get the OBC and are able to combine them. The current (up until now) policy of all OBC being refundable has been the case for only a year. Before last October, some OBC was refundable and some wasn't. It appears to me that they're just going back to the same system they've had for years.

Why are you "very disappointed" and "feeling blindsided"? There are no limitations on using that money precisely as intended: to spend on any and all onboard expenses. You seem to forget that it wasn't your money to begin with. This attitude is precisely why I support Princess 100% in this new policy. You people have essentially been using the ship as one giant ATM.

I agree. Buy some jewellery , buy some sunglasses , buy a drink, buy some perfume , it pays the tips , have a massage , get a hair cut, eat in Crown Grill ......... The list is endless :)

I agree as well.

This is "OBC" Onboard Credit, not Princess Cash or Money To Take Home; but rather a reward from Princess for its passengers to use while onboard.

Personally I think it should all be non refundable as it is a gift from Princess designed for the passenger's enjoyment while cruising.

Mike

Why are you "very disappointed" and "feeling blindsided"? There are no limitations on using that money precisely as intended: to spend on any and all onboard expenses.

...except that there have been many posts here about 'free' cruises.

Where people expected to book a cruise for $398, and receive $400

in OBC.

Really the cruise is only 'free', if you are able to cash the OBC and

use it to pay the Credit Card bill for the cruise fare.

So, whenever I read the 'free' posts, I thought it was a risky idea.

And, with all the OBC princess is currently giving away, I think an

enforcement like this was inevitable.

For an upcoming 5-day cruise, I have $400 in non-refundable OBC, and

about another $175 in OBC. The $175 will cover tips, a soda sticker,

and one or two nights at crown grill. I have no idea what I am going

to do with the $400, but I hope princess has loaded a good supply of

liquor.

As of today's sailing, Princess has reversed their policy of treating all OBC the same. This has been the case for the last year. Now, when you board, OBC from certain sources will have a "NR" next to the OBC on your folio, meaning it's non-refundable.

My final folio from this morning from the Royal shows my FCC OBC, "loyalty" OBC and shareholder OBC marked as NR. So they are non-refundable from now on.

Spend all of it, much safer for you.

...except that there have been many posts here about 'free' cruises.

Where people expected to book a cruise for $398, and receive $400

in OBC.

Really the cruise is only 'free', if you are able to cash the OBC and

use it to pay the Credit Card bill for the cruise fare.

So, whenever I read the 'free' posts, I thought it was a risky idea.

And, with all the OBC princess is currently giving away, I think an

enforcement like this was inevitable.

For an upcoming 5-day cruise, I have $400 in non-refundable OBC, and

about another $175 in OBC. The $175 will cover tips, a soda sticker,

and one or two nights at crown grill. I have no idea what I am going

to do with the $400, but I hope princess has loaded a good supply of

liquor.

This is exactly our situation. If I check my folio and there is extra OBC there at the end of the cruise (night before) I will see if I can allocate it as extra gratuites to the crew who always take such good care of us.

Jackie

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

This is exactly our situation. If I check my folio and there is extra OBC there at the end of the cruise (night before) I will see if I can allocate it as extra gratuites to the crew who always take such good care of us.

That would be cool. Especially if one could direct it to a specific

individual -- like steward, or waiter.

This is what we have always done. We don't walk off the ship with cash; we don't buy drinks or photos or things we don't need. If there is anything left, it always goes right to the crew. This also gives us the chance to recognize more than just those people who have been directly involved with us every day, but who still enhanced our cruise experience, such as the Accommodations person cleaning public areas who always made a point of greeting us or the deck steward keeping the hot tubs clean. We don't have to carry a lot of cash to the ship, and we don't carry it home with us, either.

Edited by PescadoAmarillo

I agree as well.

This is "OBC" Onboard Credit, not Princess Cash or Money To Take Home; but rather a reward from Princess for its passengers to use while onboard.

Personally I think it should all be non refundable as it is a gift from Princess designed for the passenger's enjoyment while cruising.

Mike

Sorry, but after rereading Princess description of OBC I have to disagree. "Onboard Credits are essentially onboard spending money that is applied to your shipboard folio. At the end of your cruise, these credits are applied to your final balance due. You may receive these credits as a result of a special promotion from Princess or your travel agent." I don't see OBC as a reward, (other than the Military OBC) but as an incentive to get me to choose Princess. If the credits are applied to my final balance due and there is some left over, I think I should get it. Just as I am happy that I don't owe anything if the OBCs took care of the onboard spending. If Princess wants to treat OBC differently, I think they could start by changing the wording of the definition and maybe that is going to happen soon.

It's strange though when I look in my personalizer, they have a star only by the $400 Princess gave us (which says those must be used on board), but not the shareholders.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As it was explained to me on the Royal cruise that I also was on with Pam, the shareholder obc is not refundable. I was given a list of non refundable credit and refundable credit. The only refundable credit listed was the military obc and "goodwill" credit given by Princess foe various reasons. This new policy was due to start on the Royal with the cruise right after ours.

The asterisks on the cruise personalizer are not the final word and will likely catch up soon with the new policy. The shareholder obc on our folio of charges was clearly listed as non refundable as well as the various promo obc and the obc from our FCC. The folio appears to be the official word and the one used by the purser's office as to what obc an be refunded. Sorry to confirm the bad news

The only refundable credit listed was the military obc and "goodwill" credit given by Princess foe various reasons.

I have a goodwill credit from princess from some issues with a BVE.

In my personalizer, this shows as non refundable.

I always get a chuckle over how consistent princess is...

As it was explained to me on the Royal cruise that I also was on with Pam, the shareholder obc is not refundable. I was given a list of non refundable credit and refundable credit. The only refundable credit listed was the military obc and "goodwill" credit given by Princess foe various reasons. This new policy was due to start on the Royal with the cruise right after ours.

The asterisks on the cruise personalizer are not the final word and will likely catch up soon with the new policy. The shareholder obc on our folio of charges was clearly listed as non refundable as well as the various promo obc and the obc from our FCC. The folio appears to be the official word and the one used by the purser's office as to what obc an be refunded. Sorry to confirm the bad news

The problem with this explanation is that the folio can not be "official" as it is prepared post-purchase after someone has reasonably relied on other terms in deciding whether to make the final payment. What is shown on the Cruise Personalizer at the time of booking and final payment are contractual terms which Princess must honor. I always take screen shots of the OBC's and bring a printed copy on board with me. Interestingly, the "goodwill" credits we have are shown as non-refundable, as are the shore ex/promo credits. The FCC, military and shareholder are shown as refundable. This was the case when we booked last month, and is still the case as of this morning when I updated my screen shots.

Princess, of course, has the right to change (and apparently has) the policy for all future BOOKINGS, but can't legally change it for future SAILINGS that were previously booked and paid in reliance on a given set of conditions/terms.

Edited by tothemall&beyond

From someone that has not cruised on Princess for several years, not a shareholder or Military Vet (dependent - yes, but not a Vet), I have no sources of OBC other than what would be listed as an incentive for a particular cruise or cabin selection. I am looking at booking soon so I have logged onto the Princess website frequently in the last 2 weeks, but I am not seeing much in the way of OBC listed for many cruises for the 4th quarter. I am hoping that Princess will reevaluate in the next couple of weeks and put some out there - believe me - I'd use it!;)

This sounds a lot like the way Princess instituted new policy on the Regal with room service and Alfredos surcharges. I thought Princess promised to do better next time. As far as I am concerned Princess can call all of the OBCs nonrefundable as long as my folio is settled properly at the end of the cruise. If it shows a plus, I get it. Negative Princess gets it.

When do you actually find out which OBC are refundable vs non-refundable? Once you are onboard by asking at the passenger services desk? It would be nice to know ahead of the cruise. I do not see any clue as to which is which in my personalizer. I have 3 different types of OBC shown. There are no *s or any notes about non-refundable visible to me. Will Princess be able to tell me if I call? (I worry about getting the right answer doing that, though)

Does anyone know about TA OBC (considered a gift, I believe) that was not related to any Princess promotion. Will that be non-refundable also?

In the past I have not had enough OBC to be affected (it is always used), but this upcoming cruise I think I have an issue.

Sorry, but after rereading Princess description of OBC I have to disagree. "Onboard Credits are essentially onboard spending money that is applied to your shipboard folio. At the end of your cruise, these credits are applied to your final balance due. You may receive these credits as a result of a special promotion from Princess or your travel agent." I don't see OBC as a reward, (other than the Military OBC) but as an incentive to get me to choose Princess. If the credits are applied to my final balance due and there is some left over, I think I should get it. Just as I am happy that I don't owe anything if the OBCs took care of the onboard spending. If Princess wants to treat OBC differently, I think they could start by changing the wording of the definition and maybe that is going to happen soon.

I agree......Princess is still giving stuff away free no matter how you look at it and it does not enhance their bottom line whether you spend it on the ship or somewhere else......free.....is free....and when you use it to enhance people to purchase your product then they should stick to what their policy was at the time of booking....I was not notified of this change so as far as I am concerned is is classic bait and switch...unethical business practice by Princess....:eek:

The problem with this explanation is that the folio can not be "official" as it is prepared post-purchase after someone has reasonably relied on other terms in deciding whether to make the final payment. What is shown on the Cruise Personalizer at the time of booking and final payment are contractual terms which Princess must honor. I always take screen shots of the OBC's and bring a printed copy on board with me. Interestingly, the "goodwill" credits we have are shown as non-refundable, as are the shore ex/promo credits. The FCC, military and shareholder are shown as refundable. This was the case when we booked last month, and is still the case as of this morning when I updated my screen shots.

Princess, of course, has the right to change (and apparently has) the policy for all future BOOKINGS, but can't legally change it for future SAILINGS that were previously booked and paid in reliance on a given set of conditions/terms.

My Regal b2b is in the beg of Nov. My Shareholder's OBC for both cruises shows they are refundable. The other 2 OBC credits are non refundable. I think I will make a copy and take some pictures also.

Sali

We received a $78 refund before we disembarked from our cruise last Tuesday morning. I like getting a refund if I have one coming, but it is really no big deal. There are lots of ways to spend money on the ship.

Last December we had about $220 left and just bought a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue Label scotch for DH's brother's birthday as we were headed to his party as soon as we left the ship. Of course, that gift came with a sharing clause. ;)

Next February and March we have cruises with a lot of OBC and Free Gratuities so we will be able to live it up on the ship. We like to treat friends to dinner at the specialty restaurants because we enjoy those restaurants but don't especially like eating alone. We have been together for over 45 years and pretty much know all of one another's stories so we enjoy company when we travel.

My Regal b2b is in the beg of Nov. My Shareholder's OBC for both cruises shows they are refundable. The other 2 OBC credits are non refundable. I think I will make a copy and take some pictures also.

Sali

Where are you seeing this? I see no notations at all when I look in personlizer. I see no *s and no text notes regarding OBC being refundable or non-refundable. Am I looking in the wrong place? Is there another place to look? My cruise is in October, so that should be close enough, but it was booked over a year ago. Hmmmmm, I just realized something. Maybe that is why I can't see it. I do not think Princess updates older bookings when new stuff comes up. I found this out the hard way with dining time assignment on Sapphire cruise.

Yes, I have some OBC on an upcoming cruise... the FCC OBC (marked Onboard Sales Promotion) is refundable and the promotional OBC (marked Onboard Credit Promotion) is not.

And, as Ethel says, the old system is a money leak and from Princess' standpoint it needed to be plugged. I bet they'll see improvements in their yield almost immediately!

I just cashed in $380 on the first leg of my Pacific cruise. On the Pacific Princess

What needs to be changed about the definition?

"Onboard spending money that is applied to your shipboard folio" does not indicate that any credit balances are to be refunded in cash.

It indicates a "use it or lose it" status to me and like PunkiC if we were to have a credit (never going to happen) I would pick up a bottle or a watch, etc and use it rather than leave it.

Mike

Keep in mind that this applies ONLY if you have unspent OBC at the end of the cruise. I don't think it's as big of a deal as some are making it out to be since no one's taking away your credit to be spent onboard.

The bottom line is that TA, shareholder, FCC, etc. OBC are incentives to book Princess and you have all of it to spend onboard. That hasn't changed, thank God.

If you haven't spent it all, buy something. :)

Edited by Pam in CA

If there were people who were removing their Auto-tip and cashing out their remaining OBC, then I think that Princess really should restrict refunds. That would be a truly tacky thing to do.

And you know they have been doing it!

Let the whining begin.:D

Mike:)